PDA

View Full Version : RPM Lights?

rwp42
08-18-2008, 01:12 PM
The manual does not clearly explain what the three amber and one red RPM lights are for... I am guessing that they tell you roughly what RPM range you are in when using Sport-Drive mode, so you know if you are getting near the top (or bottom) ends to shift? Can someone please elaborate?

RwP

pete roper
08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
They are basically a poor man's tachometer. They only work in 'Sport Gear' according to the manual. Twist the go handle and when the red one comes on hit the button to 'Change' up a 'Gear'. In the lower ranges you need to make sure you hit it quick-smart or you start bouncing it off the rev limiter!!!!! Guess how I found that out???

Pete

rwp42
08-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Thank you for the reply. Is it "better" to try to upshift on the 3rd light, or is it okay to wait until the red comes on?

RwP

pete roper
08-18-2008, 10:54 PM
The rev limiter will save the motor if you over-rev it but its not something I'd recommend hitting too often. I'd learn to judge how long you can leave it before you light the red and then hit it just before you get there. All fairly accademic to me as I find Touring mode ample for just about all my needs. If I want to behave like a psychotic crack-head I take the Griso out!

Pete

rwp42
08-21-2008, 09:51 AM
So I tried playing with the manual shift mode... got up to 30MPH in first gear and still didn't see the first amber light. I got worried that I was going to overrev the engine, so shifted to second. Was I being too cautious, or are my lights not working?

RwP

tha-mask
08-22-2008, 03:30 AM
yeah, it does rev quite high before the lights start to come on. I tried the same thing.

rwp42
08-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Can you tell me roughly what speed you were going in first gear when you saw the first amber light come on?

RwP

pete roper
08-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Can you tell me roughly what speed you were going in first gear when you saw the first amber light come on?

RwP

I experimented yesterday. I was surprised, it wound out to about 70KPH before the lights started showing! That's about 40MPH in your weird money:happy:

Pete

rwp42
08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Krikey! Thanks a lot for the data point, Pete. I'll try pushing closer to 40MPH and see if mine start showing. Those are some tall 'gears'. ;-)

RwP

rwp42
08-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Well, I had an opportunity to play with the sport mode this afternoon. The first amber light indeed illuminated at around 40MPH! When I shifted into second at that point, the bike surged forward with a lot of power. It likes being in the amber! ;-)

Thanks to all who helped solve the mystery.

RwP

Fox Fader
08-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Looking forward to getting mine.