PDA

View Full Version : Performance Upgrades - 2007 RS50

sempire
08-11-2008, 07:54 AM
If money wasn't an issue, and I wanted to get much better performance, while keeping it reliable as possible, what would you recommend?

Basically buying and fitting every single thing that I could possibly buy and stick on to do it right from the get go.

I wouldn't mind buying a spare engine, and just building everything on top of that and then doing a swap.

-CON-
02-24-2009, 01:32 AM
That is my question too!!

williamr
02-24-2009, 03:46 AM
You end up with a load of parts that don't work well together. The key to 2-stroke tuning is port work and work on the crankcase to reduce volume and increase crankcase compression, followed by work on the head to optimise squish and raise primary compression.

Before doing this the bottom end should be blueprinted with all potential stress points removed.

You then need a tuned expansion chamber, bigger carb, and more aggressive ignition timimg. Carb jets must then be selected to suit that set up. Reeds may need replacing. Reed cage should be replaced or opened out as part of the port work. With the raised compression and revised timing the motor will need 100 or 110 octane fuel.

Buying bits and bolting them on isn't tuning and tends to give disappointing results.

Personally, if I wanted that level of performance I'd just get a bigger bike.

I don't mention BBKs because that's defeating the idea of getting as much as you can out of a 50. Again, if you go for a BBK you might just as well buy a bigger bike to start with.

Rob

-CON-
02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
You end up with a load of parts that don't work well together. The key to 2-stroke tuning is port work and work on the crankcase to reduce volume and increase crankcase compression, followed by work on the head to optimise squish and raise primary compression.

Before doing this the bottom end should be blueprinted with all potential stress points removed.

You then need a tuned expansion chamber, bigger carb, and more aggressive ignition timimg. Carb jets must then be selected to suit that set up. Reeds may need replacing. Reed cage should be replaced or opened out as part of the port work. With the raised compression and revised timing the motor will need 100 or 110 octane fuel.

Buying bits and bolting them on isn't tuning and tends to give disappointing results.

Personally, if I wanted that level of performance I'd just get a bigger bike.

I don't mention BBKs because that's defeating the idea of getting as much as you can out of a 50. Again, if you go for a BBK you might just as well buy a bigger bike to start with.

Rob

What do you mean by > (reduce volume and increase crankcase compression) and how can you do this ? Also > (Reed cage should be replaced or opened out as part of the port work), open??

I'd probably get 80cc kit, of coarse I would port it and do all the finish work. But which one would be more better aluminum or cast iron?

46robbie46
02-25-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd love to do a 50cc all out tuning job, now that i legally can ride one on the road (LOL). But the i think, whats the point, i'll just buy a bigger bike! Then i could tune that up a bit and i hopefully wont have to worry about it blowing up etc.

-CON-
02-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't know what kind of law you guys live under but here in Canada I can do whatever I want to the bike as long as I don't get caught ! Eh! How may cops know what the cc is on the actual bike or how fast does it go? Just don't ride like an idiot when not a appropriate time and things are alright here! All though I don't know what's the consequences when they do catch you.

But insurance on the 125cc is let see to, around 5 to 6 times more $!! I would other spend my money building a top end 50cc than riding a bigger displacement moto.

-CON-
02-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Ow! please ! Tall me you never break a traffic law! Every one does it or did it! Got away with that! Not a big deal! As long as nobody got heard! So no need to be sarcastic.
My point was > when I used to live in Europe in some areas you have to go through an inspection with a vehicle every year in order to drive/ride on the road legally, now I don't know what kind of policies are in your area but in my area only one inspection require, when you bought it and want to register. So I could do mods after I register. Is it over the rules? Yes! But only me who knows about it. It is not like they gonna open my engine and gonna measure it. All mopeds displacement no more than 50cc and speed no more than 50km. I assume it is the same in your area. And if are caught will be issued to register under different regulation + the ticket

So are there any people that can advise me on the kit / mods? I wanna go as fast as possible while still have OK drive ability in the city at lower RPM or low speed! I'm comfortable with porting or any mechanical as long as I know what needs to be done and how it needs to be done. I can say I know shit about cars and rotary engines but not much on how to make a good power on the 2-stroke or what their limits and problems are. But one thing I do know that shit could be done !

Could that be OK for the street ? > http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24248

So don't be shy let me hear you!

Thanks guys/mates !

banzairx7
02-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Get a bigger carb, pipe and big bore kit. If its anything like the older RS50 the bike will completely transform. Our 04 RS50 was like riding a glorified moped. With those mods it actually feels like a motorcycle now. On the AM6 motor you basically double the power with those mods.

I would PM Steve from AF1. he has like three Derbi 50's(same motor as the new Aprilia RS50) and has modded them to hell. He should be able to give some solid advice on what works and what the limits of the engine is.

-CON-
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks !!

Carbon-Me1
02-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Stick an RS250 engine in it!

-CON-
02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
I would if I had one !