PDA

View Full Version : 2-up riding - power and peg next to exhaust

818Guy
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Who has ridden their Mana 2-up?

(1) How is the power with the extra passenger weight?

(2) Is there any issue with the left side passenger peg and the exhaust pipe getting hot for the passenger?

I ask #2 because when my wife sat on the Mana at the dealership that was the first thing she noticed - how close the peg was to the exhaust. If I recall, the passenger heal might be sitting ON the exhaust (if using the balls of their feet on the peg).

Thanks for any info.

roachie
07-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Who has ridden their Mana 2-up?

(1) How is the power with the extra passenger weight?

(2) Is there any issue with the left side passenger peg and the exhaust pipe getting hot for the passenger?

I ask #2 because when my wife sat on the Mana at the dealership that was the first thing she noticed - how close the peg was to the exhaust. If I recall, the passenger heal might be sitting ON the exhaust (if using the balls of their feet on the peg).

Thanks for any info.

I asked my husband to ride me as a passenger on my Mana to test this very thing.

(1) He said that the power was a non-issue - not really a difference.

(2) I was very very nervous about the heat because your foot is literally resting on the exhaust "guard". If you move your foot forward to avoid it, you're bumping against the foot on the front peg. My husband has size 13 boots, so that was a challenge. I could not find a comfortable fit on the rear pegs, but I think it's just out of fear of the heat....although I didn't feel the heat at all, so it was all in my head.

Hope that makes sense and helps.... :)

BikerGeek
07-26-2008, 11:10 AM
I asked my husband to ride me

This is really none of our business...

818Guy
07-26-2008, 11:18 AM
roachie, thanks! I really appreciate you going for a test run on the bike to answer my questions.

roachie
07-26-2008, 12:04 PM
This is really none of our business...

http://roachie.smugmug.com/photos/322410029_yjVDZ-M.gif

switchback
08-07-2008, 02:20 PM
When I tested one my wife's only complaint was the peg by the exhaust. Said there was no way to get her foot placed so that it felt natural.

818Guy
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah, while we didn't test ride a Mana, my wife said the same thing just from sitting on the bike with me.

RichardU
08-09-2008, 12:11 AM
My wife and I just rode over a hundred miles 2-up. Power was never a problem, even when mixing it up on Atlanta freeways at over 80 mph. She was never bothered by the placement of the rear pegs either.

Deathace
08-11-2008, 05:15 AM
My wife takes our son or daughter on the back with her and she noticed a little more weight and having to compensate for that but you would on any bike and the placement of the left foot right on the exhaust shield for the couple of hours we were out was not a problem with the heel of my sons boot, it didn't get hot enough to start melting his heel so I can imagine it would be ok over the long term.

I will be changing her exhaust for the Leo Vince factory slip on at the end of the month so from the pictures that is lower than stock and would get rid of the issue completely.

Russ

rocketscientist
08-26-2008, 03:46 PM
No complaints from my girlfriend riding pillion in 3000km of riding in Southern France recently (she was wearing walking boots) w.r.t. heat from the exhaust. We were stopping every 2hours or so to fill up on petrol, and to rest our butts :o) , taste wine, enjot the view etc.
The Mana is still good to ride 2 up, with panniers, top box, and sleeping mats on the top box. obviously a bit more heavy around town when manoeuvering, but on the road, with the preload and rebound on the rear shock set approproately, it stills handles well

Graham