PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a solution

Ableto
08-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Im getting mad about the place working on my scooter, they take a long time just to get to scooters that need repair unless its on their schedual list. They fixed the fuel pump, but they broke something in the process and im getting pissed that its probably going to take another month just for them to fix the problem.

Ok i would like to know if someone else has had this problems so i can recomend to them what it might be.

The new fuel pump is in, no air bubbles. The scooter runs fine up to the point it warms up and then the throttle just loses power as in you goto throttle and it goes from 2000rpm to 1000rpm.

What i want to know is what could cause this. The scooter dont shut down from the lack of fuel, it just doesnt want to go, it just drops rpm.

Could they of broke a seal somewhere? Maybe some screws came loose on something? Could something be in the exaust pipe that could cause this kind of loss in power when it warms up?

Please help so i can tell them something so i can get my scooter back faster.

High Gain Tuning
08-16-2008, 02:20 AM
What's the shops name and number?
Who is working on it?

rainald
08-16-2008, 02:20 AM
To check it open the cap to the fuel tank so that air can come in. You don't have to remove the cap all the way just enough so that air can move in. start engine and drive around. If that fixes your problem then you need to find the breather tube and see if it has a kink in it.

benzina
08-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Another suggestion.....Check and clean the 'pressure regulator bowl' of the injector. 3 tourx screw bowl,just under the green bit on the injector.
Just 3-4 drops of milky sludge will cause your symptoms. These symtoms happened to me once,because i experimented and changed my oil brand,and tried even higher octain fuel,and i'm not sure which one,or perhaps both combined caused this,but i effectively changed the chemistry that had treated me so well,for so long, and i paid the price. But once cleaned,she was back to normal immediately,and i went back to my trusted Castrol TTS,and 95ron fuel,and it's never ever,happened again.

muchacho
08-16-2008, 06:44 AM
I would suggest you return the bike. Then they can take as long as they need to to find the problem and you can find a better dealer and start riding your bike before summer ends.

LKB3rd
08-16-2008, 08:12 AM
I would suggest you return the bike. Then they can take as long as they need to to find the problem and you can find a better dealer and start riding your bike before summer ends.
I tried this route with my dealer. They won't take it back and replace it on their own because "then they would be stuck with a used bike, and Aprilia might not replace it." I told them that the situation as it stands is that the guy who bought it has a used bike that that he bought as brand new, full price, that doesn't work right. He didn't budge.
Aprilia says that they will not do anything until the bike is at an approved dealership with one of their techs looking at it, and that the warranty is in place to deal with this type of thing. TJ at customer service told me she wasn't sure about the laws in my state, and I told her it made me nervous to hear her bringing up the laws, when it could and should, in my opinion, be a matter of acting in good faith to make sure I have what I bought, a properly functioning scooter. Didn't get very far with that line of reasoning.
I called Steve at AF1 and he was nice enough to listen to the whole sad story, and he recommended taking it to a different dealer, even if that meant driving further, which is an hour in my case. That dealer has no appointments open until september 5 lol :(
So, maybe your dealer is better than mine at taking ownership of problems, but Aprilia doesn't seem to be willing to go the extra mile to do that either.
Give it a shot, but don't get your hopes up guess is what I am saying.

muchacho
08-16-2008, 08:59 AM
I tried this route with my dealer. They won't take it back and replace it on their own because "then they would be stuck with a used bike, and Aprilia might not replace it." I told them that the situation as it stands is that the guy who bought it has a used bike that that he bought as brand new, full price, that doesn't work right. He didn't budge.
Aprilia says that they will not do anything until the bike is at an approved dealership with one of their techs looking at it, and that the warranty is in place to deal with this type of thing. TJ at customer service told me she wasn't sure about the laws in my state, and I told her it made me nervous to hear her bringing up the laws, when it could and should, in my opinion, be a matter of acting in good faith to make sure I have what I bought, a properly functioning scooter. Didn't get very far with that line of reasoning.
I called Steve at AF1 and he was nice enough to listen to the whole sad story, and he recommended taking it to a different dealer, even if that meant driving further, which is an hour in my case. That dealer has no appointments open until september 5 lol :(
So, maybe your dealer is better than mine at taking ownership of problems, but Aprilia doesn't seem to be willing to go the extra mile to do that either.
Give it a shot, but don't get your hopes up guess is what I am saying.

It's just unbelieveable! You go in to buy a new bike, right away you have to repair it - does that sound right?

So I guess you did not make the purchase with the credit card?

blue rocket
08-16-2008, 09:03 AM
im going to pick my bike up today, if there are any more issues, i'm dropping it off at the dealership and disputing the charge on my CC.

I sure hope it runs well now, but we'll see. ::fingers crossed::

Len, if you ever want to take the bike to my place we can take a good look at it and see if it's anything we can solves ourselves! :bangwall:

Ableto
08-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Another suggestion.....Check and clean the 'pressure regulator bowl' of the injector. 3 tourx screw bowl,just under the green bit on the injector.
Just 3-4 drops of milky sludge will cause your symptoms. These symtoms happened to me once,because i experimented and changed my oil brand,and tried even higher octain fuel,and i'm not sure which one,or perhaps both combined caused this,but i effectively changed the chemistry that had treated me so well,for so long, and i paid the price. But once cleaned,she was back to normal immediately,and i went back to my trusted Castrol TTS,and 95ron fuel,and it's never ever,happened again.

I dont think its the milky white liquid problem since that would say it would be having the problem right from startup. I think its a kink in the breather hose like rainld says, i think wtb said it might be it also. The scooter runs fine when cold and for about 10 mins, but after a wile it boggs down but the engine dont shut off from bad gunk it still runs just like its not getting all the gas it needs when i throttle. Later if i leave it alone, as in turn off the scooter for a few mins, it starts working again.

So im going to go ask them to see if they kinked a hose. Or see if they didnt put it back on right i will give them a copy of the diagram just to rub it in their face.

High Gain Tuning
08-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Ableto

Who is working on it?

Ableto
08-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Ableto

Who is working on it?

I would like to give the name and number for the shop and the name of the mechanic. But if i give you the info and you call they might just refuse me service, and i dont want that. They are going to fix the problem today because it was a problem they caused when putting in the fuelpump.

After i get my scooter i will check things myself before going back. But the good thing is they are getting a 3rd mechanic in this week and they are going to get all their remaining repair jobs dont hopefully by friday.

Hey i can wait a few more days for a job that wont cost me for the repair.

High Gain Tuning
08-16-2008, 01:34 PM
I would like to give the name and number for the shop and the name of the mechanic. But if i give you the info and you call they might just refuse me service, and i dont want that. They are going to fix the problem today because it was a problem they caused when putting in the fuelpump.

After i get my scooter i will check things myself before going back. But the good thing is they are getting a 3rd mechanic in this week and they are going to get all their remaining repair jobs dont hopefully by friday.

Hey i can wait a few more days for a job that wont cost me for the repair.

Ableto

Is that really the reason why you will not give the name or number of the shop?

Ableto
08-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Ableto

Is that really the reason why you will not give the name or number of the shop?

For right now yes, because i dont know what you might say to them.

By you asking for the name of the shop and mechanic makes me feel your going to call up and chew them out for not repairing my scoot faster. I dont need them to chose not to repair my scoot at this time when they are going to fix their mistake.

After i get my scooter back i will give you all the info.

OK?

I know they took a long time to fix it, but now that they got more mechanics in they will get their long list of things out of the way.

I know i should be the most pissed off person since its my scooter, but as long as im not paying for the repairs im a happy camper. So im getting my scooter back ether later today or next tuesday.

LKB3rd
08-16-2008, 03:53 PM
I know the feeling. I had to take deep breaths before I called, and bite my tongue a few times, because they act like they hate working on this scooter in the first place. It was a thin line to walk between telling them that I expect them to actually fix the problems, promptly, without coming off too harsh and having to deal with them hating me AND my scooter, which is a worse situation to be in. It's like you are at their mercy until you get it back working right. It sucks.

Ableto
08-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I know the feeling. I had to take deep breaths before I called, and bite my tongue a few times, because they act like they hate working on this scooter in the first place. It was a thin line to walk between telling them that I expect them to actually fix the problems, promptly, without coming off too harsh and having to deal with them hating me AND my scooter, which is a worse situation to be in. It's like you are at their mercy until you get it back working right. It sucks.

For me i find that talking to the staff at any store in a angry manner just makes it harder for them to help you in the future and it might make them leave a surprise for you you might not like.

For others in my situation would of blown a blood vein waiting as long as i have or ripped off someones arm. I just look at it this way, i missed out on a month of scooting around, and it cost me nothing for the repair. They got the headache for having the scooter in their showroom waiting to be fixed the whole time with ppl flashing credit cards at them saying they want to buy it but cant till september.

So being angry all the time about some things is not good for them and especialy not for you.

veloracermike
08-16-2008, 04:23 PM
For me i find that talking to the staff at any store in a angry manner just makes it harder for them to help you in the future and it might make them leave a surprise for you you might not like.

For others in my situation would of blown a blood vein waiting as long as i have or ripped off someones arm. I just look at it this way, i missed out on a month of scooting around, and it cost me nothing for the repair. They got the headache for having the scooter in their showroom waiting to be fixed the whole time with ppl flashing credit cards at them saying they want to buy it but cant till september.

So being angry all the time about some things is not good for them and especialy not for you.

Well I tend to agree with you but there is a point that getting aggressive is the only solution. For some who have bought '09's and are getting treated badly I would lean toward the aggressive side. There comes a point when it goes from someone making a mistake to bad customer service. Once that line is crossed then the gloves come off. If I had plunked down the over 4k the three dealers were asking for the 09's I was interested in and those bikes didn't perform flawlessly I would have demanded either a refund or to be put at the head of line for repairs. It's unacceptable for a shop to say "we are booked up for three weeks for repairs' when you have a brand new bike that isn't running properly. At some point you've got to take a stand or they will always treat you like a redheaded stepchild.

Ableto
08-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Well I tend to agree with you but there is a point that getting aggressive is the only solution. For some who have bought '09's and are getting treated badly I would lean toward the aggressive side. There comes a point when it goes from someone making a mistake to bad customer service. Once that line is crossed then the gloves come off. If I had plunked down the over 4k the three dealers were asking for the 09's I was interested in and those bikes didn't perform flawlessly I would have demanded either a refund or to be put at the head of line for repairs. It's unacceptable for a shop to say "we are booked up for three weeks for repairs' when you have a brand new bike that isn't running properly. At some point you've got to take a stand or they will always treat you like a redheaded stepchild.

For me i got time, Im paying off the scooter so i got room to negotiate. They only had one mechanic at the time, now they got 3. Ether way the scooter is going to get worked on and fixed. I like one of the new guys they got in. He is nice willing to help right away. The main mechanic is kinda grumpy, but working working as the only master mechanic for over a year can make anyone grumpy.

I could of asked for a new scooter, but i want the SR50...Not a vespa, or a piaggio, or a kymico. And if i had to exchange the SR50 i would of had to wait till september when they get more in, and if it did come it it might have the same problem. So I chose to wait for them to fix it. And i think i have annoyed them enough to have them work on my scoot a little faster so they dont have to see me anytime soon after.

Warrenty is paying for the repairs so ether way i just lose some scoot riding time. I plan on riding this scoot alot most of the year, not just summertime so i will get my monies worth out of it.

Now if it was a brand new car, then i would rip them a new one because i know they would of had enough mechanics to work on the problem.

High Gain Tuning
08-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Well...

There's only 1 Dealer in Tacoma

NW MOTOR SCOOTERS
5428 SOUTH TACOMA WAY
TACOMA, WA 98409
PHONE: (253) 565-1117

I know a guy at Cycle Works in the Renton store.... Just interested.

Ableto
08-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Well...

There's only 1 Dealer in Tacoma

NW MOTOR SCOOTERS
5428 SOUTH TACOMA WAY
TACOMA, WA 98409
PHONE: (253) 565-1117

I know a guy at Cycle Works in the Renton store.... Just interested.

See Tacoma is a wasteland when it comes to official dealers. And me not being able to take it to Cycle Works kinda leaves me in a tuff spot till more dealers come in.

In the future when i have to get a new car(wich might be in the next 2 years) I will make sure its a truck that can have a scooter rack put on to take the scooter where ever i want.

Or if i ask an old friend that just moved into a house down the street to transport my scoot to where ever i need to go farther distances for repairs. I cant properly transport my scooter in a station wagon.

But the scooter shop (NM Motor Scooters) got more mechanics so i feel they will get caught up and ppl will not have to wait for repairs. And they will get lots of business since many ppl are buying scooters here.

I have been to Cycle Works once and it was cool. Noticed they had a SR50 on display outside last time i went past there when having lunch with relitives a few saturdays back.

06spidey2
08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Pick up a "Hitchhaul" rack for your trailer hitch, and ANY vehicle can safely transport a scoot. My scoot goes 75mph on Interstate 5, but of course, its strapped on the rack behind my truck.

Ableto
08-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Pick up a "Hitchhaul" rack for your trailer hitch, and ANY vehicle can safely transport a scoot. My scoot goes 75mph on Interstate 5, but of course, its strapped on the rack behind my truck.

Wish i had a trailer hitch to put one on. My dads truck dont even have one.

blue rocket
08-17-2008, 08:05 AM

well, i picked my bike up yesterday, drove it around the block...it felt "ok". Then right before im ready to load it into the truck i decided i better look at the fuel pump...oh yeah, it's pouring out gas!!

At that point i was so upset i walked into service and was like i have pretty much had it with this bike, always an issue, you call me and say it's fixed and its leaking fuel worse than when i brought it in. I said i will not come back for it again, so either fix it right now or i want my money back.

The service guy goes on to say that Jason is on vacation blah blah blah, i'm like you look at it and fix it. Then i decided, screw it, i want to talk to the owner. The owner personally went back to find out what the issue was, it was another faulty fuel pump with a slice in the O-Ring or something. Thankfully they had more fuel pumps in stock, and they replaced it right then and there. The owner also opened up the soda machine for me, gave my gf a free soda and offered me a big ass beer. It was like 11:30am so i didnt cave in and start drinking. :)

Anyway, i can say right now that the fuel pump looks good and the oil leak is also fixed (what i brought the bike in for), but it still stutters as usual. They did install an insulated compressor line as recommended by Aprilia, but that didnt do anything. I'm going to try to change the oil to Castrol TTS, change the plug one more time and hope she runs a little better.

Point is, if you are getting jerked around, talk to the owner and be very forward with him, hopefully you'll get taken care of.

LKB3rd
08-17-2008, 08:18 AM
well, i picked my bike up yesterday, drove it around the block...it felt "ok". Then right before im ready to load it into the truck i decided i better look at the fuel pump...oh yeah, it's pouring out gas!!

At that point i was so upset i walked into service and was like i have pretty much had it with this bike, always an issue, you call me and say it's fixed and its leaking fuel worse than when i brought it in. I said i will not come back for it again, so either fix it right now or i want my money back.

The service guy goes on to say that Jason is on vacation blah blah blah, i'm like you look at it and fix it. Then i decided, screw it, i want to talk to the owner. The owner personally went back to find out what the issue was, it was another faulty fuel pump with a slice in the O-Ring or something. Thankfully they had more fuel pumps in stock, and they replaced it right then and there. The owner also opened up the soda machine for me, gave my gf a free soda and offered me a big ass beer. It was like 11:30am so i didnt cave in and start drinking. :)

Anyway, i can say right now that the fuel pump looks good and the oil leak is also fixed (what i brought the bike in for), but it still stutters as usual. They did install an insulated compressor line as recommended by Aprilia, but that didnt do anything. I'm going to try to change the oil to Castrol TTS, change the plug one more time and hope she runs a little better.

Point is, if you are getting jerked around, talk to the owner and be very forward with him, hopefully you'll get taken care of.
You'd think they would have noticed that the new one was faulty before calling you. In my estimation, you might consider it a good thing when Jason is on vacation. He's the one who worked on my scoot twice.
I am wondering if he is the new guy who they make work on scooters to learn, before they let him fix motorcycles. His nickname is "Junior."
Anyway, I hope you get it sorted out, and glad to hear it is out of the shop of doom.
I still find it hard to believe that they sent it back out still sputtering(from my experience there, I should probably be surprised when they do something right). "The VIN number is wrong for the ecu mapping that Aprilia gave for Len's scoot." Well Jesus F-ing Christ, find an ecu mapping that will work. No, they just kick it back out the door, and hope you don't complain :(

muchacho
08-17-2008, 08:57 AM

Being totally honest - the stuttering is not normal operation for a new bike. You need to get that fixed.

I think you did the right thing and made the right threat. Now, for your stuttering problem.

benzina
08-17-2008, 09:20 AM
The combination of the following working together,completely vanquished my original mid-range sputters,and also proved bullet proof to continued flawless running over the long term to....
(1) Oil - Castrol TTS Fully Synthetic
(2)Spark Plug - NGK ZMR7AP - Indexed precisely at 12 o,clock,so that the ground electrode fully shields the center electrode from the spray of the injector above.
(3)Spark Plug gap - Piaggio recommended .6mm
(4)Fuel - Premium 95ron.

NOTE No water trap fitted,or ever needed.