PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

chrisrappl
12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
The factory windscreen #858382 is waiting for DOT approval. Does anyone know when they might be available in the States? Has anyone been able to order one from Europe at a reasonable price including shipping?

The factory lists a rear mudguard #851940. Is this a mudflap extension for the existing fender? Is it available?

I asked Dandy Industries if they had a Fenda Extenda for the Mana. They do not, but they said that they will be making one. Is there a good quality front fender extender available right now? I'd prefer not to put a homemade item on my new bike just yet.

I have a battery tender that I could connect with a male lighter adapter plug. The easiest thing would be to just plug it in to the outlet in the front trunk. With the key in the off position the light would be off. I tried this on my 2005 Piaggio X-9 and the charger acted weird. The manual says to disconnect the battery to charge it. Is there a reason to not just plug the charger into the existing power outlet?

My bike came with a "Use and Maintenance" booklet. It did not come with a warranty/maintenance record book. My other Piaggios came with a warranty booklet where the dealer fills in and stamps the services. Should I have received one with the bike? Does Piaggio send one after the purchase?

I assume that since the tool kit is shown in the owner's manual that it should have come with the bike. I have a place for it in the trunk but no kit. Has anyone else not received a tool kit with their Mana?

I would like to perform a canisterectomy after the 600 mile service. It looks pretty straightforward. I assume that I would cap the port on the throttle body and reroute the hoses so that the overflow would go down to the ground. I don't know if the valve should stay in the circuit or not. I wouldn't think so. Has anyone done this? Has anyone written up the procedure?

Thanks for any help.

chrisrappl
12-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Did I ask stupid questions?

zuman
12-06-2008, 11:33 AM
But there aren't many answers out there yet. There just aren't a whole lot of Manas on the road, and there aren't a lot of resources readily available.
AF1, the sponsor of this forum, has a section of their site that lists Mana parts and accessories, and your local mc parts and supply store can help out. For example, I was interested in the Givi rack that one of the members of this forum uses, so I took a picture of it to my local dealer who identified the parts I need.
AF1 is very responsive as well as well-connected to Aprilia, so if you email them about US parts availability their answer is likely to be pretty reliable.
There are several posts on this site about removing the canister. I agree it's ugly, but I'm going to try to find a better solution than just removing it. Every little bit of clean air helps!
Finally, I've found the Google "advanced search" feature to be indispensible. You can include exact phrases, words to include and exclude, and even specify a time-frame. (My lead grey Mana is very classy in an understated BMW-type look, but I wanted just a few little "jewels" to add some subtle highlights. I searched for Aprilia World Championship decals using Google and bought two very nice pieces to add to the bodywork at the sides of the seat near the Mana 850 badges).
Good luck and have fun!

SilverFoxUno
12-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Ahhh, yes, the canister...I've considered a couple of options, including removal; however, I think it might be the perfect place for some advertising...I'm thinking someting like coffee or beer label. I haven't done it yet...I'll post pics when I do.

chrisrappl
12-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Zuman,
Thanks for the well thought out reply. I have also been thinking about adding a decal to the lead gray scheme. I was originally thinking about adding something to the front fender. Do you have any pictures of yours?

I agree with your"green" line of thought. One reason that I removed the canister on my R1100RT was that I had read about problems caused by the carbon breaking down and affecting the fuel injection. I'd be willing to leave it, but it really isn't integrated into the design of the bike. Kind of like the labels stuck right on the finish of the "gas tank". Maybe they're important but they sure are ugly.

chrisrappl
12-06-2008, 05:20 PM
SilverFoxUno,

Maybe if it could look like a big can of Fosters it could stay. I wonder where we could get vinyl decals of a fosters can?

USAFE7RET
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM
You might try asking CKruzel, a member of this forum, about it. He has a business doing graphics and could hook you up if he has the art work handy.

Maybe take a pic of the Foster's can and email it to him with the size of the canister.

Good luck.

ritchj
12-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Why not cut the top and bottom off a Fosters and slit it up the back - couple of zip ties and you're done?

It may take several attempts, but who cares; the Fosters has to be can be dumped out into a cold glass for temporary storage on the workbench. Careful with the tin snips on the 2nd through 8th try though.