PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you're just lucky

zuman
10-25-2008, 11:35 AM
It was about 38 degrees F this morning, and as I backed my one-week old Mana out of my garage I decided I'd leave it idling while I closed the door. I lowered the sidestand and started to walk back into the house when I glanced back and saw the bike gracefully lie down on its left side.
I'd forgotten to set the parking brake, and the gentle slope away from the garage door was just enough to cause it to roll off the stand.
Fortunately, it settled in the mulched area of a nearby flower bed, and I can find no - ZERO - marks of any kind on the bike! Considering it was completely laid down on its left side, it's hard to believe. All I had to do was re-set the left mirror.
The first thing I learned is the importance of setting the parking brake. The second is that the Mana is easier to pick up than I expected. The third thing is that even idiots get lucky sometimes!

rwp42
10-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Congrats on your good fortune! You were indeed lucky.

RwP

thunderclap
10-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. My wife did the exact same thing on her second time ever on the bike. We had been riding the canyons and stopped at this mountain town cafe (not to show off our bikes :bond: :burnout:)
She parked it on the road just a bit downhill, turned her back to walk away, the bike falls over and knocks her down :confused:
No harm done in the end..just a funny story. The parking brake is the way to go for sure !

alfamoi
10-26-2008, 05:27 PM
:p:
Ouf! Happy for you

williamr
10-27-2008, 05:09 AM
I've had this happen too many times with too many different bikes. If I'm using a sidestand I always make sure that the bike is pointing up hill.

Think very hard about frame sliders.

Rob