PDA

View Full Version : Left Side Switch Wiring

frankd_nm
10-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Here's the wiring info for the switches on the left handlebar. The wiring comes out to a nine (9) pin wiring connector.

Yellow/Black = Hot lead to the headlight switch
White = Switched hot to high beam
Black (Black/Silver spots) = Switched hot to low beam
Green/Black = Hot lead to passing light switch

Gray = Hot lead to horn switch
Blue = Switched hot to horn

Blue/Black = Hot lead to blinker stitch
Light Blue = Switched hot to left blinker
Red = Switched hot to right blinker

Hot leads can either be wired into the green wire in the wiring harness or you can run a separate fused lead. Note that you will need four (4) hot leads to connect up all the left switch controls.

I hope this helps.

HONDARACER
10-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I just want to know how to make the LED blinkers in the instrument cluster work.

frankd_nm
10-29-2008, 10:32 PM
I haven't done this yet myself, but I think I have it worked out.

Hot lead to your flasher
Then hot out of the flasher goes to the Blue/Black wire on your left switch harness
From the switch harness the Light Blue wire goes to the left blinker
From the switch harness the Red wire goes to the right blinker

Now for the indicator light. I have not opened that part of the harness or instrument cluster yet, so I'm not positive about these next steps, but looking at the wiring diagram it should work.

There should be a Light Blue wire and a Red wire going to the indicator bulb.
Make a connection from the Light Blue wire going to the left blinker and the Light Blue wire going to the indicator bulb.
Do the same for the Red wire. Make a connection from the Red wire going to the right blinker to the red wire going to the indicator bulb.

That should allow the bulb to go to ground and light up when either blinker is working. Like I said I haven't done this yet, but this would be how I would do it.

Socket
10-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the info frank! I've started my wiring setup, and have the headlights working, and got to the tail light and figure its time to take a break.

Other than hard-soldiering right to the pins, I haven't a way to connect wire to them. I saw you said you build your own connector setup, I'll be stoping by the local radio shack and see if they have some pins that will individually connect to the tail light.

HONDARACER
10-30-2008, 08:00 AM
I just cut that connector off and used butt connectors to join to the harness. Trying to use the original connector without a proper mate will surely lead to problems.

You can go to a auto parts store and buy a weatherpack sealed insulated connector to replace the original, but unless you buy a proper crimp tool you will still end up using butt connectors.

You could also solder and heatshrink the wires, but space is very limited in the bike and results probably wont be that great.

Socket
10-30-2008, 08:36 AM
I just cut that connector off and used butt connectors to join to the harness. Trying to use the original connector without a proper mate will surely lead to problems.

You can go to a auto parts store and buy a weatherpack sealed insulated connector to replace the original, but unless you buy a proper crimp tool you will still end up using butt connectors.

You could also solder and heatshrink the wires, but space is very limited in the bike and results probably wont be that great.

Do you have a chance to take a pic of your tail light bulb setup? I'm trying to picture it... thanks!

frankd_nm
10-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Looking over the diagram I see I made a small mistake on the horn wiring.

The recommended way to hook it up is to run a hot lead directly to the horn.
Then connect the Gray wire from the left switch to the horn.
Then Blue wire from left switch goes to ground.

It will work both ways, but this way the switch is on the ground side of the circuit. Much better.

HONDARACER
10-30-2008, 08:36 PM
I bought a complete bulb assembly from an auto parts store. It came with 3 wires and I had to modify the body to get the lugs to fit into the light housing. It wasnt perfect, but I gave up on trying to get the stock bulb connector.

Allen Noland
11-08-2008, 04:00 PM
The easiest (and closest to the stock Euro 3 harness) is:
run power from one of the dark green (switched+) wires in the main harness to the solid blue wire on the left switch connector (although the wiring diagram shows it as green/red), then connect the grey wire to one side of the horn. Connect the other side of the horn to ground (one of the blue wires in the main harness. In the Euro3 harness there is also a diode in the system that runs from the grey wire to the ground wire.

Socket
03-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Can someone post a pic of where exactly the left side switch wires are tucked away to?

Also, frank, can you pm me your new phone #? I tried to call ya today and it said out of service!

Socket
03-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Can someone post a pic of where exactly the left side switch wires are tucked away to?

Also, frank, can you pm me your new phone #? I tried to call ya today and it said out of service!