PDA

View Full Version : Not your Typical Performance Question

JLF
07-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Many of you know that last weekend I made the jump from my RSVR Mille to a new SR Factory.

My 'R' was fairly trick with a lot of extra go fast stuff and carbon fiber on it.

I had thought to do the same to my new Factory... But it doesnt seem like there is anything available?!

I know, in America at least, Scooters are marketed as economical and not necessarily a performance life style choice. Although Aprilia certainly has that angle, and does NOT portray their Scooters as boring, like say the Chinese companys.

Where is all the Carbon Fiber body panels?

Fender Eliminator Kits? (I made my own tonight)

Etc, et all, and so on?!

It seems its limited to the engine, and rear shock.

Im wondering if there are companys in Italy maybe who do this sort of modifications?

I remember seeing someone here with a SR that looked like it was set up for racing. It was orange.

Id like to know how much weight can be removed from an SR and still be a comfortable street legal ride?

How about Levers from CRG? Or Master Cylinders from ISR or Brembo?

Maybe CRG Bar End Mirrors to replace the huge stock mirrors?

Id love to start swapping out body panels for Carbon Fiber!

Is it because Scooters are mostly 'budget' transportation that there is no market for these things?

If I had the access to prototyping, Id start my own business!

Has anyone any ideas to share or photos of amazing Scooters youve seen?

MisterSprinkles
07-13-2008, 01:18 AM
You might be able to find fiberglass panels for your SR. I doubt you'll find carbon fiber. Overall you'd only eliminate maybe the equivalent to a half tank of gas if you replaced all panels. You could do the same with a really big bowel movement and a 1/3 full gas tank.

Bar end mirrors should not be a problem. The grips are standard size and interchangeable and obviously you already know how to do this kinda stuff so go for it.

As per different front ends etc, of course they are readily available, however the overall weight savings of these is relatively negligable.

Your average street scooter rider is a very different person from your average sport biker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9xD2-Clv0Q&feature=related

This is the average scooter mod. Pretty. Not light.

There is however at 30 seconds a completely redone SR here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7FmhsSOMpM&feature=related

you can only tell it by the wheels, wheel base and air intake for the rad. Totally re-done.
Another SR at 1:18 appears to have had the engine and tranny replaced with something vastly more substantial.

JLF
07-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Cool thanks!

Ive been looking around here quite a bit and digging for any info and knowledge I can get my hands on....

Thanks to member SMARTBOMB and his amazing SR, Ive got a few leads for the direction Im wanting to take mine.

In fact, I just ordered a Carbon Fiber front fender from PM in the UK.

Kinda freaked about it, because the website didnt quote me a price for shipping!

High Gain Tuning
07-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Your average street scooter rider is a very different person from your average sport biker.

What's that make me?

Some days I feel like taking the Busa to work, some days the SR50.

Reminds me of the Almound Joy / Mounds commercial.
Some days you feel like a nut, some days you don't... :cheers:

JLF
07-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Great photo~!

Yeah I agree... I like the challenge of having a fast scooter and riding it, throttle pinned everywhere.

Its fun in a way that riding a Superbike like a lunatic could never be. Cause you'd be dead.

That PM Tuning site has some amazing stuff!

I think Im going to be dropping some serious dough with them over this coming Winter. (While the bike is off the road and in heated storage).

Quantum
07-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Hi,

Thanks to member SMARTBOMB and his amazing SR, Ive got a few leads for the direction Im wanting to take mine.
In fact, I just ordered a Carbon Fiber front fender from PM in the UK.

Could you please be a little more specific about the URL of the shop you ordered the parts?
In return I can direct you to evotech-performance.co.uk who offer a well build tail tidy/fender eliminator for the SR50.

As I'm new to this forum and this is my first post (after reading for some time) let me introduce myself in short.
I'm from Berlin, the capital of Germany and make my living by administration of a campus computer network. Until recent I have been driving an ATV which is lots of fun, but is not the best choice for big city traffic. So I switched to a SR50 Factory and as far as I can tell by now it was a good choice.

bye
Quantum

williamr
07-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Many of you know that last weekend I made the jump from my RSVR Mille to a new SR Factory.

My 'R' was fairly trick with a lot of extra go fast stuff and carbon fiber on it.

I had thought to do the same to my new Factory... But it doesnt seem like there is anything available?!

I know, in America at least, Scooters are marketed as economical and not necessarily a performance life style choice. Although Aprilia certainly has that angle, and does NOT portray their Scooters as boring, like say the Chinese companys.

Where is all the Carbon Fiber body panels?

Fender Eliminator Kits? (I made my own tonight)

Etc, et all, and so on?!

It seems its limited to the engine, and rear shock.

Im wondering if there are companys in Italy maybe who do this sort of modifications?

I remember seeing someone here with a SR that looked like it was set up for racing. It was orange.

Id like to know how much weight can be removed from an SR and still be a comfortable street legal ride?

How about Levers from CRG? Or Master Cylinders from ISR or Brembo?

Maybe CRG Bar End Mirrors to replace the huge stock mirrors?

Id love to start swapping out body panels for Carbon Fiber!

Is it because Scooters are mostly 'budget' transportation that there is no market for these things?

If I had the access to prototyping, Id start my own business!

Has anyone any ideas to share or photos of amazing Scooters youve seen?

???

I can understand having a 50 as a runabout when using the bike isn't appropriate. I've done that.

I can understand getting rid of the bike because it's no longer needed, or no longer enjoyed, and getting a 50 as local transport. I've done that - for about a week.

I can't understand getting rid of a bike, buying a 50 and then trying to make it into some sort of substitute bike. Not a 50. Why not just get a bigger scoot if you want faster? I've done that as well. No hassle, great fun riding flat out all the time, and usefully faster than you'll ever get a 50 to go - especially when you meet a hill.

Rob

MisterSprinkles
07-15-2008, 08:08 AM
I can't understand getting rid of a bike, buying a 50 and then trying to make it into some sort of substitute bike. Not a 50. Why not just get a bigger scoot if you want faster? I've done that as well. No hassle, great fun riding flat out all the time, and usefully faster than you'll ever get a 50 to go - especially when you meet a hill.

Rob

We're crazy.

We like to hear "How many cc is that"

"50"

"What no way"

"Ya"

congobongo
07-16-2008, 02:37 AM
i've had two people both say, "does it really go 120??" refering to the "12" on the tachymeter.

i just say "yes" because when the mods are done i hope to have a 120kmph scooter. it's fun to dream.

yeah you can barrell these sscoots anywhere, they are bucketloads more agile than a large sport bike, they can be flicked and squeezed nearly everywhere i've needed to get around. so much fun. they are small enough to be overlooked when going through bollards and across footpaths, but fast enough to do some serious commuting on them. i love my sr50.

Strong Bad
07-17-2008, 08:48 AM
JLF,

You could employ a Brembo 19x16 on either end for a brake master cylinder, though, you're going to need to remove a little plastic to make that stuff fit. Take measure of the brake line, call up Spiegler and have them build a nice set of custom lines, front and rear, for about $100.

You can find some really trick stuff over at sipscootershop.com, from complete brake kits (sans master cylinder) to slick tires. Just do lots of searching, it's out there. :D

JLF
07-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Great feedback and info!

Thanks everyone!

(Welcome aboard Quantum!)

Yeah its fun to modify stuff... I have the fever, always have... Make anything go faster just because its there, sitting in my garage just asking for it.

My SR isnt dedicated transportation, so I can afford to be a bit wild with it.

I talked with a custom shop that makes carbon fiber yesterday about taking molds from my SR body work and seeing if we can make up some stuff. I only got blank stares back....

Some people get it, others dont. Thats fine... its a big world. Ive got no problem with differences of opinion.

My newest idea is taking all the nuts and bolts to a Titanium supplier to see what I can match up.

I'll keep digging on the research and see what else I can come up with!

Strong Bad
07-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Keep me abreast of what you come up with. I'm going to pick up an Ohlins shock for my SR at the Mid-Ohio AMA event in a couple weeks. If you're ever in the pits, check out the Ohlins tech guys' scooters, they're all done up with their brand of suspension tech stuff. I'll get ya a part number if you like.

For fasteners, look check out these guys (http://www.tastynuts.com/site/frameset.htm). They're over in the UK, but will lovingly ship metal across the pond. They've got kits for most Aprilias, so I'm sure you could simply grab one for say, a Mille, and supplant everything onto the SR as you see fit. I actually have a red egral bolt kit on my scooter which (in 2001) was in the Aprilia catalog.

Ah, so much a'do ...

extrashot
07-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I hate you StrongBad... I've been lusting after an Aprilia/Ergal set in blue but they're impossible to find. ProBolt/TastyNuts has some sweet stuff though...

MisterSprinkles
07-17-2008, 04:09 PM
JLF SAID

I talked with a custom shop that makes carbon fiber yesterday about taking molds from my SR body work and seeing if we can make up some stuff. I only got blank stares back....

Dude keep looking. If you made a pure black SR with absolutely every single panel and both the mudguards in carbon fiber it'd look so rediculously cool!

If you have the means- then by all means go for it. The worst that'll happen is you'll have the coolest looking scooter ever...

JLF
07-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Strong Bad... OHLINS?! On an SR?! YES Please! Get me a part number!

I was going to get the one everyone here has, all the time dreaming of an Ohlins option. I had the 'R' Mille, so I had that stuff on it as stock. Im a fan.... Not sure I even ride good enough to tell the difference even!

Ha! Maybe its all placebo effect, but hey; it looks killer anyway! :)

I'll check that link for Ti stuff too...

I had a red ergal kit on my RSVR as well.... I wish I could find another kit, but yeah mega rare these days.

Mr. S.... Its not like Ive got endless bags of money.... but I did just get rid of my RSVR, and assorted parts, stands, etc. So part of that is my SR fund, my means to an end.

I agree... an all carbon SR would be a work of art!

MisterSprinkles
07-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Strong Bad... OHLINS?! On an SR?! YES Please! Get me a part number!

I was going to get the one everyone here has, all the time dreaming of an Ohlins option. I had the 'R' Mille, so I had that stuff on it as stock. Im a fan.... Not sure I even ride good enough to tell the difference even!

Ha! Maybe its all placebo effect, but hey; it looks killer anyway! :)

I'll check that link for Ti stuff too...

I had a red ergal kit on my RSVR as well.... I wish I could find another kit, but yeah mega rare these days.

Mr. S.... Its not like Ive got endless bags of money.... but I did just get rid of my RSVR, and assorted parts, stands, etc. So part of that is my SR fund, my means to an end.

I agree... an all carbon SR would be a work of art!

I also suggest that you get the spoiler set (this slots in where the front of the foot rests are, you know how there's that V shaped "Gap" there on the sides? The spoilers wrap around that and deflect air around your feet. If you did those in carbon fiber it would alter (for the better) the entire perceived look of the bike.

Honestly though man go for it. All carbon Fiber SR, chrome transmission cover (available) bluish HID headlights, an LED tail-light and the LED turn signals that go 'blink blink blink' sequentially out towards the direction you're indicating. Absolute work of art.

JLF
07-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Looks like the Pro Bolt 'Full Monty Kit' for the RSVR is about $265 with the exchange rate formula they provide.

Their price including VAT, whatever that is; sales tax? Multiplied by 1.90.

Its available in a ton of colors!

Orange even! Not sure how good that would look, but it would match my graphics....

Gold is what I would probably get to match the Ohlins rear shock.... :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/homefrommaui/FULLMONTYKITRSVR.jpg

Strong Bad
07-18-2008, 09:41 AM
VAT is value-added tax. Different types of items have different tax tables applied to them. At least, this is my understanding.

Believe me, the scooter could use a rear shock. The OE piece has no rebound damping at all, so the thing tends to porpoise while bombing through neighborhoods at a respectable clip. Which, is fun, don't get me wrong. :D Over bumps too, the thing just freezes up on the compression side and then throws ya out of the seat on the rebound stroke.

A new shock - any shock - will make for noticeable improvement.

JLF
07-18-2008, 11:04 AM
I emailed Ohlins directly last night to see what they could do for our SR50's...

Here is what they wrote me this morning:

Thank you for your email. The ÷hlins shocks we have on our scooters are from a snowmobile. We just looked for a close fitting shock & went with it. We first gathered some technical information from the stock shocks. Eye to eye length & bolt hole size & width (top & bottom). We picked a shock that would be of a similar size & then modified it further to fit the scooter. Not officially designed by ÷hlins Sweden but thy work great (& look cool too!).

If youíd like to try this with your scooter you could send us a few pictures first & then some dimensions. If it looks like something we can build, we will have you send in a sample stock shock so we can correctly measure it here.

Price will vary depending on what we use. An entry level shock set of shocks will cost approx $580.00 a pair.

Thank you, Jerry

I know we dont need a 'pair' of shocks... So maybe the pricing might be a bit better than $580?

TiminIndy
07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
We have a forum member, Dragster Pilota (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/member.php?u=553), who is a dealer from Sweden. Perhaps he could get with Ohlins about the specifications for an SR50 shock, or possibly test one for them. He is one of the most knowledgeable people there is on the Ditech and has contacts in Noale.

High Gain Tuning
07-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Unless youíre a sanctioned racer, I can't see spending the money on Ohlinís shocks for a < $3,000 scooter. Front forks and rear shock for my Busa cost as much as the SR50 cost me. :rolleyes:

Strong Bad
07-18-2008, 01:51 PM
... I know we dont need a 'pair' of shocks... So maybe the pricing might be a bit better than $580?

Yep, that's what Keith Tompson (local Ohlins guy) did with his Zuma. He found something with an eye-to-eye length that worked for his setup. I've seen an SR50 with a nice Ohlins piggyback shock that was ridden by one of the techs at the AMA weekend.

Unless youíre a sanctioned racer, I can't see spending the money on Ohlinís shocks for a < $3,000 scooter. Front forks and rear shock for my Busa cost as much as the SR50 cost me. :rolleyes:

I hear ya, between a TTX shock and the 25mm fork kit, there's quite a bit more money in the race bike than the cost of the scooter. So what? I don't have much, but I like having the best, be it the laptop, scooter or the racebike, it's gotta be the best. :D

JLF
07-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Ha! I agree....

Having the best is very cool... Might have to save for it, but thats ok.

I dont want to take my shock off and send it to Ohlins during the Summer... So I told them that Id be happy to do that this Winter when its raining.

Although if that member in Europe can talk with them about specs... Id buy one right now!

Besides... since I am down to just the SR now... I dont mind investing in some fun stuff for it!

Now... about those forks?! Has anyone done anything with them?

High Gain Tuning
07-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't know if Ohlin's will but from what I have seen in other manufacturers is they price their products accordinly to the bike. I highly doubt the forks and rear shock will be priced for a $20,000 sport bike.

Look at the LeoVince chrome pipe... That could have been priced much higher. The Aprilia rear racing shock works much better than stock and is only $159.00 but the front forks need a lot of help.

The thing is, there has to be a market for it before they will spends tens of thousands in R&D and put there name on it.

Strong Bad
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Now... about those forks?! Has anyone done anything with them?

I put Yamaha 10W fork fluid in my forks and that helped the bottoming a lot. :D

JLF
07-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Fork fluids a start!

While its in getting the ECU reprogrammed, I think I'll have Motocorsa do that too... If I dont get to it first.

My travel schedule might not give me enough time before then.

JLF
07-19-2008, 02:06 PM
So I was thinking this morning, if Ohlins is just going with another application with a near eye to eye measurement for a rear shock....

Then what is stopping us from doing the same thing?

I just looked on ebay, and there are a ton of WP, Paioli, Fox shocks just waiting to be bought up by SR50 owners!

My thoughts are, to get one that can either be adjusted with rebound and compression, or possibly even a high end shock that used, and have it fully rebuilt at a local shop. So that the specs more closely match what we need.

Can anyone think of a hang up in this idea that Ive overlooked?

Im thinking this as a cheaper way to get some good suspension.

JLF
07-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I know Im having a conversation with myself here, but I just got another idea! :happy:

On the RSVR's, some clip on's come with either alloy, Ti, or carbon fiber bars.

Has anyone torn down their SR far enough to see how the bars are attached?

Im wondering if the stock steel (heavy!) bars can be swapped out for something super light?

Might only save a pound at best, but any little bit would help the power to weight ratio.

Also, if this is done on the RSVR's, then there should be some advantage to it other than just another excuse to spend money... Right?

High Gain Tuning
07-19-2008, 03:12 PM
So I was thinking this morning, if Ohlinís is just going with another application with a near eye to eye measurement for a rear shock....

Then what is stopping us from doing the same thing?

That may be where they will start (body) but they will surely have to change spring rates and dampening for the light little SR50... Then there is the testing.

Trust me.. Ohlinís is not going to cross a shock over for the SR50 and put there reputable name on it... They will do it right if at all.