PDA

View Full Version : Air box snorkel question (already read threads via "search")

LKB3rd
07-27-2008, 06:30 AM
So, thanks to Mr. Scootswell, I have been tipped off on the effect of removing the air box snorkel.
My '09 is running rich, blackening plugs very quickly, and requiring that I use a cr7eix indexed to block the spray with the ground electrode. If I don't, I get stuttering and hesitation as the engine revs through 6-7k rpm's.
I just did a search and found all of the threads about this, and I think I may try it. My only concern is about long term damage from increased airflow. Has anyone run this mod long term, or does anyone have any thoughts about doing this, and its effect on engine life?
My plugs get black and sooty after even a day or two of use. The cr7eix indexed as described above gets a slightly lighter shade of black. Should I monitor plug color to make sure I get a nice brown (hopefully) color on the plug? And is there anything else I should be aware of in deciding whether this is a good idea?
Thanks in advance.

MisterSprinkles
07-27-2008, 09:56 AM
What gas and oil are you using? is the bike fully derestricted? Stock pipe? Roller weight??

What RPM are you accelerating through at. This sounds like a mis-tune

LKB3rd
07-27-2008, 10:34 AM
I know that the shop stocks motul oil, and I am on my first tank, so it has whatever they put in it. Probably motul. I am assuming they ship either empty or with a small fill.
I have been using exxon 93 octane.
Stock rollers. Stock ecu mapping, which I am under the impression is derestricted. I can go 49 mph tucked on a flat.
I removed the air intake restrictor and the variator ring. It is fully stock other than that.
On acceleration I don't hit 8k rpms until 15-20 mph, and after that, it stays right around 8k until I hit around 40, when it inches up slowly if I go faster than that.

MisterSprinkles
07-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I know that the shop stocks motul oil, and I am on my first tank, so it has whatever they put in it. Probably motul. I am assuming they ship either empty or with a small fill.
I have been using exxon 93 octane.
Stock rollers. Stock ecu mapping, which I am under the impression is derestricted. I can go 49 mph tucked on a flat.
I removed the air intake restrictor and the variator ring. It is fully stock other than that.
On acceleration I don't hit 8k rpms until 15-20 mph, and after that, it stays right around 8k until I hit around 40, when it inches up slowly if I go faster than that.

Well there's your answer my friend.

Your rollers are likely a bit too heavy for your setup so you're getting the wrong fuel/air mixture through your acceleration,

but most of all you're using MOTUL oil. Putting MOTUL in a ditech is like putting sugar in a gas tank.. Its a really bad idea.

I would suggest you only ride the scoot as far as you need to go to get good oil, but ideally leave it and use another form of transit.

You'll want to get the MOTUL out of the reservoir. You can't run that crapp through your engine.

Its great oil. But its terrible oil for ditech.

AGIP CITY 2T, on paper, is terrible oil, but great for ditech.

Nothing makes sense these days I know

Mr. Scootswell
07-27-2008, 11:14 AM
LBK3rd-
I use Bel-Ray S1 for injectection. My dealer has had no problems with it.

I don't know if its recommended here, but after 400+ miles, the bike is running
as good as it ever was.

LKB3rd
07-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Should I siphon it out?

Dale Zalaoras
07-27-2008, 12:51 PM
So, thanks to Mr. Scootswell, I have been tipped off on the effect of removing the air box snorkel.
My '09 is running rich, blackening plugs very quickly, and requiring that I use a cr7eix indexed to block the spray with the ground electrode. If I don't, I get stuttering and hesitation as the engine revs through 6-7k rpm's.
I just did a search and found all of the threads about this, and I think I may try it. My only concern is about long term damage from increased airflow. Has anyone run this mod long term, or does anyone have any thoughts about doing this, and its effect on engine life?
My plugs get black and sooty after even a day or two of use. The cr7eix indexed as described above gets a slightly lighter shade of black. Should I monitor plug color to make sure I get a nice brown (hopefully) color on the plug? And is there anything else I should be aware of in deciding whether this is a good idea?
Thanks in advance.

Take the damn thing to your dealer!...It is a new bike under warranty??..Something wrong with this story...:confused:...:bs:...:rolleyes:

LKB3rd
07-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Take the damn thing to your dealer!...It is a new bike under warranty??..Something wrong with this story...:confused:...:bs:...:rolleyes:
The dealer is useless. I took it in already, and he told me I had the wrong plug in it. He put a cpr9eb in it, and the sputtering returned the next day.

High Gain Tuning
07-27-2008, 04:03 PM
LKB3rd

Can you point out which piece you are removing?

When my scoot was at 49cc I didn't find any air mods that helped... It is full of restrictions but then again, doesn't demand much air.

70cc is a different story... The stock intake system needs work. This was the first restriction to go and many more just like it will be next.

LKB3rd
07-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Yea I saw pictures of it.
I actually decided that the suggestion to take it to the dealer was a good one, and I appreciate it.
It should run right without me having to fuss with it so much, and when it does, I can tweak the rollers and other stuff if I choose to. I will probably experiment with the "snorkel" at some point, but I just want it to run right consistently first.
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. I couldn't find any castrol tts or agip locally today, but I will do that soon too.
Edited to add:
I contacted a service rep at Aprilia USA, and on her recommendation I wrote a detailed description of what has been going on, and they are going to contact the dealer and work with them to make sure they do a thorough job on it.

Dale Zalaoras
07-27-2008, 09:37 PM
...It should run right without me having to fuss with it so much, and when it does, ... I contacted a service rep at Aprilia USA, and on her recommendation I wrote a detailed description of what has been going on, and they are going to contact the dealer and work with them to make sure they do a thorough job on it...

That sounds a lot better!...let us know how it works out...I feel your pain, there are many so-called dealers out there that can be very frustrating, to say the least!