PDA

View Full Version : 1998 RS50 few problems.

Josh Plunkett
06-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Problem 1 engine wont start, i have taken the clutch and fly wheel casings off and when i turn the flywheel over it sounds like oil sloshing around in th bottom of the crankcase so i guess the engine is flooded with fuel oil, how can i drain it out?

Problem 2 clutch wont engage i can push the clutch lever all the way in and it just stops with no obvious clutch engagement? What could this be?

Im also looking for an indicator switch as the indicators just stay on and dont flash.

Could someone tell me if 1998 rs50 are different to 1999 rs50 and where is it possible to get spares/performance parts and a workshop manual i have searched all over to no avail.

Thanks
Josh

bradders
06-29-2008, 04:43 PM
No idea about the clutch, but the 99 is the facelift of the 98, so is a tad different, you sure your relays are good? And the indicators are connected proper good?

bourney2007
06-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Well i wouldn't imagine you could get it that flooded that you would hear the petrol sloshing around in the bottom of your engine. Sounds dodgey.

As for the clutch. The clutch on these are very light, pull the clutch in and kick it into gear, try to push the bike. If it pushes without turning the engine over then the clutch is enguaged.

Halfords will have a haynes manual, they are about 19 though.
I would get your bike working before you start buying performance parts.
Have you tried bump starting your bike? That works sometimes because you can turn over the engine faster that way than off the electric.
The easiest way to clear your engine is to remove the sprak plug and run up and down the street with it as if you were bump starting it.

Josh Plunkett
06-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah i have bumped it and it starts seems to run nicley the clutch engages, turns out it just needed a bit of cable adjustment.
Still the engine wont tick over leave off the revs and it just dies, it wont start off the electrics though.:mad::bs:

Josh

Rs50_2007kris
06-30-2008, 04:06 PM
check the tick over screw

Josh Plunkett
06-30-2008, 04:13 PM
That the screw on the carb, low speed screw? i heard it could be piston rings worn.

Josh

Aprilia af1
06-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Tickover screw is the big one on the left side of the carb that is sticking out(about in the middle) and you can turn with your fingers, not the little brass one that is counter sunk(sort of) because that is the air screw.

The rings could be the problem to having no tickover because that would mean not as much compression and no compression means no power as well.
Also if the airscrew is out too far that could cause the tickover to be shite, well that's what happened to mine.

Hope this helps.

keeton.
06-30-2008, 05:11 PM
the indicators stay on either because they are wired up wrong, relays gone or sumthings shorting.

keeton

Josh Plunkett
06-30-2008, 05:47 PM
It has power but when i use the starter it just goes and goes and goes smoke comes out of the exhaust in bursts as the engine fires but it will not start.
The wiring is a mess so i imagine something is wired up badly somewhere.

Motor-mad
07-01-2008, 07:36 AM
have u check ur choke (or chock i cant spell)?

because when i got my RS, the rev just die sometime even if it rev high there just not enough fuel or something which made lot smoke, anyway get handbook, check it out and fix it like me it very useful!

hope it help

Josh Plunkett
07-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah the choke isnt on, and it releases when you hit full throttle so the choke isnt a problem, It just keeps turning over.
I have found another problem, when i hit about 40mph it looses all its revs, whats causing his.

Cheers
Josh

DanGPR
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm having the same problems. Lack of power, and my bike will run, but revs very reluctantly and looses power once it hits about 40.

I think the jetting is lean, so i'm going to richen it up a bit.

luigi1991
07-03-2008, 04:44 PM
if its bogging down its to rich