PDA

View Full Version : 2009 and the Leo Vince pipe

cdenver
08-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Has anyone put a Leo Vince ZX pipe on a 2009 sr50 and had it work? My dealer claims that they have had success tuning theses pipes, but they have had my scooter for 3 days trying to figure out why, when the bike gets warmed up that it sputters badly at around 6000- 7000 rpms? any info would be great!

TiminIndy
08-27-2008, 01:07 AM
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158463

Sean1
08-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Well if they find out why it sputters, you be sure to report back here because you are not alone.

though mine only sputters at rpms below 6-7000k with the LVZX pipe on.

I am glad more people are reporting this issue, maybe someone with more knowledge willl start taking this more seriously and actually come up with a solution. It is a shame that it gets like this when warmed upp because when it is cold it runs like the best f***ng scooter ever!

Dragster pilota
08-27-2008, 02:46 AM
sean1 in da house:
Well if they find out why it sputters, you be sure to report back here because you are not alone

If you have read my comments on overreved Piaggio motors the first place to look would be if there's a fault code 15 for overreved, if there is have it reset by a dealer with the GameBoy that could be a good start, I suspect the Piaggio motor that revs much harder then the old Aprilia/Morini would be able to hit overrev with a pipe that's made to give more on the top, just a thought.....

DP says: Still think the stock pipe works great (but don't look the biz) on these scoots, restricted or de-restricted...

Sean1
08-27-2008, 03:23 AM
No no errors in there. I recall another member that have the same sputtering issue and he does have ECU error 15. I didnt though.

My SR50 was not ECU restricted when i bought, can it still be overreved ? And what symptoms does this fault code cause ?

lau_americanu
08-27-2008, 10:36 AM
ya thats me..im probably gonna go to the dealer and see what the problem is with the ecu error 15 but I heard a zmr7ap spark plug solves the sputtering problem so I ordered one..i will report back with the results

Dragster pilota
08-27-2008, 11:56 AM
sean1 in da house:
My SR50 was not ECU restricted when i bought, can it still be overreved ? And what symptoms does this fault code cause

If I'm not wrong you'r from Sweden and then your scoot is restricted in ECU and vario since that's the way they are delivered over here. We have only seen the overrev code on scoots with the ECU in restricted mode, symptoms are not wanting to rev right, stalling and sputtering much like you all explain you observe. NO spark plug in the world will cure the problem, only resetting with the GameBoy will clear up the fault 15 code....

DP says: If this is a US 09 problem as well I don't know....

lau_americanu
08-27-2008, 12:25 PM
sean1 in da house:
My SR50 was not ECU restricted when i bought, can it still be overreved ? And what symptoms does this fault code cause

If I'm not wrong you'r from Sweden and then your scoot is restricted in ECU and vario since that's the way they are delivered over here. We have only seen the overrev code on scoots with the ECU in restricted mode, symptoms are not wanting to rev right, stalling and sputtering much like you all explain you observe. NO spark plug in the world will cure the problem, only resetting with the GameBoy will clear up the fault 15 code....

It seems like it is a problem with the US 09s as well...when i bought the scoot my dealer told they couldnt find where to plug the gameboy so they said it is de-restricted..it seems like it is de-restricted because im hitting 50-53 on flats but i think about taking it to them to remap the ECU but if they cant find where to plug the gameboy how are they gonna remap the ECU?:confused::bangwall::bangwall:

Snugg
08-27-2008, 01:20 PM
ya thats me..im probably gonna go to the dealer and see what the problem is with the ecu error 15 but I heard a zmr7ap spark plug solves the sputtering problem so I ordered one..i will report back with the results

ECU Error 15 just means that your scooter hit the rev limiter.
After it is started and ran 4 consecutive without hitting the limiter, the error will clear and go to memory.
Nothing to be concerned about.

lau_americanu
08-27-2008, 01:28 PM
ECU Error 15 just means that your scooter hit the rev limiter.
After it is started and ran 4 consecutive without hitting the limiter, the error will clear and go to memory.
Nothing to be concerned about.

Are you sure about this snugg because dragster pilota is saying that only by remapping the ecu i can get rid of this?

Snugg
08-27-2008, 02:07 PM
DP has MUCH more experience than I do especially with a Piaggio. I guess I should have stated that on my Morini when I got an error 15 it was from hitting the rev limiter. It cleared it's self.
My sputtering stayed until I changed plugs.

Sean1
08-27-2008, 04:27 PM
sean1 in da house:

Mine was/is definitely not ECU restricted (i think). It only had the V-ring. It tops 90km/h (downhill) and around 84km/h on plain road. With the V-ring it revs up to 9500k and without the V-ring it stays in normal range at 8500K. Does that sound like a ECU restricted scoot ? I dont know since i am new to these bikes but if you still think it it restricted, I will get it derestricted.

Dragster pilota
08-28-2008, 03:20 AM
snugg in da house:
I guess I should have stated that on my Morini when I got an error 15 it was from hitting the rev limiter. It cleared it's self.

Like I pointed out, I have seen error 15 on both Aprilia/Morini (on mine all the time) and Piaggio motorized ones, the only reflection is that the Piaggio will not perform 100% when the fault is displayed, the Morini will run just fine with it and clearing it is not that important, The Piaggio motor feels like it's down on power and it will sputter & cough untill the fault is reset with the GameBoy, I have heard from other dealers that resetting the fault in the dash is not enough, we only use the GameBoy to diagnose these scoots...

lau americanu in da house:
when i bought the scoot my dealer told they couldnt find where to plug the gameboy so they said it is de-restricted

Just tells me they have NO clue to what they are doing, did they find the 2-stroke oil tank??? did they know how to correctly start it up??? do they know on what side their ass is??? When it comes to if the North American 09's are restricted or not I don't really know but I have a hard time believing that if it has a restriction ring in the vario that it will be in "development mode" in the ECU at delivery.....

lau americanu in da house:
because dragster pilota is saying that only by remapping the ecu i can get rid of this

You don't need to remapp it you only need to hook up the GameBoy, check the fault codes and if overrev #15 is there reset it. You don't have to change software to do this, checking for fault codes should be done at every service since there could be others that have to be taken care of not only by resetting but by going deeper into it and even changing parts .....

Sean1 in da house:
Mine was/is definitely not ECU restricted (i think).

You have not really answered my question but if your 2008 SR50 Factory is sold in Sweden IT IS restricted in the ECU, have someone (since no dealer will do it, laws, laws) with a GameBoy and Aprilia cartridge set the ECU in "development mode" and you'll feel that it gets more power, not really more top speed but much more omph in the motor.....

Yesterday I had a meeting with the VP of Swedish Piaggio (piaggio, vespa, gilera comes from a different importer than Aprilia here) and he confirmed what I have said before, he had just visited the Chinese Piaggio plant where they make Piaggio Zip, Piaggio Fly & Piaggio Carnaby for the European market, he said that on those lines the Aprilia SportCity One & SR50 Factory was also built (he was not allowed to ask questions about what markets the Aprilia's were for), as of now all the motors and electrics are shipped in from Europe and mostly they are just bulding the scoots there but Piaggio is as we speak building a big engine plant next door....

DP says: Just want a SportCity One with a Piaggio Pure Jet motor in.....

THE MAX
08-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Yesterday I had a meeting with the VP of Swedish Piaggio (piaggio, vespa, gilera comes from a different importer than Aprilia here) and he confirmed what I have said before, he had just visited the Chinese Piaggio plant where they make Piaggio Zip, Piaggio Fly & Piaggio Carnaby for the European market, he said that on those lines the Aprilia SportCity One & SR50 Factory was also built (he was not allowed to ask questions about what markets the Aprilia's were for), as of now all the motors and electrics are shipped in from Europe and mostly they are just bulding the scoots there but Piaggio is as we speak building a big engine plant next door....The injection parts are Synject so we better look there .........

russttu
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Mine was/is definitely not ECU restricted (i think). It only had the V-ring. It tops 90km/h (downhill) and around 84km/h on plain road. With the V-ring it revs up to 9500k and without the V-ring it stays in normal range at 8500K. Does that sound like a ECU restricted scoot ? I dont know since i am new to these bikes but if you still think it it restricted, I will get it derestricted.

Mine is stock with the ring on it and it will rev past 9000.

LKB3rd
08-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Yesterday I had a meeting with the VP of Swedish Piaggio (piaggio, vespa, gilera comes from a different importer than Aprilia here) and he confirmed what I have said before, he had just visited the Chinese Piaggio plant where they make Piaggio Zip, Piaggio Fly & Piaggio Carnaby for the European market, he said that on those lines the Aprilia SportCity One & SR50 Factory was also built (he was not allowed to ask questions about what markets the Aprilia's were for), as of now all the motors and electrics are shipped in from Europe and mostly they are just bulding the scoots there but Piaggio is as we speak building a big engine plant next door....

This explains the quality problems on the '09 USA models. They are probably being assembled by 14 year old factory slaves being paid 30 cents an hour.
Nice to know I paid more for a quality Italian scooter instead of a chinese one, and got a chinese one for twice the price.
deep breath....
Ok, I got an Italian scooter assembled by a 14 year old factory slave. I thought corporate greed, where they destroy the quality of everything and then raise the prices, and the salary of the ceo was an American thing. I guess the Italians are getting on the gravy train too.

veloracermike
08-28-2008, 01:28 PM
This explains the quality problems on the '09 USA models. They are probably being assembled by 14 year old factory slaves being paid 30 cents an hour.
Nice to know I paid more for a quality Italian scooter instead of a chinese one, and got a chinese one for twice the price.
deep breath....
Ok, I got an Italian scooter assembled by a 14 year old factory slave. I thought corporate greed, where they destroy the quality of everything and then raise the prices, and the salary of the ceo was an American thing. I guess the Italians are getting on the gravy train too.

Although I agree with you about the corporate greed thing, there are varying degrees of quality coming from China. Some Chinese built scoots are quite good, Kymco comes to mind. Honesty these issues with the 09 don't sound like a quality control issue as much as some kind of design flaw. If you guys were breaking parts it would be one thing but this seems to something that is inherently wrong with how these bikes operate.

I'd be curious to see what would happen if the ECU from an 07 Pig powered bike were put onto an 09 Pig powered bike. There is something going on with electronics of this bike to cause all this sputtering and misfiring.

Sean1
08-29-2008, 06:02 AM
DP

You have not really answered my question but if your 2008 SR50 Factory is sold in Sweden IT IS restricted in the ECU, have someone (since no dealer will do it, laws, laws) with a GameBoy and Aprilia cartridge set the ECU in "development mode" and you'll feel that it gets more power, not really more top speed but much more omph in the motor.....

I'll just have to trust you on that then even though i cant imagine the scoot being more powerful than it already is when the engine is cold.
Thing is, i dont know anyone that has the cartridge. When i asked my dealer, he directed me to some motorcykel shop far away. I'll have to buy the whole thing my self. The summer is over anyway so I'll leave it for the next season.

TiminIndy
08-29-2008, 07:46 AM
DP

I'll just have to trust you on that then even though i cant imagine the scoot being more powerful than it already is when the engine is cold.
Thing is, i dont know anyone that has the cartridge. When i asked my dealer, he directed me to some motorcykel shop far away. I'll have to buy the whole thing my self. The summer is over anyway so I'll leave it for the next season.

Maybe you could send your ECU to Dragster Pilota??

Sean1
08-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Would love to but i dont think he will do it since he is a dealer too.
I dont know, would you DP ?

(since no dealer will do it, laws, laws)

Dragster pilota
08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
sean1 in da house:
I dont know, would you DP ?

Noop we have in our contract with Aprilia if we ever de-restrict an Aprilia we will not be allowed to sell Aprilia anymore, Swedish laws on de-restricting are real hard, we have also had to sign an agreament (not legally but moraly bindning) with the local Police that we will not install or tune mopeds, we are allowed to sell tune parts but we will not fit them....

Sean1 you should have someone de-restrict your ECU, specially if you have fitted a pipe on your scoot, I have seen some serious damage done to these motors when not de-retsricted in the ECU...

DP says: You guys over in the States have it much easier with the whole de-restrict thing...

Sean1
08-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I'll just buy the whole cartridge then.

LKB3rd
08-30-2008, 04:55 AM
What about sending it to someone is the US? I guess having it yourself, in case you want to try a couple of things might be nice, but it sure is expensive.

06spidey2
08-30-2008, 09:03 AM
What about sending it to someone is the US? I guess having it yourself, in case you want to try a couple of things might be nice, but it sure is expensive.

The exchange rate will even make it cheaper. The best part about it, is you can use it a few times, box it back up & Ebay it, for the same price you bought it for.

Sean1
08-30-2008, 10:14 AM

Yeah sure, i have no problems with that. But to who ? I dont know anyone in US that has the cartridge. Do you have the cartridge and willing to derestrict mine ?

LKB3rd
08-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah sure, i have no problems with that. But to who ? I dont know anyone in US that has the cartridge. Do you have the cartridge and willing to derestrict mine ?
No, sorry. I have seen posts where people were willing to gameboy ecu's if they were sent. Maybe someone will chime in here who could/would do it.

Sean1
08-30-2008, 10:47 AM
hope so.
Maybe this will solve the sputtering issues.