PDA

View Full Version : Are Performance mods worth it?

Aprilia Newbie
07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I am looking at the options to improve the performance on my 2000 RS50 that I use to have fun around town and some back roads all under 50mph roads.

What mods are worth the money?

What type of acceleration gains do you typically see with mods?

Do the mods help hold speed going up hills?

Is there a big difference over the stock RS50?

This is not my primary bike but really like the RS50 so would like to make it a bike I could ride more often.

Thanks for all the advice.

bourney2007
07-29-2008, 12:39 PM
the best mod you can do is a performance exhaust. After that you're talking big money (bbk's, 21mm carb, dual stage reeds etc etc).

Not worth it really, but if you enjoy it then why not.

r14rossi
07-29-2008, 12:49 PM
not worth having bbks and all that shit on it if you're not going on big long straights

its worth getting a performance exhaust and gearing the bike to suit your terrain

mx50boy
07-29-2008, 01:01 PM
exhaust and a 19 or 21mm carb are the two cheaper and best performance parts

bbk would be the best for performance but they cost alot more

rs50 '03 steve
07-29-2008, 01:15 PM
if you want quick acceleration and a reasonable top speed look at my sig.

Aprilia Newbie
07-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I am really tossed up on what type of money to throw at the RS50. What do most of you use your RS50's for?

I like that it is really light bike and it is fun to have to work the bike to get it up to speed. Even though it is much much slower, it is more fun to ride then my dual purpose.

williamr
07-30-2008, 03:14 AM
Bottom line is that without a BBK you won't see gains comensurate with expense, and a BBK is of little value without a pipe and bigger carb. If you're happy with a 50 mph top speed, then do this - you need the BBK for hill climbing - and gear for a 50 - 55 top speed.

In the EU these mods would then knock a lot off the resale value of the bike, but as you have different licencing arrangements that may not be true for you.

If you intend to keep the bike untill it's worn out and has no value, and you don't mind spending a lot of money, the why not do it? If you only want to get better performance for minimal cost, then get a bigger bike. Search the forum and you'll see the possibility of some RS125s in the States. One of these would probably suit you as a second bike.

Rob

SpeedEng
07-30-2008, 07:14 AM
I am looking at the options to improve the performance on my 2000 RS50 that I use to have fun around town and some back roads all under 50mph roads.
cheapest option if your not going faster than 50mph (55 mph to be exact)
is to drop down one tooth in the front sproket (aka 11t) and that will make the bike faster in all gears but you will give up some top speed (11t/47t = 56mph, 12t/47= 61mph) this is the cheapest option that requires no rejet (cost around $15)

What mods are worth the money?
it depends on the user. I was fine with a stock rs50 for nyc traffic/roads
only thing that bugged me was when I was @ a stop light, (the slow take off)
so it depends on how mn is (btw good to see another person from the states on here we are far out numbered ;) )

What type of acceleration gains do you typically see with mods?
imo.
stock gearing/with arrow exhaust. same take off speed. but when in power band you do feel it pull (slightly more) better than the stock exhaust

stock gearing + arrow + bbk + 24mm carb = has ample amount of take off, power band is great, but I reach the top speed too easy on the highway (61mph)

13/43 gearing + arrow + bbk + carb = still faster (take off) than stock/w exhaust + now have a top speed of 68ish mph, power band is still good!

Do the mods help hold speed going up hills?
yes/no I drive by this long semi steep over pass/bridge on local main road, (about 1/2 mile long 30mph road) this is where the bike is struggling to pull to the top. it still pulls but very light (im ragging the bike to past the middle)

Is there a big difference over the stock RS50?
I would say night and day

This is not my primary bike but really like the RS50 so would like to make it a bike I could ride more often.
I say if your commute is less than 15 miles highway it's fine any more use another bike, the top speed is what holds the bike back for me I have a 12mile commute to work for about 3 miles it's local, local is great fun, but the last 9ish miles (if there's no traffic ;) ) hitting the top speed kinda sucks

ajrhythm
07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
speedeng you said that dropping the front down a tooth (11t) would give it better top end? thought you had to increase it to get a higher top end, eg. (14t)

mx50boy
07-30-2008, 07:37 AM
better speed through the gears meaning you can accelerant faster, but the top speed is slower

SpeedEng
07-30-2008, 08:13 AM
speedeng you said that dropping the front down a tooth (11t) would give it better top end? thought you had to increase it to get a higher top end, eg. (14t)

but you will give up some top speed

mx50boy is correct faster take off, lower top speed

I moved up to a 13t for higher speed, I kept pegging the spedo @ 61mph
cruise speed for me is around 55ish @ 9k

rs50 '03 steve
07-30-2008, 08:14 AM
dont take this the wrong way...

thats not very good advise for someone who wants more top speed, i know he also said acceleration but still.

SpeedEng
07-30-2008, 08:24 AM
dont take this the wrong way...

thats not very good advise for someone who wants more top speed, i know he also said acceleration but still.

none taken but I dont think op whant more top speed, only acceleration

am looking at the options to improve the performance on my 2000 RS50 that I use to have fun around town and some back roads all under 50mph roads.

so I gave op my opinion and the route I choose ;)

Aprilia Newbie
07-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks Speedeng. That answers my questios nicely.

Like you mentioned not many people in the US have or even know about RS50's. So I wonder what do most people use their RS50 for in the US? Track bike, secondary bike or primary motorcycle?

I really like the RS50 and most likely will keep it even if i buy a larger sport bike. I haven't spent much time on the larger bikes, but I assume the RS50 would be more fun to drive for certain rides because of how light and nimble it is and the fact that for low speed town riding you still have to push the bike a little to keep up.

How does the RS50 compare for most people to riding a larger bike?

Thanks everybody again for the advice.

SpeedEng
07-31-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks Speedeng. That answers my questios nicely.

Like you mentioned not many people in the US have or even know about RS50's. So I wonder what do most people use their RS50 for in the US? Track bike, secondary bike or primary motorcycle?

I really like the RS50 and most likely will keep it even if i buy a larger sport bike. I haven't spent much time on the larger bikes, but I assume the RS50 would be more fun to drive for certain rides because of how light and nimble it is and the fact that for low speed town riding you still have to push the bike a little to keep up.

How does the RS50 compare for most people to riding a larger bike?

Thanks everybody again for the advice.

for me, I was looking for ex250-ex500 or gs500 cause gas was getting pricey (lol @ 2.30 a gallon) one day found a ad for the rs for $1400 (bone stock with 600 miles) so I snagged it for a cheap commuter
6 months later picked up a ex250 for $700 for the wife (so it kinda worked out)

the bad is how much you have to shift
you go through 2 gears before you have to shift once on any other bike
(big toe hurts alittle when im not wearing steel tip)

rs50nut
07-31-2008, 11:55 AM
I filled my bike up 52mpg but I'm keeping it when I buy another bike.(Vulcan 900
Custom or Harley Streetbob.)It's to much fun just to ride around.

For a big bore kit, pipe, clutches, 21mm carb expect to pay around $900+USD.

Start out with a pipe and go on from there (buy one at a time)

1.Pipe

2.Carb and jets

3.racing clutch pack

4 70cc big bore kit.

ect.........

SpeedEng
08-01-2008, 06:53 AM
I filled my bike up 52mpg but I'm keeping it when I buy another bike.(Vulcan 900
Custom or Harley Streetbob.)It's to much fun just to ride around.

For a big bore kit, pipe, clutches, 21mm carb expect to pay around $900+USD.

Start out with a pipe and go on from there (buy one at a time)

1.Pipe

2.Carb and jets

3.racing clutch pack

4 70cc big bore kit.

ect.........

I paid alot less ;)
just got to keep your eyes open

Aprilia Newbie
08-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks RS50 Nut. I am thinking the same thing is that I will keep it once I get a bigger bike. I will take your advice and most likely start with the new exhaust and keep adding until I do everything or hit a spot where I am happy.

Are these mods mostly DIY projects or too complicated that I need someone to install for me. They seem pretty straight forward, but I haven't done a lot of engine work before so I am a little hesitant.

Thanks again.

rs50nut
08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks RS50 Nut. I am thinking the same thing is that I will keep it once I get a bigger bike. I will take your advice and most likely start with the new exhaust and keep adding until I do everything or hit a spot where I am happy.

Are these mods mostly DIY projects or too complicated that I need someone to install for me. They seem pretty straight forward, but I haven't done a lot of engine work before so I am a little hesitant.

Thanks again.

no problem homie just take it one step at a time it's not hard to change the piston cylinder setup clutches and stuff. Go to the tech tips and rs50 they show you what to do.

P.S Tech Tips on top of the forum page.

deerio
08-01-2008, 03:36 PM
I had an RS50 before I bought my m620 and regretted selling it so much that I ended up buying another one... As far as comparing it to the 620 and other larger bikes, I feel that it's not really comparable because the difference in power is so huge. Larger bikes are so much easier to cruise around on and feels much more planted in my opinion... But the great thing about the 50 to me is the lightweight, and the fact that you can go through the gears up and down in the really tight stuff... it just makes the ride that much more enjoyable. In addition, it's a great bike to work on because of the simplicity of the motor... I never did much mechanical work prior to getting the 50 but once you get started you'll realize it's not bad at all and a great bike to learn a lot of things on. Keep a manual at hand and start going through it little by little and you'll find yourself putting things together soon enough.

Aprilia Newbie
08-06-2008, 12:07 PM
I am thinking I will keep the RS50 and probably get a bigger bike next summer as well for longer rides or if I have a passenger. I worried that if I sell the RS50 I would miss it and they are hard to come by so it would be better to just keep it.

I think I might try my hand at working on the RS50 by doing some of the upgrades people suggested. That way I would have a little faster bike incase I have a buddy who would want to ride with me if I get the larger bike.

Thanks for the all the advice. I appreciate everybody sharing their experience with me.