PDA

View Full Version : dash reset details?

slave600
07-03-2008, 09:16 PM
ok, ordered the yamaha relay (here in 4 days), checked my connectors (spliced the white/ barrel wires, brown was great! inside ,out, and tight), and have a new parts unlimited (actually yuasa ytx14bs) battery in it, but i have some concerns.
-first, i've had a reset dash before.... but now the needle ticks about 8 times before stopping. maybe ticked 3-4 last reset
-usually i would get one reset in 10 when the old batt. was on its way out, but dang EVERY time now???
-lastly, i have seen some of the pics (researched dash resest and wire mod heavily!!!) of wire butt splices being used but are these some fabled type i've never seen?? the type i have and have used in the past are a crimp on the wire type or even a plug (male/ female type) that result in a butt connector shape when connected, but some claim they are soldering these??? how and well HOW??? i understand soldering the single wire then crimping soldered single wire into 1 side of the splice. i would understand soldering then heat shrinking, but soldering then somehow wrapping a butt splice (hollow tube style) around the soldered joint is.... well we-todd-ed.
thanx again and i repeat i have searched the forum so i'll save many the time of telling me how to search the forum, i appreciate the help ppl. J2

ARAIHEAD
07-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Well , thats certainly got me baffled!!:confused::bangwall:

mcbrien
07-05-2008, 07:54 AM
May just be dumb luck but I have done pretty much
what you have done and still had the occasional reset
until I started to wait until the dash went through its
little routine then wait a couple more seconds THEN
hit the starter button . Haven't had a reset in months .
:WTF:

Raindog
07-05-2008, 09:34 AM

Add it to the list, just above "diet".

slave600
07-18-2008, 01:32 PM
put in the new relay by yamaha. used kzmille's barrier terminal idea on the brown connector in tail section. straightwired and heat shrinked the barrel plug wires and i still have the same dash reset. what gives here?? should i consider charging the battery?? it is in great shape is a few months old and holds the charge, but i'm just lost at this point.
-considering the capacitor in the dash idea, but if it goes beyond that i'm tossing the tuono!! maybe get a rocket 3 or something that has known issues that i can fix w/ out spending hours researching.....

Batfastard
07-18-2008, 01:39 PM
:funnypost:funnypost:funnypost:funnypost excellent.

Try charging the battery - I keep mine on a battery tender regardless when it's in the garage.

I can't really see it making much difference, but it wont cost anything.

If it still resets - try a different set of clocks?

Dumb question - you have got a good electrical connection in the main plug in the back of the dash?

Dark
07-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I have found that I simply need to hold down the starter button until the bike is completely running (but not while it is running). If I remove my thumb from the button too soon the dash reset will occur.
I am running the yami relay.

slave600
07-18-2008, 01:53 PM
just checked the voltage if it has been a question for anyone. 14.1-14.3 at idle. that is supposed to be in the really good range, but i do have some "heat" issue w/ one of the connctions i made to replace the barrel plug.... will be soldering the whole thing together soon.

i let the dash calibrate before i start it. once the key is turned on the dash resets to uk standards, after it is steady i start it. i alwyas wait for the system to calibrate before starting, and i release the starter button only after it has "caught" and started, not before which caused a reset when i first bought the T.

RastaRN
07-18-2008, 01:58 PM
I've had 2 dash resets when I first got the bike. Since then none. All I did was buy a battery tender, and I leave the bike hooked up to it anytime I'm not riding it. When I start it, I put the thing in neutral, pull the air/choke lever all the way back and start er up. I haven't had any resets in 2 years with the same battery.

Dark
07-18-2008, 02:02 PM
I've had 2 dash resets when I first got the bike. Since then none. All I did was buy a battery tender, and I leave the bike hooked up to it anytime I'm not riding it. When I start it, I put the thing in neutral, pull the air/choke lever all the way back and start er up. I haven't had any resets in 2 years with the same battery.

is that the best way to start it (with the choke all the way back)? I rarely use my choke and the bike starts and idles great when cold. The only times I use it are to keep the revs around 1.5k for a quicker warm up.

slave600
07-18-2008, 02:02 PM
exact same way i start mine, but i removed the nose cone a week or two ago and 7 hours later i had a reset.... and every time since then!!!

Batfastard
07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
exact same way i start mine, but i removed the nose cone a week or two ago and 7 hours later i had a reset.... and every time since then!!!

Go check that multiplug in the back of your dash.
If your resets started after taking the nose fairing off you may have a bad connection up there somewhere.

slave600
07-18-2008, 02:18 PM
just so i'm not fumbling too much which plug is it u are talking about? i/m kinda in a pinch here (just had the eyes dialated by the optometrist, this morning at lunch) so i'm not able to see in the area too well!

ARAIHEAD
07-18-2008, 02:36 PM

By another faceless wonder!:fangs:

Dark
07-18-2008, 03:17 PM
just so i'm not fumbling too much which plug is it u are talking about? i/m kinda in a pinch here (just had the eyes dialated by the optometrist, this morning at lunch) so i'm not able to see in the area too well!

might as well hold off and give your eyes a rest, the last thing you want is to be taking in any extra light then you have to if your eyes have been medically dilated.

slave600
07-18-2008, 03:44 PM
yeah i'm runnin' on the other senses to do my thing today. yearly exam just fell on a friday and the same day i meant to address the 'tarded issues w/ my "once" favorite bike.

bigbrit71
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM

that would not take much work it now MONKEY HANGER :kidding::cheers:

RastaRN
07-19-2008, 12:42 AM
is that the best way to start it (with the choke all the way back)? I rarely use my choke and the bike starts and idles great when cold. The only times I use it are to keep the revs around 1.5k for a quicker warm up.

I initially have it all the way back, but once it starts I adjust to 2K RPM until I see 120 F or so.

Batfastard
07-19-2008, 04:14 AM

Sorry logged off last night.

The plug you need to check is the big one right slap in the centre of the dash on the back - you might have a dodgy connection. If your resets all started after you had the front end off I would also check all the connectors are all pushed fully home, if you want pop them apart look for any corrosion and pop them back together. Check the wiring looms at the back of the plug - having seen facesliders last weekend also check the wires entering the back of the fuse & relay boxes for damaged insulation & shorts.

Sound like a big list but its only a look at each part to see if something is interupting power to the dash.

slave600
07-21-2008, 02:32 PM
trying to track down a short that trips my dash before i ever start the bike. battery is fully charged and charging system is performing above spec. so all i can think of is a loose connector or a cut wire? symptoms are still the same as earlier, but i may have crimped or cut into a wire (sensor???) on the other connector from the rectifier in back (may have done it when replacing brown connector) thanx folks

oneadamjerry
07-21-2008, 05:17 PM
S600
B4 you do any major sugery, pull the battery cables, clean both the underside of the cables connecters and the terminals themselves, then make sure when you replace them, they are REALLY, REALLY tight.
Just my $.02 - Been there - done that
Good luck
1aj

The Dr.Jon
07-21-2008, 05:20 PM
ok, ordered the yamaha relay (here in 4 days

Since getting my Yamaha relay I have not had a single dash re-set.

:bump:

scudzuki
07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
I soldered in the recommended capacitor in the gauges and still get the occasional dash reset. Don't waste your time with that "fix".

Joe

vito
07-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Since getting my Yamaha relay I have not had a single dash re-set.

:bump:

now, just get rid of all the other yamaha parts and you're good to go.:angel::burnout:

oreana123
07-22-2008, 07:34 AM
If you put the electrical system problems into the correct perspective, then maybe you won't be thinking about selling your Tuono...Here is my experience: I installed a Yamaha relay despite the lack of measured resistance across the contacts. I bought a new battery. I cleaned the cables and tightened accordingly. I used the constant battery tender. Within a month of all of this I started with the reset, again. It can't be any of the above new parts, right? Well the new POS battery had a bad cell as measured at the battery store. No amount of onboard charging or battery tender will help that, yet the battery showed statically full voltage charge. It just did not have the power under load. YMMV

Since you have full charging voltage at your battery, you have just eliminated half of the system. It is either storage (battery) or delivery (start system). Check your battery under load after full charge. If good, then your problem is in the circuit to the starter.