PDA

View Full Version : New owner saying hi~

rs250aprilia
08-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Just bought a 2007 sr50 (with a 70 Mallosi Kit)

It currently has the red light on...and I've read a little here on the forums...looking to find out more about these fun little scooters - I'll post pics.

It has an Arrow pipe on it now - but I'm thinking about getting a ZX - what would this used pipe be worth? (has 700 miles on it)

Lots of great info here...I've been reading all the stickys and following threads....Since mine has the 70cc kit I'm a little more nervous about reliability - but the stock taken off parts have been included in the sale...so I guess I could put it all back.

Also - I want a surf board rack for this scooter...anyone know where I can buy one (I've searched online everywhere and have come across dead-ends)

Dman51
08-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Great to have you on board and enjoy your scoot you will love it. As far as a surf board goes youd be the first and most daring :plus:

veloracermike
08-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Welcome abord!! Your 70cc kit came with the Malossi ECU and that is what is causing the dash error light. A lot of guys are using the stock ECU with the Malossi TC unit to get around the issue. Fwiw the light being on isn't hurting anything.

rs250aprilia
08-31-2008, 11:07 PM
So if Malossi makes this TC kit...I wonder why the kit doesn't come with it that way...if anyone can point me in the right direction to buy that part....I'd appreciate it. (or know a way to disable the light without buying anything...I'm game to pull the dash apart.)

Other than that....I love that thing.:lover:

06spidey2
08-31-2008, 11:15 PM
For your surf board rack, I would call scooterworks. Go to the website for phone number
www.scooterworks.com
They have side cars, various racks, shielding, etc. Not much for the Aprilia, but a surfboard rack would have to be modded for our application.

rs250aprilia
08-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Sweet link - I'm going through their site now- but didn't find anything like I'm imagining... This is the rack that I'm looking for...but so far having no luck locating onehttp://www.greenspeed.us/graphics/accessories/moped_surf_rack.jpg

This site has them on their site..but I haven't been able to confirm is they are actually in stock....need to call them

link: http://www.electriccyclery.com/catalog/scooter-moped-surfboard-rack-p-103.html

looks like it will mount up without too much hassle

06spidey2
09-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Now that is a rackk man, and could even haul road kill, if needed. Seriously, freakin sweet rack.

rs250aprilia
09-01-2008, 09:41 AM
hey - I've also searched for group events or ride gatherings in my area - It would help to meet others with the SR50 scooters...maybe help to exchange info on modding. (I belong to a Mini Cooper club, its been helpful and I've made some good friends in the process)

There is a group ride next week from Oceanside Aprilia to benefit Kassidy Brewer (the daughter of the manager who's in a coma after suffering a brain aneurysm....but I'm out of town and will miss it)
If you are interested in her story click this link: http://www.vespaoceanside.com/Portal/Default.aspx?tabid=98

http://www.vespaoceanside.com/Portal/Portals/0/kassidyposeter.jpg

shorty08
09-01-2008, 09:54 AM
welcome to the fast mad world which is the sr50 lol...

06spidey2
09-01-2008, 10:05 AM
I'll be down in San Diego w/Spidey in October. Keep an eye out in Oceanside, and around mission bay.

rs250aprilia
09-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Hit me up ahead of time...I'd like to meet some fellow SR50 guys (really curious if My scoot runs as to be expected with this kit..since I'm not sure of the wights - it seems slow off the line..but good top-end speed....so I'm not bothered...just want to get some advice)

See ya one day maybe

veloracermike
09-01-2008, 09:18 PM
So if Malossi makes this TC kit...I wonder why the kit doesn't come with it that way...if anyone can point me in the right direction to buy that part....I'd appreciate it. (or know a way to disable the light without buying anything...I'm game to pull the dash apart.)

Other than that....I love that thing.:lover:

Ahh the question of the ages....well what seems to be the hot ticket is to remove the Malossi ECU and piggy back the Malossi TC unit to the stock ECU. The malossi TC unit part number is:

Malossi TC #5512077 (Morini engine which is what I believe you have)

If you have the Piagio engine it's this part number. Go to the FAQ's and check your engine model.

This is one place to order it http://www.sip-scootershop.com/

06spidey2
09-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Out of stock......Highgain was looking there too. The Malossi TC definitely leans things out to a better running perfection. I'm getting 95 mpg, and I got a tad better when I had the 50cc stock. And no dash errors is a comfort, even though the red light was just a warning for the immobilizer (in the stock ecu).

rs250aprilia
09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
One other question - where in San Diego area would you recommend to have the scoot worked on?

I might want to get the roller weights optimised as I think this scoot needs some tinkering - the previous owner couldn't tell me what it has in it. (to me it seems weird how high it revs before anything happens)...it doesn't start until the revs are super high...kind of like too low a gearing - again, I'm completely new to the scooter world so bear with me

FYI - I have motorcycles and have owned a couple RS 250's among some of my bikes - my current ride is a Ducati Hypermotard..so I'm not a beginner rider - but I am a complete noob with scooters - but I'm finding it fun learning something new.

gatsuga
09-02-2008, 11:50 PM
welcome! scoot on brotha

rs250aprilia
09-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I found out from the previous owner that my rollers are 7.8 gram

Does this sound right for a 165lb passneger? with a 70cc Malossi kit?

THanks

Snugg
09-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I found out from the previous owner that my rollers are 7.8 gram

Does this sound right for a 165lb passneger? with a 70cc Malossi kit?

THanks

7.8 is what the dealership installed when they "de-restricted my first '07 Morini.
I weigh the same as you and changed to 7g. I enjoyed the acceleration much more then. Didn't effect my top end.

unknown4400
09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Out of stock......Highgain was looking there too. The Malossi TC definitely leans things out to a better running perfection. I'm getting 95 mpg, and I got a tad better when I had the 50cc stock. And no dash errors is a comfort, even though the red light was just a warning for the immobilizer (in the stock ecu).

wow 95mpg,:WTF: thats pritty low for a SR isn't it?
i can get at least 130 out of mine and when it was restricted i worked it out to be 150

Snugg
09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
i can get at least 130 out of mine and when it was restricted i worked it out to be 150

Highest I have gotten was 118 mpg.

Right now I'm running around 92mpg

unknown4400
09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Highest I have gotten was 118 mpg.

Right now I'm running around 92mpg

just looked it up
this is probably why

U.S. liquid gallon is legally defined as 231 cubic inches,[1] and is equal to (exactly) 3.785411784 litres

Imperial (UK) gallon is legally defined as 4.54609 litres.

Reference = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

suppose if your getting 118mpg it works out about the same

rs250aprilia
09-03-2008, 10:20 PM
7.8 is what the dealership installed when they "de-restricted my first '07 Morini.
I weigh the same as you and changed to 7g. I enjoyed the acceleration much more then. Didn't effect my top end.

So would you say that I need lighter roller weights? Would this give me better acceleration?

06spidey2
09-03-2008, 10:46 PM

I have a BBK 70cc set up for accelleration, so yes, 95mpg is good for now. I've done some "tuning" since then, should get better.

rs250aprilia
09-03-2008, 11:27 PM
I have a BBK 70cc set up for accelleration, so yes, 95mpg is good for now. I've done some "tuning" since then, should get better.

If I'm thinking of switching to a different weight roller - would you say 7 gram - or 6.8 would be good for better acceleration then what I currently have? (since you seem to be the tuning person on this forum) still learning my way around...so just looking for a little help - I find the scoot doesn't get off the line with much authority - and want it to hit harder earlier - top end I'm satisfied with - just too slow off the line....thanks for any answer here...appreciate it.
:cheers:

06spidey2
09-04-2008, 08:21 AM
6.8 or 7g's, should do the trick(very close so the .2g difference is just a minor tweek tuning). I picked up some 9.5g, 7.2g, 7.0g, and 6.8g, for tuning purposes. Right now, I'm still running a mix of malossi 7g & stock.
If you want to get off the line with authority, malossi red contra is what your after. That made a big difference for me.