PDA

View Full Version : Track Day Nov 2nd

Noassmblyrqired
11-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I was lucky enough to catch the last NESBA track day of the year on Thunderbolt at NJMP on my new RS125. I really had a lot of fun!!!

Initially, there was a really big learning curve on the bike. Having rolled a wheel on the track with out ever riding the bike before was a little intimidating also! My other bike is a Daytona 675, which really covers up your mistakes...especially coming out of the corners in the wrong gear! It's amazing the difference 80Hp or 90Hp makes.

You really needed to learn the track before you could even pick the gears you needed to be in. Then you start going faster and you need a whole new set of gears again!!! We didn't have any lap times to go by, so all I know is top speed on the straights. In the first session I was topping out on the straight at an indicated (accuracy unconfirmed) 138Km/h (92ish?) by the end I had squeaked it up to 163Km/h (102ish). I think I could have gotten into the straight a little faster with some more courage but not sure the RS125 could build up much more steam than 105 in it's stock configuration.

In the corners, the bike was truly awesome! So light, and precise!!! It was a little chilly and the asphalt was cold (lots of red flags from people offing there bikes!!!) so I was still a little cautious. The stock Dunlops held up pretty well I was able to get them to marble up when the ambient temp was 60, but as it dropped into the 50's it was a little harder even though I was going faster and leaning the bike over more.

Eurosports in Coopersburg, PA thinks there's another 10 to 15HP available with mods. That with some suspension tweeks (Eurosports is working directly with Penske on a shock, it should be availible through them by today) and a set of race tires it should be a hoot to ride!!!

Here's a link to the proof pics from Pics of You who does track photos:

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ThumbPage.aspx?e=4255640&g=03HV00HY1J

I'm Bike 125...The big guy on the little bike!!!

-Tony

HONDARACER
11-04-2008, 09:08 AM
In the corners, the bike was truly awesome! So light, and precise!!!

My sentiment exactly. My whole body is screaming at me to slow down as I perpare to enter a turn, but the reward is an almost religous experience when the bike straightens the road out. Corners, what corners?

the brit
11-04-2008, 09:57 AM
You should have called me! I would have come along too!

ThisEndUp
11-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Looks like next season we'll have a Tri State RS125 Challenge Cup.
Four of us thus far , eh? :burnout:

Noassmblyrqired
11-04-2008, 01:59 PM
That would be a lot of fun actually racing against the same bike. Some of the folks at Eurosports were talking about bringing theirs out too...

The closest comparison I had on track was a Ninja 250 which I was able to pull on in the straights (no passing in the corners in B class). The ninja's tires didn't look like they were heating up too much either. On similar tires it probably would have been a little closer.

I also wasn't riding like a champion this weekend....

kneedragginchic
11-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Everyone keep their bike stock so we can get a big race together. :) How about everyone come out here to CA to run at Streets of Willow. I would love a Aprilia 125 Cup race. :)

kneedragginchic
11-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Oh and Congrats on your first track day on the bike! I will be going on the track with it in a few weeks. Can't wait.

Noassmblyrqired
11-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks Kneedragginchic!!! The would be a great idea...but I can't make any promises about remaining stock, I got the mod-bug!!!

ThisEndUp
11-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks Kneedragginchic!!! The would be a great idea...but I can't make any promises about remaining stock, I got the mod-bug!!!

Here we go............
145cc kit?

Maybe I can shoe horn that worked 350 RD engine in to this thing. :happy:

Stock? What is this word that she speaks of ? Stock? Hmmm.......

Micah / AF1 Racing
11-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Dude I have no idea what stock is. Stock based for sure, but dead stock, never!

kneedragginchic
11-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Okay, maybe not stock then. I see we have a Mod. addiction here. I can't afford to change my bike after buying it in the first place. LOL. Maybe my weight will help offset the changes you make to your bikes? (I think that's a no, but I can always wish.)

ThisEndUp
11-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Okay, maybe not stock then. I see we have a Mod. addiction here. I can't afford to change my bike after buying it in the first place. LOL. Maybe my weight will help offset the changes you make to your bikes? (I think that's a no, but I can always wish.)

what was that figure.......for every seven pounds of weight lost = 1 hp gained?

Is that right?

(Note to self:.......cut back on Guinness.....increase scotch intake. There, I'll be down to fighting weight in no time). :cheers:

Micah / AF1 Racing
11-05-2008, 10:32 AM
So ironic what you just posted. I have been trimming back my beer intake as well for this very reason. I have had none this week after a couple of weeks of cutting back. Not substituting other alcohols just yet either, still trying to remember how to sleep like a child though. Shopping for a new bicycle, trying to eat better. God-damned little lightweight bikes are making me feel old and fat.

ThisEndUp
11-05-2008, 11:16 AM
So ironic what you just posted. I have been trimming back my beer intake as well for this very reason. I have had none this week after a couple of weeks of cutting back. Not substituting other alcohols just yet either, still trying to remember how to sleep like a child though. Shopping for a new bicycle, trying to eat better. God-damned little lightweight bikes are making me feel old and fat.

:funnypost

Yeah, you're not alone.

Those chili dogs yesterday sorta blew my diet though. Damn good, tasting at least.

I've 10 lbs. to lose. (all right......15 lbs.)

Now, if I was only a few inches shorter.:rolleyes:

When I was at Indy for the Moto GP, I saw Lorenzo and Hopkins over at their trailers. Holy crap are they tiny. I couldn't stop laughing at those little leprechauns. Well, I'm sure if they saw me riding the 125 they'd be laughing at that middle aged fat ass on a teenager's bike. Oh, well.....