PDA

View Full Version : digi gear indicator

scanman
09-05-2008, 06:49 AM
has anyone ever fitted a digi gear indicator to the tuono...?????????:cheers:

argentifa
09-05-2008, 07:24 AM
oddly enough...it's one of the few bikes I've owned that I feel doesn't really need one...

scanman
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
oddly enough...it's one of the few bikes I've owned that I feel doesn't really need one...

i know where you re coming from its just that at times i find i am still trying for 7th gear,had one on my gixer( before this bike).. found it invaluable i know the 4 cyl was a bit of a screamer, more so than the v twin tuono ...if i can get one which is easily fitted and at reasonable money id say i'll get it fitted.....,:cheers:

Dr. Evil
09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
ISTR someone had tried the Accuthingy one and it didn't work very well on an Ape.

scanman
09-05-2008, 12:51 PM
ISTR someone had tried the Accuthingy one and it didn't work very well on an Ape.

in what way did it not work correctly??

ARAIHEAD
09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I once enquired about a digi thingy at the Accumen stand at the NEC & the fella in charge of thier stand told me that they will work on the Ape but not as quickly as they should do because of something to do with the electrical pulses not being exactly correct!!! :confused::)

scanman
09-05-2008, 01:12 PM
i thought you might be in mourning at the loss of king kev.....

ARAIHEAD
09-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I wish they would offer me the job for the same money he was on!:bump:

scotsy
09-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Had one on a Mille and they are Slooooow at updating the display, especially when going down the box. They use the feeds from the speedo sensor and the rev-counter to set them up so when you change up a gear it instantly checks the engine revs and roadspeed and works out which gear you are in and then displays it......very quickly!!! because you only 'dab' the clutch when upchanging (i don't even use it in the higher gears:)).

When changing DOWN however, it is a different story...

You hold the clutch in for longer and you feed it out slowly through its biting point as you balance the roadspeed and engine revs for a smooth change.... only when the clutch is fully out can the gear indicator 'work out' which gear you are in..........and almost immediately you change down again so the unit looses its ability to work out which gear you are in...and so on

Its gets to a point sometimes when the display loses the plot and just shows the lines on the display going round and round because it can't check the revs against the road speed when you are stopped.

I would HAVE one rather than NOT have one but they are not as good as gearbox mounted ones:worship:

Having said all that...if you only want to know if you are in top gear or not..

IT'LL BE FINE:cheers:

scanman
09-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Had one on a Mille and they are Slooooow at updating the display, especially when going down the box. They use the feeds from the speedo sensor and the rev-counter to set them up so when you change up a gear it instantly checks the engine revs and roadspeed and works out which gear you are in and then displays it......very quickly!!! because you only 'dab' the clutch when upchanging (i don't even use it in the higher gears:)).

You hold the clutch in for longer and you feed it out slowly through its biting point as you balance the roadspeed and engine revs for a smooth change.... only when the clutch is fully out can the gear indicator 'work out' which gear you are in..........and almost immediately you change down again so the unit looses its ability to work out which gear you are in...and so on

Its gets to a point sometimes when the display loses the plot and just shows the lines on the display going round and round because it can't check the revs against the road speed when you are stopped.

I would HAVE one rather than NOT have one but they are not as good as gearbox mounted ones:worship:

yes i had one fitted to a gixer 750 before this bike had the same OCCASIONAL blip but not too frequent..i noticed that according to your speedo you have been on the autobhans too....ahem:kidding::kidding:

scanman
09-06-2008, 02:04 AM

who will end up paying who after the split will be the make or break for the club??????????:cheers:

GC6269
09-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Had one on my Fazer 1000 and it was great, like you I often look for 7th. Put one on the Tuono and to put it mildly, it was a crock of shite. So much so that it now resides on a shelf in the garage.

It didnt update quickly enough and often showed 5th when I was in 6th. Thus rendering it useless. If I could find one that works, I'd buy it tomorrow.

Cryogenic
09-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I have an Accumen one fitted, I didn't fit it as it came already on the bike, had no manual tho, at first it gave all kinds of crazy readings but when I found time to find out how to set it up properly I've not had a problem since other than some readings being a little slow on downshifts at speed but thats hardly noticeable. On the whole its given pretty accurate readings

FTM
09-07-2008, 12:46 PM
i thought you might be in mourning at the loss of king kev.....

keegan left because he had enought of the thick mag b*astards poor spelling. Boycoutt the club I say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmH-NHxp2Bs&feature=related

:burnout:

The Dr.Jon
09-07-2008, 02:10 PM
keegan left because he had enought of the thick mag b*astards poor spelling. Boycoutt the club I say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmH-NHxp2Bs&feature=related

:burnout:
Thick koonts!:rolleyes:

Jaguar
09-07-2008, 06:03 PM

It sounds like it would work fine if you would match revs with a throttle blip on the downchanges, instead of trying to "feed out" the clutch slowly.

So, Scanman, maybe the answer depends in part on whether you use that technique.

scanman
09-08-2008, 01:04 AM
It sounds like it would work fine if you would match revs with a throttle blip on the downchanges, instead of trying to "feed out" the clutch slowly.

So, Scanman, maybe the answer depends in part on whether you use that technique.

yes its varies on what model of gear indicator you get and how you ride the bike even ...so thanks for all the feedback,if i do get one fitted i'll let you know how it and i behave .............:worship::worship:

scotsy
09-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Have you had one and tried it?

Didn't think so:fangs:

I personally DO blip and match but that won't help get a reading mate:soap:

When it tries to work out which gear you're in from the roadspeed (electronic feed to speedo) and your revs (electronic feed to your tacho) it won't be able to decide until the revs and roadspeed 'match' a preset level, then and ONLY then will it display a number.

For those that don't know the set-up procedure for these things I'll have a go at remembering :eek:

after wiring in as per instructions i think you end up with a 'left over' wire (orange?) which you need to 'ground' at certain times during the set-up.

I put my front wheel against a wall and placed rear end UP on the paddock stand, run the engine to a steady 4k and ground the wire to set this (roadspeed/revs) as 0 (neutral), repeat for 1st gear at a steady 4k revs (because the wheel is spinning and the revs are steady it can now work out a relationship between the roadspeed/revs for 1st gear), repeat again for 2nd gear at a steady 4k revs (because the wheel is spinning and the revs are steady it can now work out a relationship between the roadspeed/revs for 2nd gear), repeat again for the other gears and then finalise the settings (i can't remember how:confused:)

If you alter the sprockets after this set-up you will need to let it re-learn the roadspeed/revs relationship by doing it all again:pissed:

As for qouteing me about 'feeding the clutch out slowly' i was trying to stress the difference between an upshift and a downshift but if its only me that takes a split-second longer to change down than up ,then i stand corrected:eek:

HTH

GC6269
09-08-2008, 01:20 PM
If you alter the sprockets after this set-up you will need to let it re-learn the roadspeed/revs relationship by doing it all again:pissed:

Hmmm, you've got me thinking now.....

scanman
09-08-2008, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=scotsy;1964523]Have you had one and tried it?

very informative you're a veritable teacher in disguise.....
sounds about right for the way i set it up on the gixer 750....:worship::worship:

scotsy
09-08-2008, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=scotsy;1964523]Have you had one and tried it?

very informative you're a veritable teacher in disguise.....
sounds about right for the way i set it up on the gixer 750....:worship::worship:

I did used to be a 'driving Instructor' :bump:

scanman
09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=scanman;1964584]

I did used to be a 'driving Instructor' :bump:

some things are hard to disguise obviously:kidding::kidding::kidding:

Cryogenic
09-08-2008, 04:55 PM
The Data-tool Digi-gear version is a bit of a fiddle with that ground wire system they use to set it up with..the Accumen version is better as it has a set button on the unit to make all the calibrations with.
Its critical to be patient when making the settings otherwise it will give mis-readings and as said, if you alter gear sizes then you need to re-calibrate the unit