PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gear

RS50-Derby
07-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Alright, well ay 11:30pm on Wednesday my 2005 Aprilia RS50 arrived, it was a bit late to have a look at it then, but i woke up at 7 Thursday morning and was just sat on it for hours, familiarising myself.

Its everything i thought it would be and more. I am not 16 for another month yet, but i wanted it early as i am away for 2 weeks and wanted to get it sorted before i came back.

So, yesterday i started it up, its stock derestricted, but sounds much better than i thought it would be.

And i was reading the Aprilia Use and Maintainence manual and it explains pulling off i first, i already new the theory of it, just never tried it. I expected to stall a few times, and so i did.

Now, i pull the clutch in fully, and kick the lever down one and it stalls dead, as you would expect. So this morning i tried it with a few revs, only around 2k and it shot off, didnt stall...brilliant.

Was just wondering what everyone else does, what revs? etc as i dont wanna screw the bike up by over revving it or underrevving and stalling all the time, lol.

Here is the previous owners picture (Its RS Redline's old 50)

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/Alex5091/DSCF0333.jpg

Thanks
Liam

Rs50_2007kris
07-11-2008, 09:04 AM
you shouldnt have to rev it while you have the clutch in full? you pick the revs up as you let it out slowly

if the clutch is pulled in you should be able to have it in any gear standing still with just tick over revs.

williamr
07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Wait until you've completed your CBT.

You'll at least have an idea then.

As an exercise, keep the throttle constant - about 2,500 rpm, and ride at slow speed. Vary the speed by easing the clutch in and out a little bit without moving the throttle. You should be able to vary between a very slow walk and a fast walk. If you need to use a little brake, at this speed only use the rear. Gently.

When you can do this easily, use the skill to make tight turns, then move on to figure eights from full lock to full lock. You should be able to do about 5 in each direction before you need to put a foot down.

For braking, use the front brake with a little rear brake until you slow down towards walking speed. Then you should ease off the front brake and take the load on the rear to avoid the chance of a front wheel lock up. That would make you fall off. Practise accelerating up to 30 mph then braking, holding the clutch in but shifting down as you slow so that you've always got the correct gear for your speed selected.

You'll sort of do this on CBT, but not properly, so after the CBT, practise these exercises until you're good at them.

The stalling when you engage first at idle is due to oil sticking the clutch plates together just a little bit. It may be because the bike's not been used for a few weeks, but it should be OK once it's fully warmed up.

As you're only 16 (nearly) get it restricted before you take it on the road. You write as though you know that you'll have no licence or insurance for it, so don't do it. If you do, I hope that all sorts of really nasty things happen to you, including wrecking the bike and getting your balls ripped off. Very slowly.

Rob

RS50-Derby
07-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Well, after i posted it iwent and tried it again, cant get me off it.

And i got it fine, was just a bit of nerves i think.

Thanks for the advice both of you.

Rob, you surprise me more with every post you make. You are such a helpful guy, spending what must have been at least a couple of minutes of your time on me alone, just to go and basically wish me dead (for the second time since i joined here)

And Rob, it probably it is whatever you so kindly said about the oil, i have stalled it that often it hasnt had time to reach full operating temperature yet, also Rob, its on my own garden, and therefore is privately owned land, and therefore legal, even if the bike isnt for a 16 year old, ill take that risk.

On the restriction thing, my dad used to ride bikes back as a child he had a FS1E that as you would expect wasnt at all fast, he was crashed into by an impatient driver when he was doing 30mph in a 50 zone purely because of its inability to reach a safe speed.

Anyhow, i dont think i have seen a copper round here in ages, to be busy with our "Uncontrollable underage drinkers", that i am sure you can imagine a town with only 3000 people having such a huge problem with.

Cheers all the same.
Liam

01dabreoo
07-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Anyhow, i dont think i have seen a copper round here in ages, to be busy with our "Uncontrollable underage drinkers", that i am sure you can imagine a town with only 3000 people having such a huge problem with.

Tbh, if you ride responsibly police will have no reason to pull you over.
I passed poilice at 50mph with L plates without trouble ;)

Thats's not saying it's right to do so, nor do i promote it :plus:

luigi1991
07-11-2008, 10:08 AM
rob was an instructor.
listen to everything he has to say in regards to riding,
enjoy it when u get the chance to ride but take it slow.
even if ur friends all have them on the road already dont go and try to be rossi.
good luck

RS50-Derby
07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeh i know.

I think loads of practice off road (disused car park etc) that i have planned will hopefully see my own personal skills and comfort with the bike increase to the stage where i would be confident on road before the CBT.

Take the CBT and by then i should have no problems.

Besides, i havent bought the bike as a thrash about show off piece of gear, even though i will enjoy showing my mates it. I actually need the bike to get around on so i wont be doing anything stupid, my dad bangs on at me enough about it, but for once i actually listen to what he has said.

Cheers for the advice lads, its gonna be a long month waiting, but on the up side it is just more time to practice my skills and adjust to the bike.

Thanks
Liam

luigi1991
07-11-2008, 10:53 AM
in this month i suggest getting the panels offf and getting to know the bike a little better ready for when it goes wrong(its italian and a two stroke its going to!!)

RS50-Derby
07-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Good idea, were suffering from the typical shit Great British Summer.

Its only great if your a gardener, and even his plants drown.

Hopefully it will dry up tomorrow, and i might take your advice on that, get all the shit out of all the cracks i can.

By the way, my bike is currently outside under a cover (my actual bike cover is still hasnt arrived yet so my DPM Basha((If you dont know, dont ask or google it)) sheet is covering it with some other things. Well, its directly below my bedroom window on the second floor, is it natural to be able to smell the petrol (i assume) from up here after its been running?

Liam

luigi1991
07-11-2008, 11:02 AM
depends if uve been running it under ur window.
also make sure uve turned the fuel tap off because they can leak out of the overflow if u dont.VERY annoying to find all ur fuel has gone because u left the tap on over night

RS50-Derby
07-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Better to go change that now then.

yeh it was sat running under my window and the window was open, im not bothered though, i like the smell.

bourney2007
07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Sorry i havn't read all the posts, so sorry if i repeat anything.

Basically mate these bikes use a wet clutch. So when left overnight all the oil settles at the bottom. It happens to me a few times, start the bike up, pull the clutch in and it stalls. I find that starting it back up (in neutral) revving it a bit (don't rev the bollocks off it) and then putting it in first works.

This gets asked alot (what revs to pull off at etc). First of all just get the feel for where your clutch 'bite' is. To find this start it up, pull the clutch in and flick it in first. Now slowly let the clutch out. When you hear the revs drop (or the bike stall) thats where your clutch bite is.
You can pull off at any revs. Don't worry about the revs just get used to pulling off first. Once you've got the basic jist of how the clutch works then you can start doing things like slipping the clutch. I do it nearly all the time when pulling off from junctions.

EDIT- Just read your post luigi. How does that work then? (fuel flowing out of the overflow if you leave the tap on). I don't think i've ever turned mine off. Never seen any fuel come out, or any on the floor in the morning.
Actually saying that the floor of my garage is concrete (not painted) so it absorbs the petrol very quikcly. I know because i've split some before now when draining my tank.

luigi1991
07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
well my motox bike does it,
the old 50 used to aswell.

bourney2007
07-11-2008, 12:54 PM
well my motox bike does it,
the old 50 used to aswell.

do you know why?

Just interested not having a go or anything.

mx50boy
07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
If the float works as it should in the carb then you shouldn’t lose any fuel.
But some times the float sticks open then fuel does run out of the over flow.