PDA

View Full Version : So I'm about to take the plunge ...

Ollop
12-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for quite some time, but decided to ask for some opinions.

I have never owned a twin before, and only ridden them on a couple of previous occasions. One was a Ducati 900SS and the other a Falco 1000. So most of my experience is on Japanese fours, things like CBRs and GSX-Rs.

After some consideration, I have finally decided to buy an '04 RSVR. :) I had also considered buying a Factory, but realistically for the type of riding I usually do (mostly streets and hills), the RSVR is more than capable. I also happen to like the Red/Silver the most. So on to the questions.

The first is about aftermarket exhausts. This seems to be a topic for which everyone has a favorite vendor. My main goals for an exhaust system are sound and looks, follwed by performance. I have seen some of the threads about Tigs and others, but for some odd reason I happen to like the look of the Akrapovic canister (please don't flame me for this ;) ). However, I have not fully decided that this is the 'right' way to go. It is my understanding that the Akrapovic is currently only available in a full system. Does anyone happen to know when an Akrapovic slip on might be available in the U.S.? Can anyone offer some suggestions on other exhaust systems I should consider (that are available in the U.S.)?

It is likely that I will get the bike with the stock exhaust then change to something else later. My friendly neighborhood dealer was kind enough to offer a 15% discount if I bought an exhaust at time of bike sale but I think I'll wait until I have the right choice for me. He only had the Akra full system or the Aprilia slip on, which I don't like.

The other question is relating to anything else I should be considering that you have found useful. Things like the Evoluzione license plate relocator, etc.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Cheers,
Steve

P.S. Is there an Tigcraft distributor in the U.S.?

Ollop
12-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Oh, yeah ... other question.

Sprockets. Has anyone done some experimenting with changing the front and/or rear sprockets? Down one tooth in the front versus up one in the rear, etc.

Thanks again.

matteo998
12-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Hy Ollop,
right now I came home after dinner with friends during which we discuss two hours about exhaust in general but specially Akrapovic. Igor Akrapovic is personal friend of some of them (I met him few times on the track) and according what I heard today for the time beeing no slip-on will be available. I asked it because I have same idea , to ride RSVR only on the street so I really don't need full system. In my opinion that could be agreement between Akrapovic and Aprilia: he is exclusive for full system and because of this he is not "authorised" to sell slip-on. For example, when I wanted to buy Akrapovic for KTM Duke it was only available through KTM official network. If you want to be sure send mail to Akrapovic and you'll get answer within one day. I will also contact some friends to be sure and inform you.
Sprocket: one toot less in front is max for street use..unless you prefer wheelie all the time;)

Thunder Factory
12-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Welcome! :D

As somone who purchased his first Mille last January (a classic first edition 1998 tri-colour) to use occasionally and keep my Yamaha as the main bike, then got rid of both bikes for an 04 Factory this September all I can say is I don't regret moving to a twin for a four at all.

On the subject of exhausts, as yet Akra have not released their own version of a full system or slip on for the 04. the full system which you see is the Akra built to aprilias specifications, and I heard no later than this morning from my dealer that Akra's own slip on's are still not due in the near future.

I currently run a set of Carbon Can Co tri-ovals on the bike, but ordered a set of the Tigcraft slip ons when they became available as I had heard such good reports on them from other owners.

I've never seen one of their cans in the flesh , but the pictures look excellent (IMHO) and with a stright through 60mm core on the 105db version the sound should be unreal! :shooter:

Other alternates currently in the US are Blue Flame which is mentioned on the board, or Carbon Can Co export to the US from the UK (psst my set are currently in the for sale section of the board complete with pics and sound clip:o :D )

As for sprockets, yes I'd say it's a must as the stock bike is very highly geared. I went with a 42 on the rear option myelf as I wanted to retain the stock front which comes with a rubber buffer not available on aftermarkets. I find it perfect for real road riding and not that much more expensive than changing the front.

All in all I hope you enjoy the bike and participate on the board. Always good to hear from new blood on this section!

Cheers

:peace: :peace:

Ollop
01-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the information. I finally have the bike on order, and am supposed to pick it up on Monday or Tuesday after I get home from vacation. :) I'm looking forward to riding it around a bit as the weather should be decent mid-week.

Now the tough part is deciding what exhaust to get. :confused:

Dvus
01-01-2004, 10:51 PM
welcome aboard and good choice. Whatever you do with your bike you'll enjoy it above stock. Just minor changes needed to make this bike haul A$$!

stinky
01-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Welcome, Ollop!

Evoluzione fender eliminator cleans the rear of the bike up nicely - it's a really nice piece. I got the Cycle Cat sidestand too, which adds to the bling factor but also has an adjustable retraction stop.

I went down one tooth on the front sprocket and up one in the rear. Feels much better now at 15/41. Raised the forks up one line in the triples (i.e. lowered the front end slightly) and she seems to hold a line better all the way through corners.

I have the Akra full system and I'm really happy with it. Had my dealer switch the ECU over to the race map.

Next will probably be the Evo airbox kit and an adjustable FPR once a couple of guinea pigs with some dyno time figure out the optimal fuel pressure. That or some rearsets...or frame sliders...

Dvus
01-02-2004, 12:34 AM
oh yeah lowering the front end by a line does woners have to agree! No more push. Just tracks so much better

wolly
01-02-2004, 05:40 AM
Hi,

can you change to a 42 rear sprocket without adding links to the original chain ?

Rob

Thunder Factory
01-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by wolly
Hi,

can you change to a 42 rear sprocket without adding links to the original chain ?

Rob

Yes

Fits the bike perfectly, though a 43 or 44 would be too much with a "new" chain.

:peace: