PDA

View Full Version : Electric Connections

frankd_nm
10-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Hey Folks, I'm a proud new owner of one of these little beauties. I'm pretty handy with the electrical system stuff...at least the easier parts of it...so, I'll be posting my tips here.

So far I've been able to hook up the headlights, tail and brake lights, but I haven't done the blinkers yet. I'm working off an older wiring diagram and it seems a couple of the colors have changed, but all the connections seem to be the same.

I haven't been writing notes as I worked, but after my next track weekend I'll open her back up and write it all down.

Here are a couple quick tips that I remember off the top of my head.

Dark Blue wire(s) = Ground
Green = Switched Hot

Under your tank you can see where they have taped up the wiring harness. A black cloth style tape. If you feel around on the harness in that area you can physically feel a bulge in the harness and then it gets narrow again (On mine it was in front of where the tape was). This is one of the places where they cut wires that would hook up to your left handlebar switch. I'll post what wires from the harness hook up to what wires on the switch after I get it all written down.

Under the seat, near the filler for the oil tank there are two unused wiring connectors. One is a three (3) wire connector. This is the wiring connector for the tail/brake light. The green wire is the hot wire to the tail light. The blue wire is the ground. The orange/black wire is for the brake light. I can't remember what pin number they go to on the bulb without looking, so I'll add that info later.

Well, I hope that gets some folks started off right. Like I said, I'll open her back up next week and write down more details, so I can pass them along.

Have fun out there!

HONDARACER
10-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I need to know how to get the blinker indicator working on the dashboard.

the brit
10-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Frank - Great find! I went through the ends of the harness, but failed to find any cut wires hidden under tape, so that's good news!

I have a wiring diagram for a '06 Euro bike, but the colours are very different from ours, as you've found. I wonder if we can get anyone in the know to supply a '09 or a USA specific diagram..?

Please continue to post what you find! My european harness got shipped here yesterday, so i've got all that fun ahead of me next weekend, postal service permitting.

Socket
10-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey Folks, I'm a proud new owner of one of these little beauties. I'm pretty handy with the electrical system stuff...at least the easier parts of it...so, I'll be posting my tips here.

So far I've been able to hook up the headlights, tail and brake lights, but I haven't done the blinkers yet. I'm working off an older wiring diagram and it seems a couple of the colors have changed, but all the connections seem to be the same.

I haven't been writing notes as I worked, but after my next track weekend I'll open her back up and write it all down.

Here are a couple quick tips that I remember off the top of my head.

Dark Blue wire(s) = Ground
Green = Switched Hot

Under your tank you can see where they have taped up the wiring harness. A black cloth style tape. If you feel around on the harness in that area you can physically feel a bulge in the harness and then it gets narrow again (On mine it was in front of where the tape was). This is one of the places where they cut wires that would hook up to your left handlebar switch. I'll post what wires from the harness hook up to what wires on the switch after I get it all written down.

Under the seat, near the filler for the oil tank there are two unused wiring connectors. One is a three (3) wire connector. This is the wiring connector for the tail/brake light. The green wire is the hot wire to the tail light. The blue wire is the ground. The orange/black wire is for the brake light. I can't remember what pin number they go to on the bulb without looking, so I'll add that info later.

Well, I hope that gets some folks started off right. Like I said, I'll open her back up next week and write down more details, so I can pass them along.

Have fun out there!

Great info frank..I picked up a relay and a fuse block for my setup today, and will have the bike tomorrow.

Where did you get the connectors to hook into the head light bulbs? does the tail light have wires coming off of it, or is there a connector that will plug into it?

frankd_nm
10-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey Socket,

The tail/brake light does not have the wiring pigtail supplied. The bulb holder has three male pins to connect to. I didn't find any wiring connector that I could fit, so I did a bit of a sloppy job. I made my own pigtail harness with three wires, then used standard crimp on electrical connectors. I think the standard .250 female flat blade fit (and by fit I mean it connects and doesn't fall off), but I might have had to use the next size smaller. Not the best solution, but it got me on the road.

For the headlight connectors I picked up some that fit the 9006 style, BUT they didn't fit. I modified one of them and after a lot of work got it to fit. I checked at the local NAPA and I can get the correct one. I think they wanted about $20 each! I think I'll see about getting some at the salvage yard. Note that the right side headlight is your low beam and the left side is the high beam. Both use the same bulb, but focus the light different.

Like the brit I'm working off the wiring diagram for on '06 euro bike. Yes, some color changes that caused a headache, but it seems the components are much the same and connect up the same way...color changes being the only real difference.

So far, I'm just using the standard crimp-on connectors for all my hookups. Once I have everything hooked up and working I'll order some proper multi-pin connectors and replace the cheap crimp-on's.

This week I'm busy working on safety wiring bolts and prepping for trackday this Saturday. After that I'll dive into the blinkers and start writing down all the connections I make (have made).

Steve / AF1 Racing
10-30-2008, 07:07 PM
I have a wiring diagram for a '06 Euro bike, but the colours are very different from ours, as you've found. I wonder if we can get anyone in the know to supply a '09 or a USA specific diagram..?

Euro 3 wiring diagram attached at link below:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st2/RS%20125%20MY%20'07%20E3%20wiring%20diagram.pdf

Complete service manual available for purchase here:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=6587

Good luck to everybody working out the custom wiring. We should have a complete sellable "enduro" kit using all factory parts by the first of the year, but hat's off to you guys for working it out the hard way.

frankd_nm
10-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Thank you Steve. That's a big help. Not a lot of changes from the '06 model, but enough to make a difference. I wish I'd had it when looking for the 3 wire lead to the side stand switch, when I should have been looking for the 2 wire lead.

By the way...to disable the stand switch all you have to do is unplug it and plug in the loop-back connector that Aprilia was nice enough to supply.

It's that plug on the right side that looks like it has two black wires going to it. You know, the one we were hoping was the simple connection for the rear brake light.

Allen Noland
11-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Those two connectors are diagnostic connector for the ECU and dash display. You are correct on being able to pick up constant power on the green(+) and dark blue (-) but the orange/black goes to the instrument panel only. In order to get the brake light to work, you will need to run power from the green (+) through a brake light switch and then to the bulb.

the brit
11-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Hey Socket,

The tail/brake light does not have the wiring pigtail supplied. The bulb holder has three male pins to connect to. I didn't find any wiring connector that I could fit, so I did a bit of a sloppy job.

I posted this in a different thread, but the connector is identical to one used on the engine of a mid-'90s chevrolet, for an engine connector. I do not have a part number, sorry. I do have some spares though if anyone needs them and can't get to a junkyard etc.

http://xjamiex.com/photos/apriliars125/DSC01258_tn.jpg

MilesWantsA50
11-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Euro 3 wiring diagram attached at link below:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st2/RS%20125%20MY%20'07%20E3%20wiring%20diagram.pdf

Complete service manual available for purchase here:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=6587

Good luck to everybody working out the custom wiring. We should have a complete sellable "enduro" kit using all factory parts by the first of the year, but hat's off to you guys for working it out the hard way.

Steve, can you give a guesstimate on pricing? A range is fine too....wont hold you to any pricing. Just need to know if its $100, $1000, etc. Helps me determine if im going to try and do this the hard way or the easy way.

Will it include mirrors too?

Thanks

Steve / AF1 Racing
11-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Steve, can you give a guesstimate on pricing? A range is fine too....wont hold you to any pricing. Just need to know if its $100, $1000, etc. Helps me determine if im going to try and do this the hard way or the easy way.

Will it include mirrors too?

Thanks

Just about impossible to say what the price will be, it's going to depend on a couple of as yet undefined variables. There is no way it will cost less than $300.

The kit will be true "plug and play" no guessing, no lead chasing, it'll just work.

The kit will be all inclusive (yes, mirrors too) and done right using all OEM Aprilia parts.