PDA

View Full Version : breaking in the RS125

newtomoto
11-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Folks,

What procedure are you employing to break in this machine? It says not to go beyond 6K RPM for the first 500Mi...given this is a track only bike that's a lot of sloooow track days before it get's there. What do we do?

frankd_nm
11-25-2008, 08:12 PM
I did a lot of heat up and cool down cycles on the engine. Many 5-10 minute rides around the neighborhood. A few times around the block to heat everything up and then let it cool for a few hours before doing it again.

I was able to get a plate, so I even rode it into work a couple of times. I kept it below 6k for the first 300mi. Then over the next 300mi I increased the max rpm by 1k every 100mi or so.

I have a little over 800mi on it now, including a trackday and a race weekend. Everything seems to have settled in pretty well. It still seems to be wearing in a bit, with performance getting a little better all the time.

I did replace the gearbox oil at about 300 miles. I'd recommend changing it early. Also did most of the recommended 600mi service checks and adjustments at 300mi.

HONDARACER
11-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I bought a brand new Honda CBR125R 4 stroke a couple years ago. It had a very simular breakin procedure as the Aprilia. The only problem was the Honda was soo gutless it was not possable to ride it under 6000RPM EVER. I soon learned it waqs not going to get a gentle breakin. I screamed the crap outta that motor since day one. Had too so I wouldnt get run over by other traffic.

Bottom line is try and get a 100 or so miles of slower riding if possable then let her rip. WHat can you do?

ThisEndUp
11-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm in Frank's camp on this one.

Heat her up (no redlining)...cool her down, going through all the gears.

After 30 miles...the rings are set. Change oil...hammer the crap out of the bike.

Don't baby it.

HarveyMushman1
12-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Has anyone used a dyno to break in their bike?

newtomoto
01-28-2009, 08:38 PM
bump...anyone use a dyno to break in the bike?

HONDARACER
01-28-2009, 11:14 PM
You need an Eddy current dyno that can simulate a load. Regular dyno have a fixed load and simply calculate horsepower by calculating the acceleration of the drum in a certain length of time.

ThisEndUp
01-29-2009, 09:23 AM
As soon as I can break my trailer free from it's icy tomb.....I'll dyno it.
I've got a bike shop right across the street from my office.

Shameless plug for my buddies:

They mainly work on Harleydoodles.
The owner and the shop head both own and work on vintage race bikes, Italian bikes and two strokes.

Spencer's Cycle and Speed Shop

http://www.spencerscycle.com/

odie_trackie
01-29-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm in the process of getting one of these bikes. I'll probably ride it around the neighbor hood a bunch. Cops don't troll my 'hood, so I think I should be good.

There is also a velodrome close by and I am fairly involved with it. I might break the RS125 by doing motorpacing.

I have heard some guys in SoCal riding their 125 on a cart track. Might have to put a big old sign on my arse that says "Break-in in process. Just pass me already".

odie_trackie
02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I found this on a minibike forum from the UK.

s this the best way to break-in a new engine ? so that you wont have to trot around a track slowly for 5 tanks ??

Step 1 - Mixture

Make sure to use a 30:1 mix ratio during the break in period.
Step 2 - Location

During your break in, it is best to ride the bike on a track.
Step 3 - First Session

Allows the pocketbike several minutes to warm up before you start this process. Once the engine has had a chance to warm up, take the bike for a ride allowing the engine to never rev more than 1/3 throttle (rpm vary in each engine). Ride not more than 10 minutes then turn the pocketbike off and allow the engine to cool.
Step 4 - Second Session

Again allow the engine a moment to warm up before you start the process. After warming, take the bike for a ride allowing the engine to never exceed more than 1/2 throttle (rpm vary in each engine). Ride no more than 10 mn then turn the pocketbike off and allow the engine to again cool.
Step 5 - Third Session

Again allow the engine a moment to warm up. After warming, take the bike for a ride allowing the engine to never exceed more than 3/4 throttle (rpm vary in each engine). Ride no more than 10 minutes then turn the pocketbike off and allow the engine again to cool.
Step 6 - Final Session

Again, give the engine a moment to warm up. On this session it is important to take the pocketbike from stop to full throttle in a smooth and consistent acceleration allowing the engine to peek at maximum rpm and full throttle.

WARNING: Do not hold RPM at full throttle for long period of time until bike has been fully broken in.

Once you have peeked the engine at full throttle, let off the throttle and allow the bike to slow back down to stop. Repeat this process several times and ride no more than 10 minutes then again turn the pocketbike off and allow the engine to cool.

It is important that when you go through these sessions, the bike must ride faster and faster each session. This will help prevent the engine from having performance problems and help prolong the life duration and reliability.

ThisEndUp
02-05-2009, 02:24 PM
There is also a velodrome close by and I am fairly involved with it. I might break the RS125 by doing motorpacing.

Hmmmm......You wouldn't be in Trexlertown, Pa. ? Would ya?

odie_trackie
02-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Nope. I'm in San Diego. Only place where you can hit three velodromes within 150miles.

Hmmmm......You wouldn't be in Trexlertown, Pa. ? Would ya?