PDA

View Full Version : Chain Wax

ajrhythm
08-11-2008, 04:48 AM
hey guys. just got a question about chain wax.

ive got the good stuff (castrol chain wax), and i dont really have any idea when to put it on my bike. i mean do i put it on after every little ride in the rain? or what if ive left it out in the light rain for say about an hour while im in the gym or w.e?

also, how am i supposed to apply it, because unlike a scooter i cant stick it upright on a stand. since its got a side stand i need to do it some other way????

cheers, Aj

Royzx
08-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Just apply it every so often, just put a jack under the expansion chamber of the bike and higher it up till you can spin the back wheel freely spraying it on the chain whilst spinning the back wheel.

Hope it helps :]

ajrhythm
08-11-2008, 10:58 AM
expansion chamber? but yeah helpful thanks

rs50 '03 steve
08-11-2008, 11:29 AM
get a paddock stand and is your stuff a spray of a gel type stuff.
paddock stand for me was 20 posted on ebay so its worth it.

bourney2007
08-11-2008, 03:33 PM
paddock stand for me was free :D Dads mate give it me.

As said get some spray stuff, much easier. You don't have to get a paddock stand though. Just get a spray bottle and get someone to slowly push your bike forward while you spray the grease on the chain.

Really it should be done every few days, you'll be amazed how much dirt they can pick up.

rs50 '03 steve
08-11-2008, 04:10 PM
or just push it sideways so it leans onto the stand until the back wheel comes up.

Royzx
08-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Expansion chamber is the large bit of the exhaust underneath the bike, it's what I did because I had a jack lying about in the garage and i didnt think it would be worth buying a paddock stand:p

bourney2007
08-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Expansion chamber is the large bit of the exhaust underneath the bike, it's what I did because I had a jack lying about in the garage and i didnt think it would be worth buying a paddock stand:p

I wouldn't dare jack my bike on my expansion chamber, it's extremly rusty. I painted it black (partly so it looked better and partly to prevent it from more rust) and i didn't even sand it down i was that scared i was i just going to sand a whole in it.
I wouldn't advice jacking it on the expansion chamber, i'd prefer to jack it on the frame but i have seen it done on the expansion chamber and all was good.

ajrhythm
08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
i'll probs try something with a jack i think.... ne more ideas on when to do it?

bourney2007
08-12-2008, 01:33 PM
i'll probs try something with a jack i think.... ne more ideas on when to do it?

every few days mate.

ajrhythm
08-12-2008, 01:42 PM
does that include days even if it doesnt rain? or do ya mean 3 days of rain mate

rs50 '03 steve
08-12-2008, 01:56 PM
i wud say on a small bike like this adjust and lube every 2-3 weeks or so. i dont do mine that often but tbh it doesnt get that bad, even tho i need a new chain its over 7 months old now and havnt had problems with it:P

tomorrow it will snap or something now iv said that

RiejuR51
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
god, dont jack up the bike on teh expansion chamber! You risk squashing it, youre bike is gonna suck if you try riding it after that, ruins the scavenging effect the spannie will have on the engine lol buy a paddock stand, you wont need to buy a new spannie then.

God you boys need to learn some decent maintainence! So much has changed since i rode my 50!