PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Loan Bike

Batfastard
07-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Just back at my desk, after dropping my Tuoldo in for it's MOT (3 years old already :eek:) and an annual service etc.

I asked for a loan bike to get back home on, didn't ask for anything specific, and they have loaned me a Z750.

What a piece of crap. (OK it's free - had enough fuel - so it does the job)

Last month they loaned me a YZ1 or something Yamaha 1000 naked, that I thought was pretty pants, but this is really, truly, awful to ride.

There is no adjustment on either brake or clutch lever, no feel on either, so braking and setting off are abysmal. The suspension is pathetic. The forks feel like a pair of broom handles would do a better job, I thought I had dropped it on a roundabout leaving town, when the front slid out from under me on a camber change + overbanding. It steers slightly better than the Exxon Valdize, but they actually hit Alaska didn't they?

I have only revved it to about 7-8k - it sounds like it's going to explode to my ears - too used to the V-Twin soul to get into I4's again. Even at those revs, it vibrates like hell, giving tingling fingers and feet, it has a 12k redline, but since I am on private dental care I had better not try that or I will need a mouthful of fresh fillings.

It is probably ok around town, but on the 20 mile ride back home it really showed it's limitations. On the way out to the dealers on my Tuoldo I was having to remind myself to ease up, with the DB killers back in the Akra's I found myself seriously underestimating my speed approaching corners etc. Although big up to the MG TF driver who flashed to warn me of the radar gun weilding traffic officer in Great Limber - passed him still doing 42 in a 40 and got a nod, so hopefully no prizes. :rolleyes: Whole journey took me about 25 minutes, via the twisty route, and including the 30 mph plod into Grimsby. Returning home, I quickly decided to stick to the dual carriageway, but even negotiating the roundabouts soon showed how woeful the handling is.

If this bike was some new rider's first taste of a big bike, no wonder they trade them in for Hardley Movinsons, or give up all together.

I spent 15 minutes in the shop looking at all the bright and shiney new stuff, and this bike has single handedly convinced me to stick with the Tuoldo until spring at the earliest, and probably well beyond.

ARAIHEAD
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
B/F, glad you're pleased with it, i told him to loan you that model!!:eek::bump:

Batfastard
07-16-2008, 09:19 AM
B/F, glad you're pleased with it, i told him to loan you that model!!:eek::bump:

Figures.

It's fat, it wallows, and it doesn't Narr were the feck it's going. :happy::bump:

ARAIHEAD
07-16-2008, 09:24 AM
It's fat, it wallows, and it doesn't Narr were the feck it's going. :happy::bump:

Thats what the bike is gonna tell the dealer when you return it!!!!:eek::bump::happy:

Batfastard
07-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Thats what the bike is gonna tell the dealer when you return it!!!!:eek::bump::happy:
:bump::happy::cheers: Feck off. :rolleyes:

Took it back and picked up the Tuna.

I can't quite put my finger on why, but it really doesn't turn well. It seems to need loads of input on the bars, and the front feels like it's on the verge of tucking on corners.

Rode my bike home via the twistys, I think the spanner monkey had given the saddle a quick wipe, I was sliding about the seat like a good un, nearly squashed me nads under braking. Set off from the fuel station and slid straight to the back of the saddle, which opened the throttle fully in first, wound up lofting the front wheel past an oncoming cop car. :bangwall::rolleyes:

So Jon Faceslider - tell the court your seat was slippery ----- it might work.

Chris_Mag
07-16-2008, 01:06 PM
It's a Kawasaki. They specialize in building oil tankers. 'Nuff said.

I had the pleasure to ride a Daytona 675 for the 2nd time last night... first real ride. We clipped along Skyline, a twisty ridge line 2 lane outside Portland at dusk. It's a really fun bike... neutral handling, good brakes, fun motor with a good bit of torque, but not peaky. If I could have a 2nd bike, the D675 would be on my short list for sure.

The Dr.Jon
07-17-2008, 02:23 AM
It's a Kawasaki. They specialize in building oil tankers. 'Nuff said.

ZX10r aint no oil tanker.

BF, what did you expect from a z750? It's like comparing the Tuono with a Shiver FFS?:confused:

Batfastard
07-17-2008, 03:05 AM
ZX10r aint no oil tanker.

BF, what did you expect from a z750? It's like comparing the Tuono with a Shiver FFS?:confused:

Not really comparing them, and I assume a Shiver goes around corners?

Liz used to have a Hornet 600, it was actually a real hoot to ride, good fun, turned almost by thought etc. Why is a Kwak 750 such a barge then?

I was just commenting on what it was llike to ride, if I am back there again I think I'll ask for one of the Ape demo bikes, maybe try out a Mana or something,

The Dr.Jon
07-17-2008, 09:06 AM
The Mana is great fun in the city, but would be pants where you live and would even get boring in the city. For an 850 it has very little power....:burnout:

windy
07-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Not really comparing them, and I assume a Shiver goes around corners?

Why is a Kwak 750 such a barge then?,

Just a thought but did they check the tyre pressure before they loaned it to you. I had a Kawaski ZXR1200 and for what it was it handled quite well, even at Croft but lose a few pounds of pressure from the front and it very quickly turned into a barge.

windy

edit, and if it lost more than a few pounds of pressure you nearly had to get off and coax it round the corner......

Batfastard
07-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Just a thought but did they check the tyre pressure before they loaned it to you. I had a Kawaski ZXR1200 and for what it was it handled quite well, even at Croft but lose a few pounds of pressure from the front and it very quickly turned into a barge.

windy

edit, and if it lost more than a few pounds of pressure you nearly had to get off and coax it round the corner......

TBH Martin, sorry, Wendy, sorry I mean Windy, :)
I just got on it and rode home. It scared the bejesus out of me at the first roundabout leaving town, so I opted for the dual carriageway route. It needed so much steering though, and it wasn't having any of this countersteer malarky - it just went straight on :confused:

windy
07-17-2008, 09:54 AM
TBH Martin, sorry, Wendy, sorry I mean Windy, :)
I just got on it and rode home. It scared the bejesus out of me at the first roundabout leaving town, so I opted for the dual carriageway route. It needed so much steering though, and it wasn't having any of this countersteer malarky - it just went straight on :confused:

Yep, no air in the front, ring'um up and tell'um to get it sorted or the next guy might ride into a tree....:mad:

Batfastard
07-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Well.

Apparantly it was correctly pressured, "we check all our demo bikes on a daily basis" (like feck.:rolleyes:)

Anyway they have a bike night thing going on up at Cadwell tonight and it's up there with all the other demo bikes, so hopefully they will check it out.

I've ridden my T with about 25psi in the front - steering was soggy but still ok, must be a geometry thing.

Shame if it had been last night it might have been worth the trip, rather damp around these parts at the mo.