PDA

View Full Version : Tuono or RSV?

hawaiiboy66
07-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Ok, so I have gotten some things narrowed down and I am going to buy an Aprilia, but I've been bouncing back and forth between the RSV and the Tuono. I've ridden Yamaha/Honda for the last 25 years, including Nighthawk S, Radian, FZR1000, CBR900, CBR600(raced for 5 years) and currently '97 YZF1000R(not R1). I have always liked the feel of a sportbike but I don't feel I need to drag knees anymore, although I still love carving corners. I enjoy riding at 7/10 pace and sometimes a bit quicker. I know the Tuono and the RSV are similar machines and I like the styling of both(although I lean towards the RSV here....). I really don't do speeds over 110, with the occasional long straight rap. I do like all-day rides, and I do fight some mild low back pain. Any suggestions to people who have ridden both bikes, what you prefer and why? Thanks for your input.

duncandisorderl
07-21-2008, 02:24 AM
If you re-read your own requirements I think you will already know the answer!!!.
So next question to ask is how quick I can get hold of one and which model am I going to buy:-)
DD

Jaguar
07-21-2008, 02:41 AM
As one who's been through major back surgery etc., I'd have to say the riding position on the Tuono I hired last year was amazingly comfortable (compared with my RSV). And once I got used to leaning in from an upright position (strange!) I went fine on it, keeping in front of my mate's Blade across the Alps. So no complaints with performance.

The only problem was that I found any speeds above about 120kmh (75mph) pretty uncomfortable due to buffeting. I was hunkering down on the tank, thinking I'd be better of on my RSV.........

But I see the earlier Tuonos have a bikini fairing that looks like it might work OK - so maybe that's the answer.

Batfastard
07-21-2008, 02:42 AM
..... I really don't do speeds over 110, with the occasional long straight rap. I do like all-day rides, and I do fight some mild low back pain....

As Duncan says, you have answered your own question.

So which Tuono are you buying?

sperz1
07-21-2008, 02:50 AM
I owned a 00 RSV Mille before I bought my Tuono. I also had problems with back pain so the Tuono was the obvious choice for me. 14k later and I couldn't be happier. This is the first time I've owned a bike and never had the urge to look at others.

Dr. Zaius
07-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Agree that you answered your own question, but I will say that I just bought an 03 Tuono and it was even more comfortable than the VFR 800 that I was looking at, and those are supposed to be more touring oriented. This bike is a great mix for an experienced rider. Comfortable, nimble, and a beast when you want it. I'm in Denver, so PM me if you want to go for a ride when you get your new Tuono. :cheers:

Here are some listings to check out:

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpmoto&itm=aprilia&state=&fil=tuono&ys=2002&ye=2008&submit=go

The Dr.Jon
07-21-2008, 01:36 PM
If you can't cut it on a sports bike anymore and you need to slow down, then the Tuono is the natural choice.

:)

scanman
07-21-2008, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=The Dr.Jon;1910614]If you can't cut it on a sports bike anymore and you need to slow down, then the Tuono is the natural choice.

then the next stage will be turning japaneseee and get yourself a crotch rocket r1 when you still fail to keep up!!:kidding::kidding:

styx
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Having owned both it's all a matter of riding positions; frames, engines basically similar. You either want clip-ons or sit up and beg. The Tuono is definitely more comfortable.

Kid Thunder
07-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I have a Tuono & my son has an RSV-R. If you can handle the clip-ons than by all means by the RSV-R. If not get the Tuono! The are the same bike so it's not hard to chose! But me,at my age(60), the Tuono is the only bike to get.
Had some cruiser & touring guys at work telling to by a cruiser until they sat on the Tuono. They couldn't believe how comfortable it was.
The other choice is to get the RSV-R & put high bars on it if you like the look of a full fairing. Looks are teh only difference.

vito
07-21-2008, 02:18 PM
As one who's been through major back surgery etc., I'd have to say the riding position on the Tuono I hired last year was amazingly comfortable (compared with my RSV). And once I got used to leaning in from an upright position (strange!) I went fine on it, keeping in front of my mate's Blade across the Alps. So no complaints with performance.

The only problem was that I found any speeds above about 120kmh (75mph) pretty uncomfortable due to buffeting. I was hunkering down on the tank, thinking I'd be better of on my RSV.........

But I see the earlier Tuonos have a bikini fairing that looks like it might work OK - so maybe that's the answer.

some after market screens help with the buffeting

A1Rick xbox360
07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
i came from a gsxr 750 02 K1
am now on a 03 tuono, i`ve never rode a better bike.
a bigger screen will help with wind blast.
am used to it now, so it don't bother me, until am well over 100mph

i`d never go back to a race rep, as i can ride all day.
i rode 270 miles home when i picked up my tuono
then, did another 200 the next day, with ease.

you know, yourself, after a few hundred miles on a race rep, your worn out.

scotsy
07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Got to be a Tuono:bump:

I'm 53 and have had 2 RSV's but this Gen2 Tuono is the comfiest bike and can be ridden all day without much discomfort (yes its 'blowy' over 90mph) I don't even think the seat is bad either after covering 300 miles a day for a week i never needed to 'move about' much. I would pay the extra and buy the 'factory' model though (the gold frame was a 'no-no' for me!!!) as the better suspension and lighter wheels would probably be noticeably better for an 'ex racer' to appreciate:)

QuickHX
07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Agree with everyone but the good Dr. Jon; he's having withdrawal pains, methinks.

I always have to look twice, three times to see if it's another ricer or an RSV, with the Tuono there is no doubt.

If being more unique than the average plastic-clad bike, get the Tuono.

The Dr.Jon
07-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Having had a Tuono (03) and an RSV-R (07), although the engine on the RSVR is sweeter, the grunty V twin doesn't suit the RSVR aswell as it does the Tuono. The wide bars make for effortless counter steering, although you will need to change the gearing with a 16/44 or similar and paly around with the forks (steering geometry) to get the best out of it.

:burnout:

hawaiiboy66
07-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Agree that you answered your own question, but I will say that I just bought an 03 Tuono and it was even more comfortable than the VFR 800 that I was looking at, and those are supposed to be more touring oriented. This bike is a great mix for an experienced rider. Comfortable, nimble, and a beast when you want it. I'm in Denver, so PM me if you want to go for a ride when you get your new Tuono. :cheers:

Here are some listings to check out:

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpmoto&itm=aprilia&state=&fil=tuono&ys=2002&ye=2008&submit=go

Thanks for the site. It sure helps. I am waiting a bit for the $$ situation to take place. Sure I'll give you a shout when it does happen. I'd love to see how well the Aprilia does in the Colorado mountains! If everything is true what they say about the Ape's ability in the twisties then things will be great!

RastaRN
07-22-2008, 08:51 AM
From an ergonomic standpoint, the Tuono is on par if not more comfortable than my old BMW K1200RS. By adding a taller windscreen like the MRA, you can improve the wind protection a ton. I even added (cough) heated grips, which is just freakin bliss man...like warm apple pie.

From a handling standpoint, you can get the tuono to carve canyons with the best of them.......BUT it will take some getting used to. AND no matter what you do, you will never get the same front end feel as a true race rep sportbike. The sooner you accept that, the better off you'll be.

From a conversion standpoint, its alot easier to throw clipons onto a Tuono than it is to convert an RSVR to a Tuono. If that makes any sense. Bottom line....buy the Tuono. IF you don't like the way it handles....throw on some clipons. DONE.

BTW: One of the guys from this board is selling his Tuono Factory with TigCraft exhaust and clipons on craigslist here in the SF Bay Area. For $8900...that is a freaking steal. Here is the link:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/757927913.html

Dark
07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm 24 (probably the youngest and shortest tuono owner) and I love my Tuono. Had the choice between both the rsv and the tuono (came from an R6), the tuono was much more comfortable and seemed just as capable. Also, as mentioned above, I could throw a set of clip-ons on and have a naked rsv.

Dr. Zaius
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
From an ergonomic standpoint, the Tuono is on par if not more comfortable than my old BMW K1200RS. By adding a taller windscreen like the MRA, you can improve the wind protection a ton. I even added (cough) heated grips, which is just freakin bliss man...like warm apple pie.

From a handling standpoint, you can get the tuono to carve canyons with the best of them.......BUT it will take some getting used to. AND no matter what you do, you will never get the same front end feel as a true race rep sportbike. The sooner you accept that, the better off you'll be.

From a conversion standpoint, its alot easier to throw clipons onto a Tuono than it is to convert an RSVR to a Tuono. If that makes any sense. Bottom line....buy the Tuono. IF you don't like the way it handles....throw on some clipons. DONE.

BTW: One of the guys from this board is selling his Tuono Factory with TigCraft exhaust and clipons on craigslist here in the SF Bay Area. For $8900...that is a freaking steal. Here is the link:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/757927913.html

Well put... but DAMN I didn't even get to see that one in SF... I guess somebody already stole it. Hawaiiboy? If not, that site was a great thing to stumble across when I was searching, enjoy the hunt.

siktuono
07-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Go Tuono for sure!

Aprilliawatcher
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
tuono

hawaiiboy66
07-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Well put... but DAMN I didn't even get to see that one in SF... I guess somebody already stole it. Hawaiiboy? If not, that site was a great thing to stumble across when I was searching, enjoy the hunt.

No, not me. I am getting all my ducks in a row before getting one. Had a few unexpected bills pop up and set me back a bit, but I will get there. Just a bit more waiting.

Twin Pumper
07-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Ok, so I have gotten some things narrowed down and I am going to buy an Aprilia, but I've been bouncing back and forth between the RSV and the Tuono. I've ridden Yamaha/Honda for the last 25 years, including Nighthawk S, Radian, FZR1000, CBR900, CBR600(raced for 5 years) and currently '97 YZF1000R(not R1). I have always liked the feel of a sportbike but I don't feel I need to drag knees anymore, although I still love carving corners. I enjoy riding at 7/10 pace and sometimes a bit quicker. I know the Tuono and the RSV are similar machines and I like the styling of both(although I lean towards the RSV here....). I really don't do speeds over 110, with the occasional long straight rap. I do like all-day rides, and I do fight some mild low back pain. Any suggestions to people who have ridden both bikes, what you prefer and why? Thanks for your input.

From what you said.... Get the Tuono

I can ride as hard as the guys on the more 'committed' bikes, but not have all the aches at the end of the day...

Jaguar
07-30-2008, 01:42 AM
Dr Jon.

Aren't the RSVR and Tuono engines virtually identical?

I'd think the engine on your RSVR is sweeter b/c it's a 2nd gen engine and your Tuono is/was a 1st gen. Certainly the engine on my 06 RSVR Factory is noticeably smoother and more linear in its delivery than my 03 RSV.

Tuono-Deb
07-30-2008, 02:25 AM
Dr Jon.

I'd think the engine on your RSVR is sweeter b/c it's a 2nd gen engine and your Tuono is/was a 1st gen. Certainly the engine on my 06 RSVR Factory is noticeably smoother and more linear in its delivery than my 03 RSV.

Totally agree! the 08 has lost some aggression and character for me anyway. i did put it down to age, mileage, chip on my 03 but having read this it sounds as if some change has been made..........bit of a rough and raw gal myself!:) galloping war horses and all that.:bump:

Batfastard
07-30-2008, 04:24 AM
Dr Jon.

Mostly true, the RSVR does have different intake stacks and I think the engine mapping is slightly different to allow it to produce a bit more poke higher up in the rev range. It gives the RSVR a better high speed - at the point where your head would have come off on a Tuono :)

Most of the difference between the power delivery on a Tuoldo and a Tunuo is down to the exhausts. If you go 2+2 you get a very linear and smooth power delivery. My Tuoldo has Akra's, Evo Airbox & PCIII, power and engine characteristics are pretty close to Liz's standard Tunuo.

Jaguar
07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
So, does that suggest that much of the difference I'm noticing between my Mille and my Factory is due to the Mille using a single system and the Factory a twin system? (Given that both have Akra cans).

Batfastard
07-31-2008, 04:00 AM
So, does that suggest that much of the difference I'm noticing between my Mille and my Factory is due to the Mille using a single system and the Factory a twin system? (Given that both have Akra cans).

Possibly. The single can exhausts have a "flat spot" on a dyno chart from 5-6k. The power climbs to 5k, levels off and then starts to climb again at 6k. It's what makes the Tuoldo feel so aggressive when you hit 6k. It can be cured with a modded link pipe, but a 2+2 exhaust just gives an almost straight line power chart.

The newer engine is more powerful, quoted 137 at the crank - about 125 at the rear wheel, and it does rev more freely - bigger intakes and valves etc.

On the old engine an Airbox mod - Rene or Evo, 2+2 exhaust and a PCIII and you are in the same ball park. Of course once you do the same to the new motor it will increase as well, making more power than the early engine.

The Dr.Jon
07-31-2008, 05:18 AM
The Gen II Tuono Factory and the RSVR have 57mm throttle bodies and bigger valves than the standard Gen 2.

Whilst the engine on the Gen 2 has more oooomph, the Gen 1 has more character....to quote Bike magazine on the original RSV engine:

"Gruntier than a bean fed pig!":happy:

Batfastard
07-31-2008, 10:29 AM
From 07 (07.5 US) the Tuono R had the same engine as the Factory.

I think it's;
51mm TB's Mille & Tuoldo, (except CE replica)
54mm RSVR 04-07 Tunuo 06 (07 US) non factory models
57mm from then on.

Eeeee it's like top trumps all over again. :happy:

current published figures are Tunuo 139 hp, RSVR 143hp - longer intake stacks give better high rev power.

:cheers: