PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting (to me) observations

chrisrappl
12-18-2008, 07:04 PM
I've read the use and mainenance book and scrolled through the workshop manual and I've noticed a few things:

The first oil and filter replacement is not called for until the 10,000km (6214mile) service.

The recommended oil is Agip (not Selenia) Racing 4T 5W-40 which is a full synthetic oil. I assume that the bike came from the factory brand new with synthetic oil. This is different than what I was advised concerning breaking in former new bikes.

I think that I will replace the oil and filter @ 600 miles anyway just to make sure that any metal particles from the engine building process are gone.

I can not find an interval for valve adjustment. Did they accidentally omit this requirement or is there really a possibility that the valves don't require normal adjustment.

They seem to have printed the wrong picture on page 54. They reprinted the warning label position diagram from page 34 instead of the proper diagram showing items 1 through 20 listed on pages 55 & 56.

:tired: After reviewing this post, it is obvious that I have too much time on my hands. It's supposed to hit 70 deg F tomorrow, so I think I better go for a ride.

SilverFoxUno
12-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I had questioned the oil change too until realizing that there is no oil in the transmission so there is much less wear and tear on the oil - I certainly hope there isn't any particles in the engine.

Tappet clearance - check and adjust at 30,000 KM (18,641 MI)

chrisrappl
12-18-2008, 08:40 PM
You're right.

30,000km intervals for tappet clearance.

Don't know how I missed that.

JodyH
12-18-2008, 09:02 PM
I plan on changing mine to Mobile 1 Racing 4T 10w-40 (full synthetic) at around 250 miles. Casting sand and metal shavings are not uncommon in new engines, it's best to get the first oil change down fairly early to limit the amount of time those particles are floating around in the engine.

chrisrappl
12-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Since the factory recommends 5w 40 do you feel comfortable using 10w 40? I was thinking of using Redline 5w 40 which is also a full synthetic that is available at the local Carquest for $8 or $9 a quart. The Agip is only available at the dealer who is more than an hour away and they get about $15.00 per L. I know that 2T is 2 cycle oil. Is 4T just a designation for 4 cycle oil or is there more to it than that?

JodyH
12-19-2008, 05:00 PM
My wifes Mana won't be ridden when the weather is below 50 degrees, so the "W" weight is irrelevant.
The 5w might flow slightly better at near freezing temperatures at initial startup than 10w will. At anything above freezing temps the difference is negligible. And once the oil is at operating temperature there is no difference.
In pure synthetics the "W" weights are more marketing than a real indicator of low temperature viscosity.
Go to Mobileoil.com and look at the product charts, the pour temperatures and low temperature viscosities of the 5w and 10w synthetics are almost identicle.
My local Checker AutoParts was out of Mobile 4T 10w-40 so I ended up going with Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel 5w-40 ($6 a qt.). The additive packages in diesel oils are a better match for motorcycles than passenger car oils IMO, they have fewer "energy conserving" additives and more detergents.
Shell Rotella T 10w-40 ($15 a gallon at Wal-Mart) is another excellent synthetic diesel oil that works in motorcycles, I used it for 5000 miles in my '05 ZX10R with great results.

JodyH
12-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Here's a chart from a Yamaha owners manual.
As you can see, unless you are riding (starting the bike actually) in freezing or near freezing cold temperatures the "W" rating doesn't really matter.
http://www.io.com/~sunruh/oiltemps.jpg

williamr
12-20-2008, 09:32 AM
The W rating really refers to to the oil's viscosity on a cold engine. A 5W oil will penetrate small galleries leading to plain bearings better than a 10W on cold start, but the difference isn't enough to matter unless ambient temperatures are below freezing at startup, and probanly not enough to matter even then.

I go along with doing a first oil change no later than about 600 miles.

Rob

Dragster pilota
01-07-2009, 11:49 AM
chrisrappel in da house:
The recommended oil is Agip (not Selenia) Racing 4T 5W-40 which is a full synthetic oil.

That's strange since the European manual calls for Agip Tec 4T 5W-40 that's a semi-synth oil (Piaggio has dropped Selenia and gone Agip as with all the brands in the Piaggio Group) that by the way is the recommendation for all Aprilia bikes unless used hard on the track then the Agip Racing full-synth oils are the recommendation in the European manuals for Mille, Tuono, Pegaso, Shiver, Dorsoduro and all 4-strokers except SXV & RXV. We have over the years used Agip Tec in all the Aprilias we service unless the customer asks for Agip Racing to be used.....

DP says: Even my personal Ducati is fed Agip Tec semi-synth and likes it....

JodyH
01-07-2009, 11:56 AM
With 10,000 Km change intervals I personally think a full synthetic is better due to its ability to maintain viscosity rating for a longer period.