PDA

View Full Version : dead electrics

Faisal
10-30-2008, 06:37 AM
sorry if this seems long-winded, just want to explain exactly what happened...

so, 2 days ago I cleaned my bike thoroughly, and was prehaps too vigerous with the jet-wash...

After cleaning the bike, I let the engine warm up to help evaporate any water, and it seemed to go fine.
Put the bike back in the garage till the next day...

Then yesterday I start the bike...no problems...and then as I move out of my garage and onto my driveway, which is an upward slope, all the electrics went dead at once...engine was still running though, so i turned off the ignition to see if everything would come back on...no luck...

i figured I got some water into some electrical circuit, and it's shorting out whenever the bike is at an angle...

So i tried drying it by putting some sheets over the bike with a couple of heaters near by- seemed to be pretty hot under there...left it like that for 3-4 hours, although it is a bit like pissing in the wind as the garage must've been 30 degrees Fahrenheit at the time...

Checked the fuses, and the 15amp fuse was blown...so i replaced it and started the bike again...
got onto my driveway and the same thing happened...

My 15amp fuse keeps blowing...I've tried drying the bike with a heater for 3-4 hours (in a cold room nonetheless) and then left it overnight...
Still having the same shorting out problem...

Only other idea I have is to wheel the bike into my house and put it with some heaters in a warmer room than my garage...

Any other suggestions?

Maybe dry whatever circuit is wet by hand? thing is I would have no idea where to start cos I blasted a fan-heater directly under the fuel tank for an hour and I would've thought that would dry out any wires in that region of the bike...also blasted the ignition barrel with the fan heater for nearly an hour....

My bike is stuck! please help

thanks in advance

HONDARACER
10-30-2008, 08:05 AM
I doubt its the water thats causing the short to ground, it may be acting as a conductor so the bare wire can ground out. You need to look at a wiring diagram of your bike and see exactly what runs off that 15 amp fuse and go from there. Say the fuse runs the headlights, just inspect that circut very carefully.

Untill you know what exactly the 15 amp fuse is for, your guessing at the location of the problem.

Faisal
10-30-2008, 11:04 AM
I doubt its the water thats causing the short to ground, it may be acting as a conductor so the bare wire can ground out. You need to look at a wiring diagram of your bike and see exactly what runs off that 15 amp fuse and go from there. Say the fuse runs the headlights, just inspect that circut very carefully.

Untill you know what exactly the 15 amp fuse is for, your guessing at the location of the problem.

the reason i think it could still be water in a circuit that's causing problems is because the bike will start and run fine as long as it doesn't move too much...
Put the bike on a gradient or make the suspension work and then it will short out.
As long as its crawling along a flat surface everything is fine.

Which makes me think that when the bike is at an angle the water drips back onto whatever circuit is shorting out...

then again, i am normally clueless about this stuff :rolleyes:

gonna look for a wiring diagram and see if i can do more...

random0082
10-30-2008, 03:25 PM
does the US model have a sidestand cutout switch? could it be that acting up?

Faisal
10-30-2008, 03:28 PM
does the US model have a sidestand cutout switch? could it be that acting up?

it's a UK model :)

and i doubt its the side stand...i got no electrics at all, nada, not just no starter...
Electrics keep shorting out and blowing the 15amp fuse...

i think (but i may be misreading the diagram) the sidestand is connected to the 20amp fuse...

Socket
10-30-2008, 05:35 PM
it's a UK model :)

and i doubt its the side stand...i got no electrics at all, nada, not just no starter...
Electrics keep shorting out and blowing the 15amp fuse...

i think (but i may be misreading the diagram) the sidestand is connected to the 20amp fuse...

Sounds like a grounded wire.

Faisal
10-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Sounds like a grounded wire.

if you don't mind, how would one go about fixing that?

i've gone over the wiring diagram and i'm not 100% i'm reading it right, cos there are some circuits i can't run back to 1 of the fuses...

however i've now know what a few of things that the 15amp fuse is connected to are, so i can check those wires...

thing is what should i be looking out for and what's the usual way to go about sorting it out?