PDA

View Full Version : gutless at low revs

olly_richman
07-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi,
Have an rs50 04 model that I have just changed the main bearings in.
It seems to be very gutless at low revs say between 3-6k, It is a de-restriced standard bike, It starts and ticks over nicely and rides fine above 6k but between 3-6 there is nothing there.

Any help much appreciated,
cheers,
olly

01dabreoo
07-20-2008, 01:56 PM
It's called a 2 stroke ;).

Do you mean a flat spot or just the lack of power from a 2t?

Rs50_2007kris
07-20-2008, 01:58 PM
haha, every rs50 is, its life, you should just keep it above 7000rpm if you want the power, which is what i tend to do.. and if you're having problems with 1st gear and it being really sluggish then just hold the clutch for longer till the revs are higher and your pull off will be quicker.

olly_richman
07-20-2008, 02:32 PM
yeah, i have checked and cleaned the carb, it has a 74mj which i think is standard for an 04 model ?,
i had a go on another 04 rs50 and it seems a bit more lively at low revs that was the only reason i was wondering,
The restrictor has been removed from the reed block as, but i dont think that should make a difference because the engine will only draw what it needs.
The only other thing I could think of is the exhaust but like i said, it seems to run well enough at high revs, so i cant see it being blocked.
cheers for your replies

bourney2007
07-20-2008, 05:23 PM
yeah, i have checked and cleaned the carb, it has a 74mj which i think is standard for an 04 model ?,
i had a go on another 04 rs50 and it seems a bit more lively at low revs that was the only reason i was wondering,
The restrictor has been removed from the reed block as, but i dont think that should make a difference because the engine will only draw what it needs.
The only other thing I could think of is the exhaust but like i said, it seems to run well enough at high revs, so i cant see it being blocked.
cheers for your replies

Removing the restrictor from the reed block was a bad move.

All 50cc's are gutless at low revs, well they are gutless at any revs lol

01dabreoo
07-21-2008, 05:06 AM
The 'restrictor' in the reed cage is there to smoothen out the air. Removing it will actually decrease performance unless you have a larger carb.