PDA

View Full Version : KPH vs. MPH

frankd_nm
11-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Is anybody else unable to get their instrument cluster to change to MPH vs. KPH?

I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't get it to change to MPH. The book says that with the bat. display on if you push and hold the mode button for 10 seconds it should change. No luck with mine.

Any suggestions?

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-03-2008, 08:34 PM
all ours read MPH....disconnect the battery, hold the MODE button, and reconnect the battery, keep holding MODE button and it should change. Key on the whole time

some dealers????? I cant believe they let it go like that.

frankd_nm
11-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info. It's been driving me nuts.

Can't say I blame the dealer. They barely had time to get the bike out of the crate before I picked it up. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning. :o

the brit
11-04-2008, 02:57 PM
all ours read MPH....disconnect the battery, hold the MODE button, and reconnect the battery, keep holding MODE button and it should change. Key on the whole time

some dealers????? I cant believe they let it go like that.

Nice, good information. The manual's explanation appears to be incorrect then..

ThisEndUp
11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Tried this procedure last night. No luck.

Has it worked for anyone else? Besides Ed, I mean.

Allen Noland
11-05-2008, 12:16 PM
You will need to leave the positive battery lead off for a minute or so, then try it. If it doesn't work, you need to leave it off longer before trying again

ThisEndUp
11-05-2008, 12:24 PM
You will need to leave the positive battery lead off for a minute or so, then try it. If it doesn't work, you need to leave it off longer before trying again

:cheers:

frankd_nm
11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes, disconnect both terminals at the battery for a minute. Reconnect the positive side. Turn the ignition switch on. Press and hold the mode button while you connect the negative side. Remember to hold the mode button for at least 10 seconds.

thePhounder
11-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Hold A for 5 seconds, then press B, then hold A for another 5 seconds

I have a link to the site to download all of the aprilia manuals, I will see if I can find it and post it here also

Allen Noland
11-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Hold A for 5 seconds, then press B, then hold A for another 5 seconds

I have a link to the site to download all of the aprilia manuals, I will see if I can find it and post it here also

there is no A or B on the 2009 RS125, just a mode button on the left switch housing.

Steve / AF1 Racing
06-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Something I just discovered on a bike I'm preparing.

To ensure constant connectivity when converting to MPH it may be necessary to disconnect the two wires from the back of the "mode" button and hold them together while re-attaching the battery.

odie_trackie
06-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I hope this is relevant, but I can't get the lap timer to work. I can get it into lap timer mode, but just goes back to other modes when I hit the "mode" button.

Anyone figure this out yet?

BTW, since the existing mode button works like crap, I am using the horn button as my mode button. Just disconnected the "mode" button and plugged in the horn button. Works much better now.
Is the flash to pass button supposed to trigger the lap timer?

jokerio
06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Is the flash to pass button supposed to trigger the lap timer?

Yes it is.

frankd_nm
06-09-2009, 10:22 PM
odie, to get the lap timer working you'll want to toggle to that mode using the mode button. When you get to the timer function it will display something like --:--:--. When that is displayed you push and hold the mode button for 5 sec. The display should change to 00:00:00 with -- Lap above it. Then, with the bike in motion you push the mode button to start the timer. And push it again for the next lap, etc.

Took me a while to figure out that the bike had to be in motion. Maybe just in gear or something, but I know it won't work when I'm stopped and in neutral.

odie_trackie
06-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Thanks, guys.
I'll give this a try.

RsBurgess09
06-18-2009, 09:50 AM
mine is MPH it says in manual hold mode button for 10secs and it will change to KMH but it don't. ahhwell i prefer MPH anyway

jjt17
06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks, guys.
I'll give this a try.

Pickup a real laptimer instead. Much more accurate and you dont have to concern yourself with pressing any extra buttons.

I love my Ultra XT

zapped
12-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Tried this procedure last night. No luck.

Has it worked for anyone else? Besides Ed, I mean.

yes,it has..
couple things- the ecu does need to discharge with the battery disconnected before this will work, and having the key 'on' as Ed says, before disconnection the (neg) cable will do that. so there's no need to wait, (and of course disconnecting BOTH cables doesn't do anything) just removing the neg cable will do all....

on my 2009 usa spec bike when it's done that way:
1.key on
2.disconnect neg.
3 hold mode switch while
4.reconnecting neg.(just hold wire in place)

the display will activate but not light up,while displaying '001' or something while the tach clicks away for ten second or so, then the display lights and alternates between mph and kmh,

5.release 'mode' button while the unit you want is displayed....
6.key off
7.reconnect neg.terminal /bolt

fynchy
03-31-2011, 11:12 AM
just got the RS125 Spanish No.1 and its took me an hour to get my speedo to MPH.

Thanks for that but now my EFI has come up though with the warning light. Just not my day at all lol.

b42day
04-14-2015, 12:28 PM
1.key on
2.disconnect neg.
3 hold mode switch while

the display will activate but not light up,while displaying '001' or something while the tach clicks away for ten second or so, then the display lights and alternates between mph and kmh,

6.key off

Above procedure worked like a charm. I still find it silly to have to do this when this should be a matter of doing it likw the owner's manual says. Why that doesn't work puzzles me...

Thanks for posting the procedure.

Now on to find the "street" harness.

b42day
04-14-2015, 08:58 PM
1.key on
2.disconnect neg.
3 hold mode switch while

6.key off

Above procedure worked like a charm. I still find it silly to have to do this when this should be a matter of doing it likw the owner's manual says. Why that doesn't work puzzles me...

Thanks for posting the procedure.

Now on to find the "street" harness.