PDA

View Full Version : manual mode questions

groovymaster
07-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I haven't used manual mode yet. I just recently figured out that the MODE button which toggles between touring - sport - rain mappings can be switched to manual by holding the button down. Oddly, if I'm in Sport and switch to Sport Manual and then switch out of manual it toggles to Touring automatic (rather than Sport automatic) unless I'm doing something wrong?

QUESTIONS:
* If I'm in Manual 4th pseudo-gear and stop without shifting down will the bike stall? If not, and you start off from a start in 4th-gear will it act like you are easing out the clutch in 4th and creap forward or stall or does the transmission automatically revert to 1st pseudo-gear from a stop?

* Is Sport Manual actually faster than Sport automatic?

I just wanted to get a handle on what to expect before I take the bike out into traffic using the Manual setting.

pete roper
07-07-2008, 10:47 PM
QUESTIONS:
* If I'm in Manual 4th pseudo-gear and stop without shifting down will the bike stall? If not, and you start off from a start in 4th-gear will it act like you are easing out the clutch in 4th and creap forward or stall or does the transmission automatically revert to 1st pseudo-gear from a stop?

* Is Sport Manual actually faster than Sport automatic?

I just wanted to get a handle on what to expect before I take the bike out into traffic using the Manual setting.

My understanding is that if you try to take it below the acceptable road speed for any selected gear it will automatically select the required 'Psuedo-gear' (Nice term, I like it!) when the throttle is opened again. As I say though, that's my understanding. Not first hand experience. And no, it shouldn't 'Creep' as once the RPM's drop below about (?) 1,500 I think the centrifugal clutch will simply disengage as it does in 'Touring' mode when you come to a standstill.

My understanding was that 'Sport' was the 'Manual' function and 'Touring' the 'Automatic' one. I wasn't aware of a 'Manual Touring' option but perhaps I've got it wrong. I'm sure one of the AF1 blokes will have a better idea.

Pete

tha-mask
07-08-2008, 06:21 AM
indeed the gears will shift down automatically as you slow down and eventually go right down to first if you go slow enough. Its impossible to stall the engine as in either type of mode the bike always shifts down for you. Also if you are in touring mode and you have stopped accelerating, then you can use the shifters to manually go down the gears (whilst in Touring mode) to provide engine braking. The engine will then not shift up automatically until you press the gear up button, at which point it goes back to fully automatic.

I use Sport Gear pretty much most of the time, I find the revs too high in slow city traffic for the 20mph crawl around on Touring mode.

Yes going from Sport Gear to Auto always defaults to touring mode.