PDA

View Full Version : the de-restrict process

mrbobolonian
09-04-2008, 10:29 AM
hey guys i just passed my breakin period (08 sr50 ditech morini) so i wanted to get it deresricted.... (finally) So i called the dealer to see how much they charge to do it and the guy was telling me some BS like it was going to take over 2 hours and i needed to get clutch springs and rollers- total cost $400!!! other than the ecu i thought it was just bending back a tab and removing the variator ring.

related to the ecu, i had some problems with my oil light a while back and they did something with the gameboy to clear the code. i am pretty sure they derestricted the ecu cuz my bike revs to about 8500-9000 now, but when i asked him he said they didnt. before my bike only reved to about 7800. so basically after i got the bike back it is dead slow until i hit like 7000 rpm and/or 20mph. top speed is about 35/36mph. should i try taking out the vario ring first?

MeepMeep
09-04-2008, 11:42 AM
if thats your top speed then i think you def have something wrong. mine did 47-48 out of the box and my dealer claims they didnt de-restrict anything.

Hilbily
09-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Sounds like they just want to take your money, more than do anything.
My 07 Morini would only rev to about 7700 on the center stand before de-restriction, so your ecu may allready be de-restricted. Put it on the stand and get the front tire against a wall, sit on it and rev it to the max and see where it hits the rev limiter, mine was around 11,500 if I remember right.
Get some 6.5-7 gram weights and the vario ring out to finish the job.
I would urge you to install a watertrap, ride it WFO, and enjoy.

bilsta
09-04-2008, 12:59 PM
cheaper to just buy a 70 kit !

dirthawker1313
09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
my dealer did the ecu derestrict for 45 bucks and i took the variator ring out and added the weights myself.. there ripping you off unless there adding an exhaust then it might be worth it. and mine only did 33mph before that.

poodleman78
09-05-2008, 03:04 AM
The thing about my dealer is that he has only sold 2 SR50 R Factories..period.
So he was really hesitant on getting the gameboy software and such.....the price for it is inbetween 300-350 and he wanted to make sure that I was going to do it then he ordered it to do the job. It costed me 150...but that's ok...it was well worth it. He's the only aprilia dealer in a 200+ mile radius near me. Other than that...their pretty good...but they don't know nothing about the ditechs or anything affiliating w/ 'em. They also sell Vespa, Arctic Cat, Huskavarna, Moto Guzi, and of course aprilia. The 8gr rollers they ordered from aprilia were only $5.65 total. But the labor was 40.00 to put 'em in. The rest of the derestriction was done by me.

thamil
09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
cheaper to just buy a 70 kit !

yeah, but for every one person that's loves it, there is one person that has problems with reliability

Snugg
09-05-2008, 02:11 PM
hey guys i just passed my breakin period (08 sr50 ditech morini) so i wanted to get it deresricted.... (finally) So i called the dealer to see how much they charge to do it and the guy was telling me some BS like it was going to take over 2 hours and i needed to get clutch springs and rollers- total cost $400!!! other than the ecu i thought it was just bending back a tab and removing the variator ring.

= your dealer doesn't know how to de-restrict a Morini SR50.
Since your in the US, your scooter is probably an '07 SR50. Check the vin to verify it. They only have '08's overseas. Here they skipped from '07 - '09.

From your description, it doesn't sound like your ECU has been de-restricted so they would need to do the following:

De-restrict ECU - Development mode
Remove washer from variator
install 6.8g rollers. shown below from Aprilia

Cost for de-restriction in Denver, CO is between free-90.00

http://www.donwerner.dk/derestrictpart11.jpg

http://www.donwerner.dk/derestrictpart22.jpg

http://www.donwerner.dk/derestrictpart33.jpg

mrbobolonian
09-05-2008, 02:27 PM
thanks for the help guys.... im just gonna bring it in for them to derestrict the ecu and im gonna do the rest myself. to my understanding rollers are fairly cheap so ill just order some 6.8g ones and put them in along with taking the variator ring out.

i heard some people alternate between 3 stock and 3 6.8g? any comments? i weigh about 155lbs and im looking to get more low end torque more than a high top speed. as long as i can hit 45 top speed with good bottom end ill be happy.

poodleman78
09-06-2008, 05:51 AM
mrbob.......b4 I got the leozx...(stock pipe) and derestricted...I ran 3 8.00 gram rollers and 3 11.35 rollers and the acceleration was awsome and the top speed was 50 on flat.

You can mix rollers but make sure (can't stress this enuf) that you variate the colors:
black/yellow/black/yellow/black/yellow

But now w/ the leozx on there i hafta go lighter than 8.00 grams to get a better top end and tighter acceleration. I too will mix an match rollers again to see what I can come up w/ for me personally. I'm 220 and 6'3" so my combo might not work so well w/ your height and weight..... When you have a few other roller weight sets mix and match 'em and see what happens.

Tip...when everything is tightened down just put a bolt into your air filter box but leave off the cvt cover (nice day out) and try it that way to get a general idea how that setup will work.

mrbobolonian
09-25-2008, 02:52 PM
so i got the derestriction of the ecu done and i did the vario ring myself... i put in 3 stock rollers and 3 6.8 rollers in. acceleration is dead from about 0-20 then it shoots up to 47 top speed. anyway i can fix this??

dirthawker1313
09-25-2008, 02:58 PM
yea i would put all the 6.8 rollers in.. itll zip off the line. i personally run 7.2 rollers with leo vince zx im 120 lbs and 5'11" tall i get a top speed on flat of 53 mph also if your gonna leave 3 and 3 make sure to stagger them 6.8,stock,6.8,stock etc.