PDA

View Full Version : 2005 RX50 Rattling noise on idle

ConanJeff
07-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi All,

We just viewed and test drove an 2005 RX50 11642km on clock great condition etc. Only concern is that when we started her up as she was idling there was this sort of rough rattling sound coming from the engine area ! now I have never dealt with two strokes before so I dont know if this rattling type sound is just a typical characteristic of the two stroke engine ? anyway when we test drove this noise disappeared and the drive was smooth and gear change smooth all ok! then whne we returned to idle tickover the rattle resumed. The owner said the bike had the same rattle when they bought it a year ago, and his son 16 at the time has riden it for a year with no problems ! He said he'd take it into a local Aprilia dealer to get it checked out and let me know. Can anyone confirm if this ratlling noise at idle is just normal Aprilia two stroke engine noises and that nothings about to come loose inside engine ? your answers are greatly appreciated !
Thanks,, Jeff.

Rs50_2007kris
07-08-2008, 11:04 AM
It's hard to be 100% sure of what noise you mean, when describing it on the net, need to be able to hear it really.. but 2strokes do make a kind of rattling,tingy noise when ticking over.. just depends what you mean really.

luigi1991
07-08-2008, 12:16 PM
it shouldnt rattle,
it could be as simple as a loose engine mount but it could be as big as an engine bearing problem.

mx50boy
07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
it could be the little end that has some play in it that is making it rattle

gavyn
07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi mate, i have the same problem as you with my rs50 (same engine), i found out its the balance shaft but havent split the engine yet so cant confirm exactly what the problem is will keep you updated.

atvb

Gavyn

RS01
07-09-2008, 06:04 PM
mine had always had a sound at about 1300rpm, runs sweet though. Sometimes if u pull the clutch in itl stop, thats normal. Mine rattles anyway but had been fine. It doesnt sound unhealthy

maxiboi247
08-20-2008, 03:42 PM
could be a loose generator shaft my dads kwak had this problem/
a bolt had loosened and the generator impellor shaft was rattling like f**k it sounded like fucked bearings

bourney2007
08-20-2008, 03:51 PM
could be a loose generator shaft my dads kwak had this problem/
a bolt had loosened and the generator impellor shaft was rattling like f**k it sounded like fucked bearings

these bikes don't have a generator. So i doubt it would be that:rolleyes:

mx50boy
08-20-2008, 03:52 PM
these bikes don't have a generator. So i doubt it would be that:rolleyes:

what do you think charges the battery then?

bourney2007
08-20-2008, 03:53 PM
what do you think charges the battery then?

stator

maxiboi247
08-20-2008, 03:53 PM
:rolleyes:o yeh i new that i was just testing ya

mx50boy
08-20-2008, 03:54 PM
stator

same thing

bourney2007
08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
same thing

ah right.

Bollocks, now i look a twat lol.

MyApril
08-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi All,

We just viewed and test drove an 2005 RX50 11642km on clock great condition etc. Only concern is that when we started her up as she was idling there was this sort of rough rattling sound coming from the engine area ! now I have never dealt with two strokes before so I dont know if this rattling type sound is just a typical characteristic of the two stroke engine ? anyway when we test drove this noise disappeared and the drive was smooth and gear change smooth all ok! then whne we returned to idle tickover the rattle resumed. The owner said the bike had the same rattle when they bought it a year ago, and his son 16 at the time has riden it for a year with no problems ! He said he'd take it into a local Aprilia dealer to get it checked out and let me know. Can anyone confirm if this ratlling noise at idle is just normal Aprilia two stroke engine noises and that nothings about to come loose inside engine ? your answers are greatly appreciated !
Thanks,, Jeff.

hey jeff i think i know what your talking about. its not a nut loose rattling sound but something else right? i also have a sound that comes from my bike at idle and i heard that it is okay and thats how 2 strokes may sound. just like you whenever i get going the sound is gone. i wouldnt worry since i also asked a lot of people and they said it was nothing. hope this helps.