PDA

View Full Version : painting my bike

aprilia~pimpin
08-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Wanted to know what's the best way to paint my bike and what kind of paint should I use?

dirtbleed
08-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Start by sanding everything with 400 grit. Any auto paint store will mix you any color you want. Then you can prime it, paint it and clearcoat it. You need a HVLP gun. I've painted many motorcycle tanks, call me if you need help.

Phoumistyles
08-24-2008, 09:28 PM
yo dont really need a real paint gun to spray your scoot. Duplicolor in a can works pretty good. as long as you sand it down really well and take your time and Do Not paint it outdoors you can do a good job on it. SANDING IT SMOOTH is the key to a good paint job.

400 grit to remove the top clear coat.

then use some sandable primer. wait till that dries and wet-sand that down with 1000 grit.

Spray a coat with duplicolor or any good paint with a good nozzle. check to see that it sprayed a clean coat with no spots in it. if a few spots wet-sand those spots. then lay on about 2 coats of color. wet sand again with 2000 grit.

then spray on some clear. if it looks good add a 2nd coat wet sand this last coat then one last coat of clear. then you should be done. or u can add more coats of clear just depends on how shiny you want the paint to look. this will probably take a few days if u wanna get it done right. the long part is waiting for paint to fully dry.

this is the cheapest way to get a good paint job. when i painted mine it probably cost me around 50 bucks. but i also had body damage and needed bondo and more sandpaper.

you can spray with a real spray gun and air compressor but if you have no experience then i dont recommend you trying it yourself.

Good Luck on the new paint job. message me if you want more info or pics to show you my paint job.

aprilia~pimpin
08-25-2008, 12:12 AM
yo dont really need a real paint gun to spray your scoot. Duplicolor in a can works pretty good. as long as you sand it down really well and take your time and Do Not paint it outdoors you can do a good job on it. SANDING IT SMOOTH is the key to a good paint job.

400 grit to remove the top clear coat.

then use some sandable primer. wait till that dries and wet-sand that down with 1000 grit.

Spray a coat with duplicolor or any good paint with a good nozzle. check to see that it sprayed a clean coat with no spots in it. if a few spots wet-sand those spots. then lay on about 2 coats of color. wet sand again with 2000 grit.

then spray on some clear. if it looks good add a 2nd coat wet sand this last coat then one last coat of clear. then you should be done. or u can add more coats of clear just depends on how shiny you want the paint to look. this will probably take a few days if u wanna get it done right. the long part is waiting for paint to fully dry.

this is the cheapest way to get a good paint job. when i painted mine it probably cost me around 50 bucks. but i also had body damage and needed bondo and more sandpaper.

you can spray with a real spray gun and air compressor but if you have no experience then i dont recommend you trying it yourself.

Good Luck on the new paint job. message me if you want more info or pics to show you my paint job.

did you take your bike apart or did you leave it as is?

Frank Froese
08-25-2008, 05:06 AM
I painted mine with 99 cent white and black spraypaint, then finished with a clear coat. That was 2 years ago and it still looks good. The key is light coats and take your time. It is easiest if you strip the scooter down and spray the parts separately. Good luck.:cheers:

veloracermike
08-25-2008, 09:14 AM
I think you guys who used a rattle can to paint your bikes should add the caveat that it won't look like a factory paint job. I used to shoot cars for a shop that delt with high end and show cars. You can do a decent job with a rattle can but you have to lower you expectations.

aprilia~pimpin
08-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I painted mine with 99 cent white and black spraypaint, then finished with a clear coat. That was 2 years ago and it still looks good. The key is light coats and take your time. It is easiest if you strip the scooter down and spray the parts separately. Good luck.:cheers:
How much sanding did you do? From what I understand I have to sand- paint- sand - paint - sand - and then clear coat ?

veloracermike
08-25-2008, 10:49 AM
How much sanding did you do? From what I understand I have to sand- paint- sand - paint - sand - and then clear coat ?

With a rattle can you don't have to sand the final color coat, this is not a two stage paint process. Unlike a real two stage process which is designed for this.

When wet sanding keep a good flow of water over the surface, use a flexible sanding block in areas that you can, remember that with a rattle can you won't have the coverage like you would with a professional spray gun so be careful not to burn through the paint when sanding.

Something to think about is if you are doing a single color is to use a Maaco or Earl Shiebs type of paint shop. These guys actually do a decent spray job, where they don't do such a good prepping the job. If you do the prep, and have them shoot it you'll end up with a nicer job. The other thing you might want to consider is using a good shop. I've had several of my race cars painted at shops. They will do them as a side job for cash or use one of their apprentice shooters to do the job as practice. I've had race cars done for under 200 bucks and there is 4 times the fiber glass on one of those than a SR50.

aprilia~pimpin
08-25-2008, 11:13 AM
How many days should it take with a rattle can? I only have one day a week off I figure I can start early in the morning around 5am and should be done by 2am

Frank Froese
08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I think you guys who used a rattle can to paint your bikes should add the caveat that it won't look like a factory paint job. I used to shoot cars for a shop that delt with high end and show cars. You can do a decent job with a rattle can but you have to lower you expectations.

Sure... but I wasn't trying to make it pretty. I was covering up an accident. I'm not into pretty.:kidding:

aprilia~pimpin
08-25-2008, 08:51 PM
My reason for all of this is simple! To many people are buying aprilias! I'm not the only bike on the block anymore! It sucks ! But at the same time I know they haven't done the mods that ive done! And if it wasn't for a couple of red lights and no u turn sighns I would have burned them on the spot - I'm still debating if I'm going to keep the Aprilia stickers on the sides of my bike! And honestly and this goes out to everyone who has moded there bike to 70CCS - we have evolved our bikes! So why not evolve it from the inside out? If you check out the bikes in Europe there moded to the T's! We've put all this work in mechanically its time for personal expression everyone can buy the same parts but in the end we can all line our bikes up side by side with our engines turned off and its the same fucking bike! This is by far the best forum I'm apart of and eveyone who is part of it is treated like family! But at the same time everyone needs to step up there game! Its one thing to be restricted by what America allows us to have so were always going to be a step behind Europe - so with that said we should be taking our bikes to the extremes! Don't get me wrong our bikes look fine just the way they are - infact I get plenty of compliments as is - and another thing from the outside what's the real change from an 06 to a 09 - silver rims and new decals - ok so its a piaggio ! Sue me!

veloracermike
08-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Here's the deal, if it were me I'd have it done professionally, I'm a perfectionist, I like things to just so. Hell my race cars had beautiful paint jobs, if my bike had orange peal and dirt in the paint it would drive me ape shit. You sound like you might be the same...so don't do a half assed job and then hate it. Do it right once.

Phoumistyles
08-25-2008, 11:56 PM
ok veloracermike... i dont know if you have used duplicolor in a can b4 but it is a very good paint. almost as good as real car paint. you can wetsand this paint with 2000 grit and it will make it smoother and take out any orange peel if any occurs. duplicolor paint is not cheap paid 11 dollars per can. and it has a great nozzle on it that sprays evenly unlike other cheap paint ($1 a can) you can do a great job using this paint if you know what you are doing. i highly recommend this paint to anyone that wants a good paint job. i def didnt do a half assed job. it took me 6 days to fix the body work and paint it all. if you dont have to do any body work at all it then you can paint it all in one full day (12 hours).

heres a few pics to show you close up of how my scoot looks after painting it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/phoumistyles/Picture004.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/phoumistyles/Picture005.jpg

if u want me to take a few more pics i will to show you what you can do with a "rattle can"
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/phoumistyles/Picture003.jpg

veloracermike
08-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Phoumistyles, I haven't used Duplicolor, however no rattle can will look as good as a professional spray gun and booth. I'm just saying that if the OP has certain expectations they may not be realized with a rattle can. Here is a pic of my last race car that I shot. There is a level of gloss that just can't be achieved with a spray can.

Phoumistyles
08-26-2008, 12:17 AM
yea i understand what you are saying mike. im thinking about getting my friend to spray a coat of gloss with a real gun. the gloss does have a good shine but its not as good as the real thing. but the duplicolor works really good for the price it cost me. everyone that seen my paint job thought it was sprayed by a professional so that in itself tells me its a good paint.

veloracermike
08-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Your bike looks great, no doubt, I think that is about the best spray can job I've ever seen. I think the fact that you spent so much time on it is about 75% of the result.

Phoumistyles
08-26-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks Mike.. and i agree with you there if i had just sprayed it all without wet-sanding in between coats it wouldnt have come out smooth. you should try out that duplicolor paint on something small and you will see that it is a quality paint in a can. it is normally used to cover small areas on a car to match the paint. im not 100% sure about this but someone told me that it is actually car paint but inside of a can.