PDA

View Full Version : lowering kit mana 850

shandog1717
10-03-2008, 03:58 PM
hello, does anyone know if there is a lowering kit for the mana 850? thanks
shannon

shandog1717
06-03-2009, 04:33 AM
hi everybody, can i change the oil in my 2009 aprilia mana myself or do i have to bring it to a dealer. i was told i have to bring it to a dealer, because it needs to be hooked up to a computer, is that true? thanks
shannon

pete roper
06-03-2009, 04:51 AM
(Gurgle!) To change the oil?? Must be pretty hi-tech oil to need a computer to make it work!

If you want the bike correctly SERVICED there are some things that require it to be hooked up to a diagnostic tool.

Changing the oil? see the 'Would you ride it?' thread.

Pete

shadyman
06-03-2009, 07:20 AM
AF-1 sells a lowering shock for the rear.

kboe
06-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes they do! And it's a gorgeous piece. We just got ours and put it o the Mana. It takes a while, but they will valve it to the rider's weight, and we got a total lowering of about 1.25 inches. Enough to get my wife to almost "flat foot", and boost her confidence tremendously.

I highly recommend it if you are looking to loose and inch or so.

-ky

shandog1717
06-30-2009, 06:49 PM
thanks everybody:)

Schumi1970
07-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi guys, i'm from italy and i'm very interested in buying the lowering shock for the mana! But, before spending 700 + 90 usd for shipment to italy, i would like to see how the mana looks like with this lowering shock for the rear, considering that the front remains at the same height.

Could anyone kindly post some pics of the mana with the lowering shock???

Thanks everybody and congratulations for the great forum!!!

kboe
07-06-2009, 12:30 AM
I can. I may be one of the only ones with the lowering shock installed. Give me a few days though. I can only get good pics when the wife isn't riding it, and believe me, that's not very often.

Our bike has the lowered rear and stock height front. It's not very noticeable. Just a less bit "ass-up".

cheers,

-ky

Schumi1970
07-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Kboe, thanks a lot! take your time for the pics! i'm very curious to see your mana with the lowering shock installed!

kboe
07-06-2009, 05:38 PM
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8350/img1088l.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4157/img1089.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1039/img1093d.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions. One word of caution. Always use the parking brake when setting the bike on the side stand after installing the lowering shock. With the bike lower, it doesn't lean to the side as much (more upright on the side stand), and will have more of a tendency to roll forward off the stand by itself resulting in a thunderous crash. Ask me how I know...

peace,

-ky

Schumi1970
07-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Kboe, thanks a lot for the pics and for your warning!!! Actually the difference is not very noticeable. A last question: did you install the lowering shock by yourself? Is it difficult? Did anyone help you?

Thank you again and congratulations for your mana, red as mine!!!

kboe
07-07-2009, 05:06 PM
No, I had my local shop do it for me. Shouldn't be to difficult, though. I've done numerous coil-over replacements on race cars. Same basic thing. One bolt at the top, one bolt at the bottom. You would just need a good, solid stand to hold the rear of the bike up in the air from the motor or frame somewhere. The swing arm would need to free to travel throughout it's range of motion to get all the holes re-aligned to install the new shock. Our shock was set with the proper valving and pre-load from the factory to my wife's weight (primary rider). It is obviously still adjustable for fine tuning, but she has yet to experience any bottoming or anything, even over large speed bumps taken at a high rate of speed. She says it rides just like stock (or better).

-ky

dunesnstars
07-30-2009, 09:11 PM
kboe, out of curiosity, how tall is your wife? I'm thinking about this bike for myself but I'm kinda on the short side ... barely 5'4".

Also, when you were thinking about lowering kits, did you ever run into this one?: http://www.whaccessories.com/LoweringKits.htm

If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Sheila

kboe
07-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi Sheila!

My wife is about 5'5"+. With this setup she is able to flat foot the bike. However, when she rides, she wears Daytona Ladystar boots which also add 1" of height. Her biggest problem before the lowering shock was installed was not so much the flat footing, but the fact that she was also uncomfortable backing the bike up while sitting on it. This is now solved as well with the new shock (and boots).

Another option to consider is to have the seat shaved down a bit. And maybe not so much on the height, but on the width of the seat so that your legs don't have to be so splayed out when sitting on the bike.

I did briefly look at the lowering links that you posted, but I am unfamiliar on how they work, and what any down sides would be, so therefore I went with the whole new shock. I don't like to install anything on the bike without having a full understanding of both the pluses and minuses of the part. Shocks and springs I know. Lowering links I don't.

I hope that helps! Do you have your Mana yet? Or are you just considering a purchase? If you're on the fence: buy it, lower it, ride it, love it!!

-ky

dunesnstars
07-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks Ky for the info. No, I have not bought the Mana. Because of the height issue, I want to make sure I buy a bike that will/can be lowered. With the spring, I think it'll still be iffy. Aprilia should have known that target market will ultimately be females before rolling out this product!! :WTF:

My husband and I have a kawasaki C14 and he has lowered that by fabricating a new suspension link (we own a metal fab shop) using high grade stainless. I wonder if we will be able to go that route as well? And the spring? And shaving the seat or sending it out? Wow! Sounds like a lot of effort! Mike, my husband also mentioned that the suspension for the C14 and the mana is different so fabricating a link may be out of the question. But if that webstore is selling links, then it may not be so different. Hmmmm.... thoughts to ponder.

I need to call that webstore and pick their brain some more. Stay tuned...

bikerx
08-01-2009, 01:01 AM
kboe, did the lowering shock affect the mana's handling? also, was it just different valving or were there lesser coils/shorter shock length vs. the oem shock? thanks!

jpsplus
08-02-2009, 05:11 AM
Hi guys, i'm from italy and i'm very interested in buying the lowering shock for the mana! But, before spending 700 + 90 usd for shipment to italy, i would like to see how the mana looks like with this lowering shock for the rear, considering that the front remains at the same height.

Could anyone kindly post some pics of the mana with the lowering shock???

Thanks everybody and congratulations for the great forum!!!

Schumi1970, i am from Greece and here hyperpro has two kits with lower springs for both front & rear suspension for mana850
please check in your local hyperpro dealer. there is a kit with 25mm lowering height & one with 40mm

kboe
08-03-2009, 06:14 PM
kboe, did the lowering shock affect the mana's handling? also, was it just different valving or were there lesser coils/shorter shock length vs. the oem shock? thanks!

As installed, the Hyperpro shock is shorter than the stock shock. This may be because the Hyperpro has a threaded spring perch, where the stock shock has only a few "preset" adjustment detents for preload. Infinite preload or ride height could be dialed in (or out) by simply spinning the threaded perch up or down. As ours sits right now, the spring perch is at exactly the same place as the stock one was on the stock shock. That would lead me to believe that the new shock is slightly shorter (as it should be, to keep the piston inside the shock working in the "center" of the tube and lessen the chance for bottoming on either full compression or rebound). I would assume that the valving was adjusted for my wife's size. That info was requested from her when we put the order in for the shock so that it could come from the factory pre-set.

The springs appear to be the same new to old. Coils are the same, length is the same, coil spacing is the same. However, it is possible that the material is different, possibly resulting in a different spring rate. I don't know if it is, I'm just saying it's possible.

I'm sure the handling is affected. We didn't mess with the forks. Therefore the overall rake of the bike is different. Is it a negative? Not really, as my wife is a "cruiser", and far from Rossi status, but she has not mentioned to me that the bike feels different or worse than from stock. She's just thrilled that she can ride more confidently/comfortably now that she can get her feet firmly on the ground.

-ky

tb790
12-27-2009, 10:31 PM
My wife took hers in to the dealer, we were going to have the sachs shock modified to bring it down an inch, then the service manager called and said they could lower it 1 inch for $50. They had a defective shock from a Tuono ( had a valve go out and was replaced on warranty,i think that was the model) and found that the lower ring that the spring rests on is the same but shorter. They installed the lower ring and $38 out the door. Lowered it about one inch and she loves it.

mt682
12-28-2009, 02:55 AM
TB,
Could you post a pic of the lower ring they swapped/installed? I want to lower the Mana too since I'm such a shorty.

PAPASMURF
12-28-2009, 02:57 PM
when my lowering shock is added my shop will also lower front end by 30mm to 35mm giving about 1 1/4"

mt682
12-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Ed at AF1 has been very helpful and forthcoming with info regarding lowing the Mana. We can lower the back up to 40mm. The front forks can be slid up in the trees the same amount, keeps the bike level. No extra parts needed. Check out these links:
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193700
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=1383

bode61
01-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Ed and crew did my bike before delivering it to me. I definitely would recommend using their shock. Just from looking at the bike the first thing that I was worried about was that by lowering it in the rear it places the tire closer to the fuel tank but Ed assured me that there was no way they would sell this shock if they thought it would be an issue. Well, because of the weather I have only been able to ride my bike about 250 miles but I cannot feel any difference in the handling vs the test bike I rode before buying mine. It just is a much better safety feeling knowing that at a stop I can place my feet down.

RossGuzzi
02-17-2010, 09:05 AM
A mate of mine is thinking of a Mana, but is a bit short and has a bung arm. He wanted me to find out how high the seat is after being lowered and stock. Anyone know and can tell me?
Cheers!

kboe
02-18-2010, 04:01 AM
stock height: http://tinyurl.com/yjgkytf

with lowering shock: -40mm

RossGuzzi
02-18-2010, 06:19 AM
Erhm, thanks.

I get the hint.

Just thought...................you know...............ok..............Im a lazy prik :D

kboe
02-19-2010, 12:05 AM
glad to see you have a sense of humor! :cheers:

mihract
03-03-2014, 03:57 AM
[= Kboe QUOTE; 2227389] Herhangi bir sorunuz varsa bana bildirin. Dikkatli bir kelime. Düşürücü şok yükledikten sonra yan standında bisiklet ayarlarken her zaman park frenini kullanın. Alt bisiklet ile, (yan standında daha dik) kadar yan yalın değildir, ve bir gürleyen kazasında sonuçlanan tek başına stand off ileri rulo bir eğilim daha fazla olacaktır. Ben biliyorum bana sor ... barış, -ky [/ QUOTE]http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8350/img1088l.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4157/img1089.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1039/img1093d.jpg

PSolk
03-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks Ky for the info. No, I have not bought the Mana. Because of the height issue, I want to make sure I buy a bike that will/can be lowered. With the spring, I think it'll still be iffy. Aprilia should have known that target market will ultimately be females before rolling out this product!! :WTF:

My husband and I have a kawasaki C14 and he has lowered that by fabricating a new suspension link (we own a metal fab shop) using high grade stainless. I wonder if we will be able to go that route as well? And the spring? And shaving the seat or sending it out? Wow! Sounds like a lot of effort! Mike, my husband also mentioned that the suspension for the C14 and the mana is different so fabricating a link may be out of the question. But if that webstore is selling links, then it may not be so different. Hmmmm.... thoughts to ponder.

I need to call that webstore and pick their brain some more. Stay tuned...

There are multiple lowering options so why do you doubt it could be done? Multiple people have already done it myself included until i raised the bike a half inch above stock after grinding down my already shortened sidestand taking quick left handers. Nothing like that stand acting as a pivot point mid corner! Mind you it was on a track but if i had to make a quick left turn i always worried about running out of clearance. What is iffy about the hyperpro lowering shock?

Now....
No offense but what a ridiculous generalization... target market is females? Says who? Why, because it is clutchless lol. Jeez you sound like most harley riders I meet lmao. Any motorcycle is transgender I have seen women on BMW touring bikes unable to do anything but slide half their body off to get a toe down and guys on a 50 c scooter. We have already had someone on the forum who assumed clutchless=girls bike. If memory serves she crashed into a tree or something pulling away from a corner and blamed the bike.

I would guess Mana ownership is at least 80% male based on the forums and you don't build a bike to fit a person. You build a bike to optimize it. I can tell you unequivocally the Mana handles better at stock heights or even a bit higher than stock than lowered. I am 5'6 and went from lowering the bike to raising it for handling and ground clearance. Frankly, you don't need to flat foot a bike. In fact some bikes you are lucky to get ONE toe down lol. I get toes down on the Mana and in some instances one foot flat and the other on the peg.

If you think about it when we shorten our bikes we change the way it rides to make it easier for us when stopped... Personally I would rather have the optimum handling when moving not stopped. I tried shortening didn't like it at all if you can't tell :)

Good luck whatever you decide.

001Debbs
07-22-2014, 06:56 AM
Hi all, I have been reading the threads re lowering the Mana. Are there any forum users from the UK here that have had their Mana lowered in the UK? If so, did you purchase the lowering kit in the UK and where/who did you buy it from?

Thanks all. x

pete roper
07-22-2014, 07:04 AM
There are multiple lowering options so why do you doubt it could be done? Multiple people have already done it myself included until i raised the bike a half inch above stock after grinding down my already shortened sidestand taking quick left handers. Nothing like that stand acting as a pivot point mid corner! Mind you it was on a track but if i had to make a quick left turn i always worried about running out of clearance. What is iffy about the hyperpro lowering shock?

Now....
No offense but what a ridiculous generalization... target market is females? Says who? Why, because it is clutchless lol. Jeez you sound like most harley riders I meet lmao. Any motorcycle is transgender I have seen women on BMW touring bikes unable to do anything but slide half their body off to get a toe down and guys on a 50 c scooter. We have already had someone on the forum who assumed clutchless=girls bike. If memory serves she crashed into a tree or something pulling away from a corner and blamed the bike.

I would guess Mana ownership is at least 80% male based on the forums and you don't build a bike to fit a person. You build a bike to optimize it. I can tell you unequivocally the Mana handles better at stock heights or even a bit higher than stock than lowered. I am 5'6 and went from lowering the bike to raising it for handling and ground clearance. Frankly, you don't need to flat foot a bike. In fact some bikes you are lucky to get ONE toe down lol. I get toes down on the Mana and in some instances one foot flat and the other on the peg.

If you think about it when we shorten our bikes we change the way it rides to make it easier for us when stopped... Personally I would rather have the optimum handling when moving not stopped. I tried shortening didn't like it at all if you can't tell :)

Good luck whatever you decide.

Errr? Paul? Save the keyboard! Anyone who works on the principle that a bike is a 'Girls' bike because its an auto works on such a narrow set of parameters that they probably think McDonalds and Pizza Hut are 'Food' :D

Pete

Motopsycho
07-23-2014, 01:46 PM
I don't think the Mana was designed for "scooteristas" moving up, or to accommodate women, short people, handicapped riders or any of the above. It is a sport touring bike that weighs 500 pounds and uses a sophisticated seven-speed automatic transmission based on motor scooter design. Honda won the prestigious Moto GP for the last two years in a row with a motorcycle that incorporates a seven-speed automatic transmission that is based upon more conventional design, but a seven-speed automatic, nonetheless. So the idea that an automatic is for less accomplished riders has no merit. Aprilia won the prestigious World Super Bike class in '09 and '10 with a motorcycle that corners extremely well compared to others and that seems to be the case with the Mana as well. I believe the Mana was designed for the average motorcycle rider 5'9" to 6'1" who enjoys SPORT TOURING. If it appeals to other types of riders, so much the better.

Judging by the owners on this forum, some people think the Mana was designed for women (at 500 pounds?). Some think it was designed for handicapped people (and I say it works well for this, depending on the handicap). Some think it is designed for scooter riders (and it is good for this, so they can see the advantages of a motorcycle over a small-wheeled scooter), but it's not really for them either. So, it's an argument that will go on for years, but the fact is that lowering the bike will always have an effect, and in this case, it compromises the lean angle. I suppose if you don't corner hard, or ever anticipate having to do so, it doesn't matter, but be warned that when you need it the most, a lowered bike will ground out. I guess it just depends on where you're coming from.

Just my 2 cents.