PDA

View Full Version : How to install Battery Tender

RichardU
09-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Has anyone installed a Battery Tender lead on their Mana? What is the best way to get the wire out of the compartment?

tha-mask
09-18-2008, 04:02 AM
If you remove the side panels on the left of the bike as you sit on it you can run a wire from just underneath the accesory socket and get it to poke out just underneath the panels when you put it all back together. When you dont use it you can just tuck it out of the way. I used a similar route to wire my tomtom rider. I put a accessory plug on the end of the wire so it doesnt have to be permanently wired in, and it just lies loose in the fron t storage compartment, when I need it I just plug it in..

mybug
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm at that point to finally getting around to putting my tender on the Mana. Approaching 1st off season with it.

I'm wondering if I might just take a dremel to the batter cover and allow the tender line to run into the helmet compartment with the battery cover on, and then when I connect to the tender I just have the helmet\trunk slightly open.

Is it true that if I were to put a convenience plug on my tender I could put my battery on the tender by just plugging tender into the accessory outlet in the helmet compartment ?

That would even be slicker !

mllcb42
12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
You could easily run a wire out of the compartment and under the seat and have it pop out somewhere under the fold up passenger seat. Pop the seat up, plug in the tender. No need to cut anything.(there's an easy way out of the headlight compartment if you pull some of the body panels off)

Send me a pm with your email address and I can email you the how to for installing my headlights, which includes getting access to that area for running a wiring harness.

Vesparazzi
12-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Mine pops out of storage area.

pete roper
12-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Is it true that if I were to put a convenience plug on my tender I could put my battery on the tender by just plugging tender into the accessory outlet in the helmet compartment ?

Since the accessory plug is unswitched the answer is yes. It will mean you won't be able to leave the 'Tank' locked though unless you make a slit or hole in the waterproof seal or the wall of the compartment. If you leave the 'Lid' ajar it may result in the courtesy light remaining on.

Pete

digart
12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
The courtesy light only comes on with key turned on, I believe. So, my charging cable dangles out from the storage compartment whenever I am parked at home.

Vesparazzi
12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
The courtesy light only comes on with key turned on, I believe. So, my charging cable dangles out from the storage compartment whenever I am parked at home.

Same here

mybug
12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Sounds like the consensus is to pull the cloth insert out and remove a side panel and I'll find a way to run the tender down and out.

OK, I'll give that a look. Thanks,

PSolk
12-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Same here

:plus:

And if I am wearing heated gear I can actually dangle the troller out it out and still close the storage compartment without any issues...

pete roper
12-14-2011, 09:08 AM
The courtesy light only comes on with key turned on, I believe.

I stand corrected.

Pete

mllcb42
12-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Courtesy light comes on when the helmet compartment is opened via the handlebar button. Stays off if you open with the latch under the seat.

digart
12-14-2011, 04:53 PM
mllcb42 Courtesy light comes on when the helmet compartment is opened via the handlebar button. Stays off if you open with the latch under the seat.

What you said is true, but as soon as you turn the bike off, the light goes off.

Brett_from_NC
09-19-2013, 01:48 PM
So theoretical discussion aside - did anyone actually try plugging the charger directly into the accessory outlet and charge the batter with success?

pete roper
09-19-2013, 04:40 PM
As long as the accessory plug is un switched, and from memory it is, you can undoubtably use it as a plug-in point for a tender.

Pete

Motopsycho
09-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Thats how I have been charging mine for a long time. Turn on key to open compartment then turn off key and plug tender into accessory plug. My charger did not come with the adaptor but it was cheap to buy one and I carry it in the frunk so it doesn't get lost.
FWIW I use a baterry minder #12117 trickle charger. This charger has a patented desulfating feature for when it hits full charge. I have used one for years and my batteries really seem to last. I run it for 4-7 days and switch vehicles in the garage