PDA

View Full Version : Break-in

zuman
09-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I expect to be picking up a Mana in the next ten days and possibly riding it about 150 miles home from the dealer.
With previous bikes I've owned, the break-in recommendations have been everything from "ride it hard, but only for a few minutes at a time" to "if you exceed 40mph during the first 1000 miles your bike will die a horrible death."
What is the official break-in recommendation...and what have you actually done?
Thanks.

pete roper
09-30-2008, 02:15 AM
With a conve4ntional engine you'd say "Don't thrash it, don't lug it and spend lots of time on the over-run." Since you can't lug it due to the CVT just ride it normally woithout tharshing the bollocks off it for the first 500miles and when slowing down use the paddles or 'Gearchange' (What a useless piece oif shit!) to use engine braking.

Sense and mechanical sensitivity is all it takes. At the end of the day if it feels wrong it probably is, if it feels right? It's also probably right!

Pete

williamr
10-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Like Petes says basically. Keep the revs (and speed) down for the first 100 miles then ride it normally but easy. I tend to progress gradually from 1/2 throttle to full throtte over about 500 miles, then spend another 500 with full throttle bursts of increasing duration and a careful eye out for speed cameras.

I've had a couple of big CVT scoots in the past and the belts seem to be better if they get a gentle hundred miles from new.

Rob

SilverFoxUno
10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
How about...Ride it like you stole it!!! Someone needs to find out just how long it will last...I nominate you, Zuman!

I sure hope you know I'm kidding...

zuman
10-01-2008, 07:19 PM
How about...Ride it like you stole it!!! Someone needs to find out just how long it will last...I nominate you, Zuman!

I sure hope you know I'm kidding...

Heheheh...

However, here's one position: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And here's what's probably unique to Royal Enfields:
http://www.nandanmotors.com/running.html

Both are interesting enough to warrant a read.

Dragster pilota
10-02-2008, 03:20 AM
silverfoxuno in da house:
How about...Ride it like you stole it!!! Someone needs to find out just how long it will last...

I have already done that (with some help of a well known Swedish bike journalist) and after 4000km it needed a new belt, DON'T DO IT!!!

I would give it the kevlar belt run-in procedure to start with, just to make sure all the layers of the belt get a chance to bond togheter. The kevlar belt run-in procedure is something everybody that tunes and races scooters & snowmobiles with CVT are familliar with, most performance belts are made of several layers of armid, kevlar, rubber and other stuff and for all this to bond and become as strong as possible we do this after fitting a new belt....

#1. Start up the motor DON'T give it gas, let it idle for somwhere between 20-40 minutes, that will warm the belt through, turn it off...
#2. Let it sit so that the belt cools down, somewhere around 2-4 hours...
#3. Start it up again, DON'T give it gas, let is sit for some 5-10minutes then go for a slow 10-20km cruise with NO sudden busts of gas just slow and steady...
#4. Now let it sit 2-4 hours to cool down and the belt is now ready to go....

I have tried to find out what kind of belt is used in the Mana but I would guess it's some form of a kevlar reinforced belt and doing "the procedure" will extend the life of the belt so it might be worth it, I would ask the dealer who is going to deliver it if he could concider doing that when he starts it up first time, I would have done that anyway when delivering a Mana...

DP says: It's worth a try since it's no childsplay to change the belt on a Mana...

zuman
10-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the belt information...I wasn't aware of that, and I'll call the dealer.

SilverFoxUno
10-02-2008, 10:04 AM
How about...Ride it like you stole it!!! Someone needs to find out just how long it will last...

I have already done that (with some help of a well known Swedish bike journalist) and after 4000km it needed a new belt, DON'T DO IT!!!

I would give it the kevlar belt run-in procedure to start with, just to make sure all the layers of the belt get a chance to bond togheter. The kevlar belt run-in procedure is something everybody that tunes and races scooters & snowmobiles with CVT are familliar with, most performance belts are made of several layers of armid, kevlar, rubber and other stuff and for all this to bond and become as strong as possible we do this after fitting a new belt....

#1. Start up the motor DON'T give it gas, let it idle for somwhere between 20-40 minutes, that will warm the belt through, turn it off...
#2. Let it sit so that the belt cools down, somewhere around 2-4 hours...
#3. Start it up again, DON'T give it gas, let is sit for some 5-10minutes then go for a slow 10-20km cruise with NO sudden busts of gas just slow and steady...
#4. Now let it sit 2-4 hours to cool down and the belt is now ready to go....

I have tried to find out what kind of belt is used in the Mana but I would guess it's some form of a kevlar reinforced belt and doing "the procedure" will extend the life of the belt so it might be worth it, I would ask the dealer who is going to deliver it if he could concider doing that when he starts it up first time, I would have done that anyway when delivering a Mana...

DP says: It's worth a try since it's no childsplay to change the belt on a Mana...

Great...now you tell me...

This is very good information except, unlike other CVTs, isn't the drive pulley loose when the bike is idling meaning the belt is not moving at idle? It would appear the procedure above is intended to move the belt around the driven pulley to "condition" the belt by heating it. I suspect the eCVT is just a little different, since, at idle, the stepper motor has the drive pulley "disengaged" (freewheeling). At least, I think it is - I could be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time...

Dragster pilota
10-02-2008, 11:20 AM
At least, I think it is - I could be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time...

I have not really thought about that but I was of the impression that the CVT on the Mana is working like any CVT, it's the same motor as in the Gilera GP 800 but with the difference that the Gilera does not have the different mode & shift functions that includes that there's no stepper motor and I was of the impression that the stepper motor only changes the way the CVT "shifts gears" and not freewheeling it but if you say tha on the Mana the belt is diengaged I guess it's easy to find out, sadly I don't have a Mana here but maybe the guys at AF1 Racing can tell us that...

DP says: You'r right about the "procedure" will cure the belt by heating and cooling it...

williamr
10-03-2008, 03:21 AM
I'd guess having the pulleys loose enough to disengage the belt would still leave enough drag to heat and wear it - or do you mean that a dog clutch is used to disengage the pulley from the crank?

Is the clutch a conventional CVT type centrifugal clutch?

The belt conditioning procedure is great for the belt, but bad for the engine. You do not want a new motor to idle for an extended period.

Rob