PDA

View Full Version : Plated!!!

nubus
12-19-2008, 01:59 PM
I'll hold off on the details for fear of losing it, but...

I GOT A PLATE FOR MY RS YESTERSDAY! WOOT!

Has anybody else here gotten one?

HONDARACER
12-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Good for you. I love riding mine on the road. Kids in Europe dont realize what a great bike it is.

the brit
12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Error 404.

Dissident
12-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Now see, if I thought I could get away with it... Then I'd be down at my dealer already

bourney2007
12-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Why won't anyone go into detail???

As far as i know 125's are illegal in the US right? due to emissions laws?

So you guys have got plates through false details or something? that why you won't go into detail???

the brit
12-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Error 404.

Socket
12-19-2008, 09:15 PM
My 125, as pictured before is plated.

I handed them my title, and said I need license plates. I signed a wavier stating it's street worthy, and they hand me license plates.

I did the same for my Supermoto, KTM250SX (two stroke MX bike...)

nubus
12-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Why won't anyone go into detail???

As far as i know 125's are illegal in the US right? due to emissions laws?

So you guys have got plates through false details or something? that why you won't go into detail???

Mine passed through the DMV and recieved a legit street title.
Now it also says right on the VIN tag "Closed course competition use only."
The MSO states "Off Higway Use." I just told them it wasn't freeway legal.
Fortunately for me they don't physically inspect new MSOs where I live.
It has a 17 digit VIN so my insurance company doesn't care.
Now I would call it a "gray" area, but they could revoke my plate.
So I don't want to mention where I live or where I licensed it.
But it's just up to your state DMV whether you can plate it or not.

Socket
12-19-2008, 10:01 PM
if anyone wants to plate their RS125...Let me know, need to setup an Arizona PO box, and I can help out getting the registration through. It wouldn't be hard, at all.

mike1971
12-20-2008, 09:37 AM
no problemo.

nubus
01-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Got the letter in the mail last week.
My plate has been revoked, bastards!
I'll look into other options now. :bangwall:

dellenty69
01-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Good for you. I love riding mine on the road. Kids in Europe dont realize what a great bike it is.

whats that meant too meen? we ride ours on roads and tracks almost everyday. we know what great bikes they are, and wer fortunate enough to ride them legals on the road straight out the show room.

i do feel for you guys tho.

random0082
01-29-2009, 07:44 AM
I signed a wavier stating it's street worthy, and they hand me license plates.

Just out of interest (i dont know if you guys have insurance the same way as we do etc), does that mean if you have an accident on the road then youre shafted cos you signed the waiver saying street worthy?

tekebird
01-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Proud new owner of a street legal RS-125.

mike1971
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
congrats! May we never be revoked! :) Much fun.

Socket
02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Just out of interest (i dont know if you guys have insurance the same way as we do etc), does that mean if you have an accident on the road then youre shafted cos you signed the waiver saying street worthy?

The waiver I signed proposed that the bike is in street-running shape...functional lights/brake lights..My insurence just wanted a copy of the registration. The waiver is from the state, not my insurence.

MilesWantsA50
02-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Got the letter in the mail last week.
My plate has been revoked, bastards!
I'll look into other options now. :bangwall:

Nubus - What state are you in?

nubus
02-16-2009, 11:22 PM
WA:soap:

Sorted
02-20-2009, 07:38 PM
NUBUS.
What was it that actually happened for you to lose your plates? How did the powers that be decide to revoke the plates AFTER it was already licensed? Is there a federal database that all VIN's are ultimately subjected to?
I am about to attempt to have mine plated very soon here in HI. Euro harness, DOT turn signal, mirrors, horn, plate holder etc are all on the way. Oddly enough, even though the rear brake light is DOT, the front headlights are not. Perhaps a temporary 'street fighter' Acerbis DOT headlight might be put on. All of this stuff added in the event the 17 digit VIN doesn't fly at the DMV. Then I guess it becomes an exercise in patience and grovelling just as it is with plating a dirt bike. There is also the 2 stroke issue which I can't seem to find any definitive federal rulings on, after all in 2005 there was the 2 stroke Vespa PX150 which was DOT/EPA etc. so who knows. Has anyone bothered drilling out the rivets which hold the 'OFF ROAD ONLY' warning plate on the right side of the headstock? The stickers on the left side are a b#tch to remove. There is also a clearly visible stamped warning on the expansion chamber. Well fingers crossed for now but I am already scouting possible 'display' space in my living room if all goes pear shape.

nubus
02-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Sorted,

It was the "OFF HIGHWAY USE" on the MSO that stung me.
I told the agent that meant it wasn't freeway legal and she said, "okay."
They issue the plates over the counter without inspection for new bikes in WA.
Upon review of the MSO when they scanned it at the main office it went into the tailspin.
I got a letter asking me to bring the plate back and complete the registration process for my ORV tabs.
Uh, what the f#ck! Off Road Vehicle tabs, for what, I won't be doing any off roading with this bike.
Anyhow I got them to refund my money, so no street plates for me.
At least for now, I'll pursue other states after I pay it off.
It's definitely a state to state thing.
Not a federal database thing at all.
Even my insurance took the VIN!
F Washington in the A! :bs:

RZRob
02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Only marginally relevant, and won't save you all the time, but here goes.
(and you can see my tips probably wouldn't have helped your cause)

Top 10 DMV Tips
I've gotten a lot accomplished at the DMV in my lifetime and have learned a few things that generally work for me. In the spirit of Christmas, here's some of them:

Don't get there before 4:45PM (assuming they close at 5:00).
Don't give up any information. Just assume you're doing a regular routine and not pulling a fast one.
Don't give up too much paperwork. KISS applies. Plus, you may lose it to them.
Don't blatantly lie, and don't be mean. In fact, be super nice. Tell the DMV lady she reminds you of your wife, daughter, mother...(don't get this nuance wrong) You catch more flies with honey....
Have forms filled out and ready (with signatures) before you get there (download them first at http://www.dmv.ca.gov (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/)). If you need a signature, "run out to the parking lot to get it from the person."
Don't make eye contact - be preoccupied so they don't tend to quiz you.
Minimize things. Don't lay all your problems out there. Spoon feed them one at a time, after each is solved. The order may be your call, but I try to get my most important one in early.
Join AAA. I do all my routine stuff there, but they can't do everything (it's fairly clear what they can & can't do). Unless you just like waiting in lines at the DMV.

Register online whenever possible at http://www.dmv.ca.gov (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/). It's also a great place to get your forms.
Last, but not least - If you don't like how things are going and sense you've hit a road block, STOP everything, take ALL your paperwork and leave. Tell them 'your brother needs to come and register his own bike.' Then refine your story and try again another day at a different DMV or with a different agent.

nubus
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Yes Rob, I even flirted with her and got my plate.
I just didn't get to keep it.

Funny we have a multi-billion dollar budget shortage and they wouldn't take the money!

RZRob
02-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I know. It wouldn't have helped. Flirting with a DMV chick eyh...?I'm getting a vision now.:cheers:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/rzrob/marge.jpg

RZ Rob

fnfalman
02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Nubus,

You have relatives in Arizona, New Mexico or Texas? Hint, hint.