PDA

View Full Version : I have a fuel line leak!

MisterSprinkles
07-27-2008, 06:15 PM
So the fuel line from the pump (I think?)-- the one that runs from the thing at on the left of the bike just behind the battery cover that has an electrical connection underneath it.

Anyways-- how do you break those clamps off that its held on with?

What diameter hose is it? I couldn't find it on the hose.

Also I notice if you let the bike sit for a long time this hose loses pressure completely (it is no longer firm) and there is a strong gasoline smell on it.

I assume therefore that when I remove it there will be low to no danger of having pressurised fuel sprayed at me or something else similarly fun?

Will it be an issue for the engine to have a fully empty fuel line? Will this affect me the first time I try to start with the new line?

Do I have to do anything before I change the fuel line?

Thanks. I'd like to get this done early tommorow... Apparently I'm just losing money to evaporating gas and I didnt even know

Ableto
07-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Make sure you unplug the battery first just to make sure.

MisterSprinkles
07-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Make sure you unplug the battery first just to make sure.

I will thank you I didnt think of that.

how do I break the clamps that are on there? They're not the screw on screw off ones

smartbomb
07-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Make sure you replace tyhe hose with high pressure line and clamps specificly for fuel injection. Bring the hose with you to the auto parts store.

MisterSprinkles
07-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Make sure you replace tyhe hose with high pressure line and clamps specificly for fuel injection. Bring the hose with you to the auto parts store.

http://www.zeroclips.com/assets/Image/tridon_page5_pic2.jpg
You mean the one at the bottom right?

Thanks for the tip I wasn't sure about that.

Do you know how to break the clamps that are already on there?

I appreciate it.

thamil
07-27-2008, 08:45 PM
http://www.zeroclips.com/assets/Image/tridon_page5_pic2.jpg
You mean the one at the bottom right?

Thanks for the tip I wasn't sure about that.

Do you know how to break the clamps that are already on there?

I appreciate it.

yes..... the bottom right one that looks like a minature T-bolt clamp

MisterSprinkles
07-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Still don't know how to break those old clamps off lol

kungfupimp
07-27-2008, 11:35 PM
i did this last week.

no worries man. i did a blind run to the dirt bike shop nearby & said, "I need about 2 feet of fuel line." he's like what size? I dunno.

the guy cuts me 2 feet. it was a large roll he bought from parts unlimited. the fuel line actually said parts unlimited on it. kinda see-through colored fuel line. green maybe?
I paid $2

but you can buy any fuel line. I don't even know what size it was. but I brought it home & the fuel line rocked! it fit perfectly.
it was very flexible, yet did not kink. & is not that crappy black rubber that deteriorates & leaves black crap floating in your fuel.

i did not break the hose clamps.
i just unscrewed it to loosen it just enough to wiggle the fuel line out slowly.

Fuel line comes out & the clamp is in my hand.
measure the new line length side by side to the old line. cut to match.

i toss the old line.

run the same clamp around the new hose clamp.

push the new hose on the pump.

slide the clamp to the edge & turn screw to tighten.
do the other end.

done.

I ride for 5 min. check it. no leaks.

go again, 15...30min...no leaks.

best $2 i spent in a long time.

yes..... the bottom right one that looks like a minature T-bolt clamp

SilverSurfer
07-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I think you're talking about one of those "clip" type hose clamps? If I'm thinking of the correct one, you can get a small slotted/flathead screwdriver and pop the hose clamp loose. There's a small tab somewhere on the clamp, and you just have to get that popped apart.... if I'm remembering correctly.....

kungfupimp
07-27-2008, 11:43 PM
i didn't read that yours is not the screw on type clamps.

it should be screw on type from thamil's pic.

but if not they are probably the type you use a needle nose plier to pinch together & the clamp gets loose. do they kinda look like a circle with 2 bunny ears? pinch the 2 tabs in to make the circle bigger.

i would replace it with the screw on type.

I bought a set of 8 from walmart for about $2 & keep 'em in the garage.

pics also help.

-john

MisterSprinkles
07-27-2008, 11:47 PM
It is the clip type you guys described it perfectly.

I'm going go go take care of this tommorow..

Any suggestions for what the best fuel line brand would be?

Is Prestone any good?

smartbomb
07-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Yes. you pry the old clips loose, replace them with the mini t-bolt style fuel injection clamps and DO NOT DO WHAT THE OTHER GUY SAID and run clear or any old fuel line. Use fuel injection specific hose. Fuel injection systems run 35 psi + compared to 2-6 psi found in carburated systems. You need the stronger multi ply hose or you will have problems later.

With the right hose and clamps you will be better than new for just a few bucks.

sdean4816
07-28-2008, 12:09 PM
I had to replace my fuel line this spring. I got the replacement hose from my local Aprilia dealer. Unfortunately it doesnt have the size on it but I measured it at 1/4 inch inside Diameter and outside 1/2 inch .

Steve

MisterSprinkles
07-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Nice! I just bought 1/4" / 1/2" fuel injection hose.

What a nice fluke :D