PDA

View Full Version : Look at the RS

ILAMtitan
11-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Since I wrecked my Shiver recently I've been looking for a replacement, and the RS125 has been in my sights. My Shiver was very livable, could take me around town or on long trips and still go to track days, which is one of the reasons I got it. While the RS lives on the track, I keep hearing it would make a great street bike as well.

My plan is to get one and have it made road legal, since I commute to work every day on my bike. I just had a few questions about it though.

How would it be riding on a 5 to 10 minute commute?
I know it's fun on the track, but could it stand up to being ridden on a trip, in excess of an hour at a time?

Edit: Meant to say "looking at the RS"

the brit
11-10-2008, 06:34 PM
How would it be riding on a 5 to 10 minute commute?
I know it's fun on the track, but could it stand up to being ridden on a trip, in excess of an hour at a time?

Worst thing about a 5 - 10 minute commute is waiting 5 minutes for the bike to warm up enough to ride it. I would feel sorry for my neighbours when I would warm my RS50 up at 7.30am before heading off to work.

I commuted 20 miles each way on my RS50 with no complaints except for the cost of fuel/oil, which was worth it if I took the back roads.

I have not ridden my RS125 on any long journeys yet (waiting parts to complete the road legal issues), but I rode my RS50 80 miles to the Jersey Shore, then south through Delaware and Maryland before heading north home again, for a total daily ride of 300odd miles, including a stretch on I-95 with a litre bike for company. If I could do that on the 50cc (with a big bore kit), the 125cc should have no issue!

HONDARACER
11-10-2008, 07:58 PM
I start my bike and let it ilde for about 1 minute before moving off. I ride it real easy and dont open the throttle more than 1/3 and dont rev it over 4000RPM. I took mine on a 3 hour ride one day while I was breaking it in. I wouldnt be afraid of riding it all day long, as long as you dont run the heck out of it for hours on end it wont be a problem.

One thing you should know is the little 125 doesnt have much torque, so you need to rev the motor a lot more than a 4 stroke motor.

I have a 2005 Aprilia SR50 Ditech scooter. I dont warm that motor up at all and I get on it and twist the throttle wide open and ride it like that every day. Its got 4000kms on it now and runs awesome. I think the Agip 2T oil has a lot to do with the engine living under stress too.