PDA

View Full Version : SR still plagued with problems, warrantee expires next week... advice?

urameatball
08-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Bought my SR new from the dealership 11.5months ago. Worked well for about a week then the problems starting building.
It's been in the shop 12 times since then. Motor still cuts out at full throttle, still hasn't hit the top speed I achieved during break-in, and my friend's BW with pipe AND PASSENGER still beats me in a drag race.

I'm sending it back in YET AGAIN for warrantee service, replacing fuel pump and injector.

What if that doesn't solve the problem and I'm stuck with a defective bike? What are my options? I can't even sell the thing cuz the scooter is just RETARDED>>>

On the bright side, I use to work in a motorcycle shop and know a lot of people in the industry, and a lot of riders as well. Many of them have heard my horror story and wouldn't even think about buying an Aprilia anymore. I'm not exactly hurting for money so if I'm stuck with the bike, I can just spread the word about my horrible experience and be happy setting my SR50 on fire and throwing it off a cliff. (we'll leave that as a last resort)

Snugg
08-19-2008, 03:21 PM
The cutting out at WOT is S.L.O.P. and a known issue. There are multiple things that relate to this problem. Nobody has really pin-pointed what actualy causes it. With some, a simple change of spark plug works... other a certain exhaust depending on their location, bbk's, reedcages... Some things work on eliminating SLOP some things don't.
I'm sorry, I don't know your history and what you have tried with the bike.
What has been done to the scooter to try and remedy it?
I'm not bashing dealerships, but all they are going to do is look at what is currently on the scooter and replace components with the same part numbers.

High Gain Tuning
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
There is obviousely a problem with the shop your taking it to.

Don't you have the lemon law there... Three strikes and your out!

As a GM field engineer, many times I didn't get a chance to review a case until after it was bought back and found things as simple as a loose ground cable.

In 11.5 months, they could have removed the seat and installed a new scooter under it by now.

Excersize your legal rights.

This comes to mind... How strong are you?

http://www.discounttire.com/thankYou.mpg

TiminIndy
08-19-2008, 04:13 PM
I would think if the problems started when the warranty was in effect, they would be obligated to fix them even if they didn't get it fixed before the 12 months was up.

muchacho
08-19-2008, 05:12 PM
You have to take into the shop - talk to the owner (Chaplick) and leave it there until it comes out running to your satisfaction.

I think you still have my PM - give me a call and I can give you some advice.

Snugg
08-19-2008, 05:26 PM
You know, these are some good points.
If they can't fix it and you still have the warranty.... it is their problem. They HAVE to fix it.

This sucks that you are having such a pain in the ass time.

Ableto
08-19-2008, 06:52 PM
I know that here in Washington state the lemon law only works for vehicals that have more than 750cc. Any thing lower is SOL.

Mr. Scootswell
08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
My dealer told me that a certain map was cutting out a WOT so they
discontinued use of it.

06spidey2
08-19-2008, 09:07 PM
The place I bought my scoot from is a high end motorbike shop. They would not of sold me the scoot, nor let it leave the shop, if it wasn't it optimum running condition. They have a very high reputation & would not jeopardize their integrity by shoving motorcycles, or scoots, out the door for a buck or the volume. The whole staff are riders, and have a full plethora of knowledge when it comes to 50cc scoots, up to Tuono's, RSVR's, Shivers, Quivers, & the rest of the pack. I look back at my original purchase notes (I bugged every dealer within 5hrs driving distance, and talked with a bunch of good knowledgeable people, but when it came to comfort, only a few choices remained), and only one talked about all the performance things that they can get, etc, it was the Polini kit, with adjustable bowl springs, and the Malossi kit w/ecu, but blah blah blah tc, and you can use your blah blah blah original ecu(as I'm thinking to myself, why is he talking about all this stuff), blah blah.. so a dash warning won't appear. It took 5,000 plus miles, numerous thread readings & discussions, and I NOW realize what the frick he was talking about. Oh yea, forgot to tell you, bought the scoot on a credit card, and they knew damn well I would of challenged it if things went sour.

My advice: Stay on them, get it running correct, and get a Metric tool kit(ball end allens, long allens, socket, impact driver). We can teach you the rest.:burnout:

muchacho
08-22-2008, 09:56 AM
The place I bought my scoot from is a high end motorbike shop. They would not of sold me the scoot, nor let it leave the shop, if it wasn't it optimum running condition. They have a very high reputation & would not jeopardize their integrity by shoving motorcycles, or scoots, out the door for a buck or the volume. The whole staff are riders, and have a full plethora of knowledge when it comes to 50cc scoots, up to Tuono's, RSVR's, Shivers, Quivers, & the rest of the pack. I look back at my original purchase notes (I bugged every dealer within 5hrs driving distance, and talked with a bunch of good knowledgeable people, but when it came to comfort, only a few choices remained), and only one talked about all the performance things that they can get, etc, it was the Polini kit, with adjustable bowl springs, and the Malossi kit w/ecu, but blah blah blah tc, and you can use your blah blah blah original ecu(as I'm thinking to myself, why is he talking about all this stuff), blah blah.. so a dash warning won't appear. It took 5,000 plus miles, numerous thread readings & discussions, and I NOW realize what the frick he was talking about. Oh yea, forgot to tell you, bought the scoot on a credit card, and they knew damn well I would of challenged it if things went sour.

My advice: Stay on them, get it running correct, and get a Metric tool kit(ball end allens, long allens, socket, impact driver). We can teach you the rest.:burnout:
What is the name of this dealership?

06spidey2
08-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Scuderia West in San Francisco, CA www.scuderiawest.com