PDA

View Full Version : Stupid newbie question re fuel gauge

justo316
12-23-2003, 09:49 PM
What does the "4/4" mean on the fuel gauge? And, is the fuel light meant to come on when it hits the red bar area?

Haribolman
12-24-2003, 01:19 AM
Justo, 4/4 is the same as 1 (four quarters). It would have been more logical if they'd just written "full"!

I find it takes some time before the fuel warning light comes on even after you've entered the red zone. I think you've got plenty of warning before you run out. I do find though that my fuel needle sometimes drops quite a lot under acceleration and then gradually returns to the correct reading at a steady throttle. Only happens on odd ocassions though.

kinetik
12-25-2003, 06:09 AM
Fuel tank capacity is 8lts. Reserve is 2lts. So the light comes on when you've got about 2 lts left in the tank.

justo316
12-30-2003, 06:28 AM
Is the reserve/2L rule accurate? Because, my fuel needle hit rock bottom today when the light came on. I guess I was just used to fuel lights coming on *before* it hits the end of the red area.

Haribolman
12-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Talking about petrol, I just remembered that it's vitally important that you use good quality petrol.

In Australia apparently the best fuel is supplied by Mobil. This is followed by Caltex/Ampol (they're the same). DO NOT use Shell under any circumstances, and apparently BP is not much better than Shell.

I found out the hard way using Shell premium unleaded just what it does to your bike's performance. Shell and BP use detergents in the premium petrol that stuff up the idling and smooth running of the bike. I had several different Aprilia mechanics (from different dealers) tell me to not use Shell or BP.

So I switched to Mobil (where available), otherwise Caltex/Ampol. And I only use regular unleaded now, not premium. Apart from the cheaper price, the mechanics told me the bike runs fine on it, and they're right! In fact, my bike runs better on Mobil regular than on Shell premium!

justo316
12-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Haribolman - Dude, you just wrote off my two closest service stations....:p:

That's good to hear, cos I was either going to be putting BP Ultimate or Shell Premium in.

I'll tell my riding mate to try filling his Balius up with the good stuff from Mobil as well.

Haribolman
12-30-2003, 11:47 PM
Yup, when I found out about petrol quality it wrote off my closest station as well!!

That's the problem, bloody Shell is everywhere!!

Also, don't use Shell two-stroke oil. Unless you want to gum your system up. Apparently Castrol TTS is good. I've used it for years on other bikes and I can say for certain it hardly carbons the inside of a two-stroke compared with Shell (which does it in about 2 minutes!!)

Just thinking about petrol again. I read the other day that the new Kawasaki ZX-10R Superbike has a fuel injection system that sprays fuel at 70 microns. Apparently most bikes are at 120 microns. Guess what the Ditech is? 8 microns!!! Yup, you read that right!! No bloody wonder the quality of the petrol is important!! The Ditech spray is unbelievably fine!

Reecho
01-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Funny you mention the petrol business....

Mine after 250kms seems to have an occasional miss at idle but fine with power.

Just topped it up with Caltex's best ...see how that goes..

The water pump seemed to leak a couple of drops too bugger but it seems to of slowed maybe a by-product of being in storage for so long.....

Haribolman
01-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Hey Reecho,

what petrol were you using before Caltex?

And I know Jebediah's going to lynch me for asking this, but are you waiting for the fuel pump to prime befroe hitting the starter button? Not doing so can also cause the bike to idle roughly.

Reecho
01-30-2004, 06:30 AM
The first tank was dealer fuel god knows what brand but i think shell was close ..........hmm..

first fill by me was Caltex premium (cause it was free) and i noticed very quickly the idling cleaned up.

I was sceptical at first but it's looking like the comments made are true.

I have only done 300 odd kms so time will tell...

And YES dammit i am waiting for the fuel pump even worming it up before take off..........LOL

ditechspain
01-31-2004, 11:47 AM
Reserve light. I used to run 30/40 kms past the reserve light coming on permanently and could never get more than 6.5 litres in so I thought the light was pessmistic. it isn't. i ran out almost exactly where I would expect to run out after using 2 litres. I couldn't top the tank up from empty which would have been useful and the pump attendant was in a hurry but I still didn't get close to 8 litres in