PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating/rattling noise

LKB3rd
07-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Ok, I am getting close to being all questioned out, so don't worry... :)
So now, my scoot is running really well, it seems to be improving in speed and response the more I ride it, the sputtering appears to be cured, BUT
I get a vibrating rattling noise that I have a hard time pinpointing where it is coming from. It sounds like it might be coming from the variator area, or possible out of the exhaust. It happens when I apply throttle.
Are there any places I should check for loosening up? I used to work as a bicycle mechanic, and on certain new parts you'd need to adjust and tighten after they settled in when new. Any thoughts on this? It has 500 or so miles on it, and I changed the gear oil myself and didn't take it in for its 312 mile maintenance, because they said it would cost $100 dollars, and frankly that irritates me.
Thanks in advance

MisterSprinkles
07-18-2008, 05:34 PM
So now, my scoot is running really well, it seems to be improving in speed and response the more I ride it, the sputtering appears to be cured, BUT
I get a vibrating rattling noise that I have a hard time pinpointing where it is coming from. It sounds like it might be coming from the variator area, or possible out of the exhaust. It happens when I apply throttle.
Are there any places I should check for loosening up? I used to work as a bicycle mechanic, and on certain new parts you'd need to adjust and tighten after they settled in when new. Any thoughts on this? It has 500 or so miles on it, and I changed the gear oil myself and didn't take it in for its 312 mile maintenance, because they said it would cost $100 dollars, and frankly that irritates me.
Thanks in advance

300 mile service is just a gear oil change anyways basically so no worries.

The vibrating sound is hard to pinpoint. You have the stock exhaust?

If you take the variator cover off and run the bike on the stand is the sound louder?

Does the belt run really smoothly? Is it jumping around at all?

Check for flipped roller weights?

LKB3rd
07-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey thanks for the ideas. I should add more info. I just took a spin to the store and can add: It happens basically during the same times that the sputter used to happen. During acceleration and when going up a hill. Basically under the heaviest load. I am just noticing it now, because it was probably masked before by the uneven sputtery running of the engine under the same conditions. I am wondering if it is some sort of "junior sputter" or if something is happening in the drive train somewhere that causes it to make this noise under the heaviest load. It also happens a little bit when I let off of the throttle, and am letting it slow down from high speed.
I haven't run it with the variator cover off. It has a little gear wheel that is on an axle that is held by the cover, so I am not sure I could do this without thrashing that thing around. I did throttle it up on the stand, and it didn't do it, which got me to thinking maybe it's the same issue that previously caused the rough running sputter, where a load on the engine makes it misbehave.
edit: yes stock exhaust. Everything is stock, except that I removed the variator ring, and the air intake restrictor. It did it before the v ring removal, so I am pretty sure I didn't mess up/ change anything that would be responsible there.

MisterSprinkles
07-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Can you try the following please:

93 octane gas+

CR7EIX

&

ZMR7AP

&

CR8EK

&

CPR8E

&

CPR7E

I have solved similar issues to what I believe you are talking about through spark plug changing and a high quality fuel.

Also make sure to gap the spark plug to 0.9mm. A $6 spark plug gapper will do.

LKB3rd
07-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I use 93 octane gas, and a cr7eix indexed so that the ground electrode blocks the spray. I guess I could try a different plug.
tnx again for the ideas

MisterSprinkles
07-18-2008, 06:26 PM
I use 93 octane gas, and a cr7eix indexed so that the ground electrode blocks the spray. I guess I could try a different plug.
tnx again for the ideas

Try a CR8EK non indexed first then a CPR8E then CPR7E.

Who's 93 you using?

Lets stay away from indexing during this test so you get ideal rich pocket detonation

.::sTocKSr5O::.
07-18-2008, 06:29 PM
This happened on my scoot a few weeks ago! It feels like it is missing, running rough, YES ???

CHECK your BELT for signs of wear / frayed edge. You may have to take it OFF to look properly.

MisterSprinkles
07-18-2008, 06:30 PM
This happened on my scoot a few weeks ago! It feels like it is missing, running rough, YES ???

CHECK your BELT for signs of wear / frayed edge. You may have to take it OFF to look properly.

you may want to do that- a 'happy' belt should return to near 'round' when you take it off and leave it to its own devices

.::sTocKSr5O::.
07-18-2008, 06:32 PM
INSERT Previous post in PINK by SPRINKLES but he changed itThere you go... 2 of us have spoken :)

When you take the belt off, if it is frayed, just trim it flush to the edge.

06spidey2
07-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks in advance

Mine did the same thing some time ago. I took the belt off, noticed some gumming on the variator, so I cleaned it all up, and it went away. Very easy to do, too.

tstodda
07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I have this exact situation on my new 07, I am almost positive it is the belt, but anyways its in the shop and I asked them to look at it. Ill let you know what they tell me. I have high hopes for the dealer and not sure why exactly...

LKB3rd
07-19-2008, 04:56 PM
The belt/variator suggestions are hitting home, and after getting those, I have noticed that is does do it during the times that it is up or downshifting. Tomorow I am going to take off the variator/clutch cover and have a look.
Thanks to all again

blue rocket
07-19-2008, 08:36 PM
The belt/variator suggestions are hitting home, and after getting those, I have noticed that is does do it during the times that it is up or downshifting. Tomorow I am going to take off the variator/clutch cover and have a look.
Thanks to all again

listen to the exhaust and make sure its not some exhaust noises...it could sound like rattling, but its just the exhaust.