PDA

View Full Version : Tips and general help?

Dan92
08-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi there guys,

I'm Dan, just turned 16 last week and have just paid the deposit for a 2005, 7k mileage RS50. I've been interested for a little bit and I know a little bit about the bike and in general, motorcycles... but I was wondering if I could get a little more help. I'm really interested in learning what makes them work and in more detail, what I can do to help keep it running with no faults, and tune it as much as possible.

Is there a guide around that can tell me what different parts of the bike are? It just seems a little daunting because I haven't really ridden properly and I'm interested to learn all the different parts and what part of it does what. I know some of the basics, but it would be cool if you could help out.

About general maintenance - changing oil and stuff is an obvious winner but, are there any other things I should be doing when I get the bike? I've heard about lubricating the chain / sprocket but I'm unsure of how to do this.

Just asking for some help for an interested bloke.

Thanks,
Dan

EDIT: I've just checked out the FAQ and there seems to be a lot of information there. Sorry for not checking the stickies!

Dan92
08-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Found a link in the FAQ for a 2004 model, I'm assuming the differences are minor between the 04 and 05 model.

I'll get reading, cheers

Cypher
08-10-2008, 06:49 AM
As far as im aware, the 04 & 05 model are exactly the same, just different fairing colors. i had an 05' model, and everyting ive seen 04' wise has fitted my model. Hoever dont take my word for it. Welcome to the forums btw, please keep spam and cussing to a minimum. It keeps the air friendly. Sorry i cant help anymore than that. i dont really know of any 'guides' as such to teach you about the bike. Although i would 100% reccomend getting a Aprilia RS50 Haynes Manual for ur model off of Ebay, they are extremely helpful!

Welcome and good luck, when you get ur RS take piccys and post em up dude!

Dan92
08-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the help.

I should be gettign the bike on the 6th september. How many of you guys had proper lessons beforehand or had previous experience? This will be my first bike and I don't have any REAL experience. Do you think I should take lessons or will I be taken through how to ride on the CBT?

Is there anyoen else who was in the same position as me?

Thanks.

EDIT: Do you guys think that I should take my CBT on the company's T&G bike or learn to ride on the RS50?

Thanks again for the info.

mx50boy
08-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the help.

I should be gettign the bike on the 6th september. How many of you guys had proper lessons beforehand or had previous experience? This will be my first bike and I don't have any REAL experience. Do you think I should take lessons or will I be taken through how to ride on the CBT?

Is there anyoen else who was in the same position as me?

Thanks.

EDIT: Do you guys think that I should take my CBT on the company's T&G bike or learn to ride on the RS50?

Thanks again for the info.

i wouldnt bother with lessons, its easy to get the basics of riding just by practicing around your garden or somewhere out the way. once bike is running, pull clutch in and push the gear lever down for 1st, give it a few revs and slowly let clutch out. Keep doings this till you get the hang of it then try changing into 2nd

id do your CBT on their t&g peds as its easy, dont have to worry about petrol/oil and it doesnt matter so much if you come off.

rs50 '03 steve
08-10-2008, 03:20 PM
keep it running with no faults, and tune it as much as possible.
dont often here of that one an aprilia forum sorry.
welcome by the way.
if you want information on this bike then a haynes manual will be super.
this forum is also very very helpful so stick around.
oh yeh and i was like, you, i had no experience what so ever with bikes, bar a twist and go 4 stroke 50cc on a small dead end street.
just do what was said earlyer, practice in your garden and then when you do get on the road it will come to you pretty fast.
also do u cbt on there bike not your own

Dan92
08-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'm gonna do the CBT on one of their T&G peds and just learn to ride the RS50 in some parking lots around the area. There's a good couple around, big sainsbury and I don't live too far away from thorpe park.

hehe, cheers for the welcome steve, i hope to stick around too

bourney2007
08-10-2008, 04:05 PM
to keep it running with no faults (or very little) keep it restricted.
The more you tune your engine the more un-reliable it becomes.

As far as maintenance goes use good quality 2-stroke oil (silkolene or castrol etc.). Check the brake pads every month or so, check all your lights work, check your brakes work (making sure the lever is very hard and dosn't touch the handle bar, if it does then bleed the brakes). just basic things like that really.

Don't worry about changing the oil, the dealer should do that before it leaves the showroom.

As far as tuning it goes it all depends on how much wedge you have.
Personally i wouldn't go the whole hog and get bbk's, dual stage reeds etc etc.
I'd just get a performance exhaust and , maybe even a 19mm carb (if they give as much performance improvement as mx50boy reckons.)

I woudln't take lessons mate. I was excatly the same as you, i'd never owned a bike and only ever ridden rev and go's and i hired a rev and go for the CBT (which i would strongly recommend you do). It's quite easy though. Just practice starting off from a standing start (which is the hardest bit and where most people stall) then just go out and keep practising.

Dan92
08-10-2008, 05:07 PM
to keep it running with no faults (or very little) keep it restricted.
The more you tune your engine the more un-reliable it becomes.

As far as maintenance goes use good quality 2-stroke oil (silkolene or castrol etc.). Check the brake pads every month or so, check all your lights work, check your brakes work (making sure the lever is very hard and dosn't touch the handle bar, if it does then bleed the brakes). just basic things like that really.

Don't worry about changing the oil, the dealer should do that before it leaves the showroom.

As far as tuning it goes it all depends on how much wedge you have.
Personally i wouldn't go the whole hog and get bbk's, dual stage reeds etc etc.
I'd just get a performance exhaust and , maybe even a 19mm carb (if they give as much performance improvement as mx50boy reckons.)

I woudln't take lessons mate. I was excatly the same as you, i'd never owned a bike and only ever ridden rev and go's and i hired a rev and go for the CBT (which i would strongly recommend you do). It's quite easy though. Just practice starting off from a standing start (which is the hardest bit and where most people stall) then just go out and keep practising.

I'm buying it used so I think I might need to change the oil I guess. Will check the brakes, cheers for the handlebar tip!

The bike is said to have a "sports exhaust" but I have no idea how well it will perform. Oh well, we'll see I guess :)

I'm hoping it's restricted as for the first couple of weeks when I'm learning to ride the bike, as I think it might make it a bit easier. No biggie if it isn't though.

I think I am gonna go for the rent-a-bike-for-the-cbt as I don't want to fall off and scratch the (new) RS50. I also don't wanna fail just because I made a mistake changing gear or something.

I've read up a lot of the manual now and I've been looking up shifting and other tips on how to change gear and ride the bike in general.

Cheers for the tips so far, I am a newbie to riding a manual so any other ideas that might help are appreciated, thanks!

mx50boy
08-10-2008, 06:06 PM

im telling you, its better then an exhaust

dont dis till youve tryed one lol

rs50_jake
08-10-2008, 06:31 PM
help keep it running with no faults, and tune it as much as possible.

Hmmm , those to don't reallllly go together.

rs50_jake
08-10-2008, 06:38 PM
im telling you, its better then an exhaust

dont dis till youve tryed one lol

imo , a bigger carb is not going to make any diffrence at all unless you bbk it. Because its just feeding more petrol though but it wont make any diffrence because its still a 50cc , if it was a bbk its a diffrent situation then init.

just my opinion

Dan92
08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
imo , a bigger carb is not going to make any diffrence at all unless you bbk it. Because its just feeding more petrol though but it wont make any diffrence because its still a 50cc , if it was a bbk its a diffrent situation then init.

just my opinion

BBK = Big Bore Kit?
You're talking about like 70cc kits right? they aren't legal for 16 year olds on a CBT but are when you hit 17?

Hmmm , those to don't reallllly go together.
So I've (now) heard :P

williamr
08-11-2008, 03:48 AM
Hi there guys,

I'm Dan, just turned 16 last week and have just paid the deposit for a 2005, 7k mileage RS50. I've been interested for a little bit and I know a little bit about the bike and in general, motorcycles... but I was wondering if I could get a little more help. I'm really interested in learning what makes them work and in more detail, what I can do to help keep it running with no faults, and tune it as much as possible.

Is there a guide around that can tell me what different parts of the bike are? It just seems a little daunting because I haven't really ridden properly and I'm interested to learn all the different parts and what part of it does what. I know some of the basics, but it would be cool if you could help out.

About general maintenance - changing oil and stuff is an obvious winner but, are there any other things I should be doing when I get the bike? I've heard about lubricating the chain / sprocket but I'm unsure of how to do this.

Just asking for some help for an interested bloke.

Thanks,
Dan

EDIT: I've just checked out the FAQ and there seems to be a lot of information there. Sorry for not checking the stickies!

Get down to Halfords and look for a Hayne's manual. Everything that you need with explanatory text and photos. I think they also a general sort of intro to motorcycles manual, but I'm not too sure about that.

If your bike is missing its user manual, ask the dealer to get you one. THat will fill in the bits that the Hayne's manual misses.

At 16 the bike must be stock and restricted. Otherwise your licence is invalid and your insurance will be void.

Check with the dealer, but I'd expect an 05 to be serviced before you take delivery. As it's a 2-stroke the only oil to change is for the gearbox. That lasts a long time. Engine oil is burnt and just needs the tank topping up.

Rob

mx50boy
08-11-2008, 11:29 AM

just my opinion

have you even got a 19mm carb fitted on your bike?
you cant comment till you actually have one fitted

a bigger carb gives the engine move fuel and move air which makes a bigger explosion in the engine, pushing the piston down with more force resulting in more power been made

rs50 '03 steve
08-11-2008, 11:33 AM
if you really want to mod your bike to go fast then i would reccomend:
molossi 80cc big bore kit
dellorto 21mm carb
race exhaust (any)
race CDI
iridium spark plug (not much of a mod but it helps)
and a 14 or 15 tooth front sprocket.

oh yeh and an rs125:kidding:

insane_kid101
08-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Turned 16 on 14 july-got an RS 125!
But I been riding since was three(offroad)
but you'll get the hang of it easily!
good to see another young person here:cheers:
good luck!

bourney2007
08-11-2008, 03:18 PM
BBK = Big Bore Kit?
You're talking about like 70cc kits right? they aren't legal for 16 year olds on a CBT but are when you hit 17?

So I've (now) heard :P

what and de-restricting your bike is legal :rolleyes:

Turned 16 on 14 july-got an RS 125!
But I been riding since was three(offroad)
but you'll get the hang of it easily!
good to see another young person here:cheers:
good luck!

we're all young here pal. Except maybe nopainnogain and williamr

Dan92
08-11-2008, 04:51 PM
what and de-restricting your bike is legal :rolleyes:

Never said it was, was more of a question mate

Cheers williamr, I think I'll invest in a Haynes manual. :)

Josh Plunkett
08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
have you even got a 19mm carb fitted on your bike?
you cant comment till you actually have one fitted

a bigger carb gives the engine move fuel and move air which makes a bigger explosion in the engine, pushing the piston down with more force resulting in more power been made

Yeah but its only a 50cc so no matter what its only pumping in 0.05 litres of air/fuel mixture into the engine the only way it can have "a bigger explosion" is if it can take more fuel/air, for example a BBK.

Dan92,
Haynes manual tells you almost everything you will need to know.
Once you get on your bike and try riding it for the first time you will find out that it is so much easier than you think, its just trial and error.
Gear box oil is the only oil that needs changing, the haynes manual will tell you how to do that, and as said before engine oil just needs topping up when its low. A performance exhaust is pretty much the best way of increasing performance without going for a BBK there is boost chambers and such out there but i have no experience on them, maybe someone who has could enlighten us?

Enjoy the forum, always happy to help.
Josh.

bourney2007
08-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah but its only a 50cc so no matter what its only pumping in 0.05 litres of air/fuel mixture into the engine the only way it can have "a bigger explosion" is if it can take more fuel/air, for example a BBK.

Dan92,
Haynes manual tells you almost everything you will need to know.
Once you get on your bike and try riding it for the first time you will find out that it is so much easier than you think, its just trial and error.
Gear box oil is the only oil that needs changing, the haynes manual will tell you how to do that, and as said before engine oil just needs topping up when its low. A performance exhaust is pretty much the best way of increasing performance without going for a BBK there is boost chambers and such out there but i have no experience on them, maybe someone who has could enlighten us?

Enjoy the forum, always happy to help.
Josh.

hahahaha good luck topping the engine oil up. Let me know how you get on.

Boost chambers are a waste of space completly.

Sorry mate but most of that post is bullshit. I think mxboy knows what he's on about. A bigger carb will make a difference because it is dragging more air and fuel in. Think of it this way, i have a 14mm carb so i am not pulling in as much air/fuel as i could. By getting a 19mm carb i could pull in ,much more air and fuel causing a bigger explosion shooting the piston down faster meaning it comes back up faster. This may also enable you to rev higher.

You don't nessecarily need a bbk to drag in more air/fuel. A bbk will just increase the displacment. Obviously a bbk will be better than the stock 50cc because there is more surface area for fuel/air.
However you could improve your bike with an uprated 50cc kit. It still has the same displacment as the standard kit but it will be ported more aggressivley (sometimes meaning you loose bottom end power but gain top end) and you can buy high compression heads. I am not too sure how they work but i would imagine that they sit deeper into the cylinder so the squish is reduced meaning the compression is increased.

williamr
08-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Bigger carb allows more mixture to flow in - up to a point. Too big and it starts to get hard to tune. Bigger still and ther small motor can't pull enough to overcome inertia in the venturi.

For practical road use 19mm is about as big as you want to go. Perhaps 2 or 3 mm bigger with a bbk. Best teamed with a decent expansion chamber to improve scavaging, but this makes the motor peaky.

Josh and Bourney seem to be having some sort of contest to see who can display the most ignorance. Josh is slightly ahead.

Point of interest. It pulls 50cc of charge at standard atmospheric presure, but its pulled in dynamically and is pumped twice, once in the crank and again up to the cylinder. But it isn't 50cc. Compression can't start until the ports are closed, although the pressure wave in the exhaust modifys that statement slightly, so unlike a 4-stroke, where the whole swept volume is compressed, on a 2-stroke the effecive (ports closed) swept volume is much less than its nominal capacity.

Lots of scope for tuning there.

Rob

rs50 '03 steve
08-12-2008, 02:10 PM
and the "owned" award goes to

williamr for his frank yet inspiring knowledge

bourney2007
08-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Bigger carb allows more mixture to flow in - up to a point. Too big and it starts to get hard to tune. Bigger still and ther small motor can't pull enough to overcome inertia in the venturi.

For practical road use 19mm is about as big as you want to go. Perhaps 2 or 3 mm bigger with a bbk. Best teamed with a decent expansion chamber to improve scavaging, but this makes the motor peaky.

Josh and Bourney seem to be having some sort of contest to see who can display the most ignorance. Josh is slightly ahead.

Point of interest. It pulls 50cc of charge at standard atmospheric presure, but its pulled in dynamically and is pumped twice, once in the crank and again up to the cylinder. But it isn't 50cc. Compression can't start until the ports are closed, although the pressure wave in the exhaust modifys that statement slightly, so unlike a 4-stroke, where the whole swept volume is compressed, on a 2-stroke the effecive (ports closed) swept volume is much less than its nominal capacity.

Lots of scope for tuning there.

Rob

Damn it.
I need to be more ignorant, i have to win!

:kidding:

mx50boy
08-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Damn it.
I need to be more ignorant, i have to win!

that must be the first time ive seen you loose that award bourney

haha only messin

Josh Plunkett
08-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Lol sorry, i dont mean to be ignorant, i just cant get my head around this.
If the bigger carb is drawing in more air than a smaller carb, isnt the same amount of air and fuel getting into the chamber? 50cc

I just dont get it.

If its competition u want, then i think you will be entertained for months.

bourney2007
08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
that must be the first time ive seen you loose that award bourney

haha only messin

i know. Think i'm slipping up a bit. :happy:

williamr
08-13-2008, 05:46 AM
Lol sorry, i dont mean to be ignorant, i just cant get my head around this.
If the bigger carb is drawing in more air than a smaller carb, isnt the same amount of air and fuel getting into the chamber? 50cc

I just dont get it.

If its competition u want, then i think you will be entertained for months.

OK Josh. Look at it like this.

You turn on a cold water tap. As you turn it more the hole inside the tap gets bigger and the water comes out faster.

Same with a carb. As you open it more, more air gets through the bigger hole. The air can only go so fast, so a bigger hole means more air gets through. That's how the throttle works. It shuts down the size of the hole and opens it up when you twist the grip.

If opening the throttle to make the hole bigger makes the bike go faster, then it's logical that an even bigger hole will make it faster still. OK with that?

If the hole gets too big the analogy breaks down, as I posted above, but the bike can pull air through a hole biggerf than the one in the stock carb.

THink of it as a restriction limiting the amount of air that can be pulled in. THe stock carb can be thought of as a restriction as it doesn't allow the motor to pull in all the air that it's capable of pulling in.

Rob

david2101
03-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I find that the mx 50 is a very easy to ride bike athough the mx does slow down from 55 to 45 mph when going up hills which is annoyin this will not happen with an rs

bourney2007
03-20-2009, 01:29 PM
??

Not having a go mate but why woudnt a rs do this , in my view the rs would slow down slight more due to the fact thats it carrying more weight (farring ) where as the mx has the advatage of sod all weight , the rs fairing would only give it a edge over top speed of the mx due to it being more areodyamic and aloowing to reach the top speed more easier.

Gearing. I'm not sure wether the mx50 and rs50 have excatly the same lump dumped in or wether the mx lump has different gearing ratios.
Saying that though if the mx did have different ratios i'd imagine they'd be closer (better acceleration) with them being off-road styled.

I'd be surprsied if they had different ratios though, aprilia probably just dump the same lump into all of their 50cc geared bikes. Not point a designer messing with ratio's on a little fiddy is there.

Fairings weigh jack. I'd imagine if anything they'd be an advantage because of aero dynamics.

He's more than likley geared the bike (front sprocket, not internal gearing) higher, so it'll struggle up hills if it's geared for speed.

rs50 '03 steve
03-20-2009, 01:31 PM
of course they will change the gear ratios

bourney2007
03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
of course they will change the gear ratios

well wether they do or not i don't know, but i can't understand why a designer would mess about with internal gearing ratios on a little 50. They're both road going bikes, no one in their right mind would want to ride a 50 off road, surely.

Anyway, i'm probably wrong. Maybe they do mess with the raio's, who knows haha