PDA

View Full Version : Derestricting 2008 Rs50

dan1242
06-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Help!, i am sick of going along at 30 mph with a queue of traffic behind me it SUCKS!!, so can some one please help me, i have a rough idea but want to get this right so i dont wreck the engine, so far i have gathered i need,

New exhaust (apparently one of the main restrictions is in the exhaust)
New Carb (apparently they come into britain and a 9mm carb is put on them so i need a 21 mm carb to make it move lol)
CDI (????):WTF:

The cdi is the one im really confused about, i bought an athena cdi and put it in but it was exactly the same as the one that came out except a few colour changes but barr that nothing is different, it still hits only 30mph, ive heard that a wire may need cut?? but i thought if i bought an athena one i wouldnt need to do that as it was more expensive than the standard one?

Somebody help please

__________________________________________________ ___________
TRACKDAYS ...... CAUSE GOLFS FOR FAGGOTS!!
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬

bourney2007
06-20-2008, 04:01 PM
first of all i'll say what i normally say. If you derestrict that RS all warrenty's you have on it will be VOID unless an approved aprilia dealer does it for you.

Yes one of the main restrictors is in the exhaust. They are like washers, they are welded to the end of the exhaust. Just nock them out. You could buy a performance exhaust if you like. You will need to re-jet your carb if you derestrict your bike.

You wouldn't be getting anywhere on a 9mm carb lol. It definitly won't have a 9mm carb on it. I'm not sure what the standard RS carb size is but it definitly isn't 9mm. Mine is 14mm, but i have a gpr50.

I think you have to run premium unleaded fuel (99 octane) with an unlimited cdi. Some cdi's restrict what the bike can rev to, so putting in an unlimited cdi removes this restriction.

keeton.
06-20-2008, 04:57 PM
you can either keep the standard exhuast or buy a performance one, i'd suggest the performance one cos it will have bigger effect as there will be no CAT.
the bigger carb will help so i'd suggest that if you want to spend money. :confused:

also the cdi will not have any effect unless you have it derestricted.

note: if you change anything on your bike the warrenty is void

keeton

Bandit79
06-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Don´t forget to check the Reed-valve and manifold, they often come restricted . And check the airbox (air inlet on the box itself).

But as the other dudes say, there´s a good chance that the CDI unit is restricted.

Exhaust
CDI unit
Reed-valve block
Manifold
Airbox
and change the carb (omg :gunner: 9mm .. thats tiny! )

thompa 25
06-21-2008, 04:27 AM
go for a 19mm carb as it is still only a 50cc as a 21mm will take ages to set up correctly and probably wont perform as well as a 19mm as the 21mm carbs are really designed for bbk's

luigi1991
06-21-2008, 05:26 AM
right then.
all lyour warranty is void unless u go to the dealer get ur parents to sign permission to de restrict it and get them to do it. back to the things
u dont need a performance exhaust to derestrict it but u can if u want be warned the arrow comes with a restrictor in too.
the carb is fine u dont need a new one unless u want to spend money and decrease your fuel economy. its not a 9mm either.
there is no cdi restriction on the bikes either so thats another thing that you have been told thats wrong.
can i suggest taking this to the dealer because ul need to re jet too and change spark plugs etc so its easier to get someone who really knows what there doing to do it

bradders
06-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Standard MY06/07/08 is 14mm

nopainnogain
06-21-2008, 07:06 AM
as far as im aware theres no restriction in the cdi on a rs50,there never has been up until now,the wire cutting method is for a 125.the athena cdi is advancing the ignition a couple of degrees but until you sor tthe exhaust its not going to do anytrhing.the exhaust will be restricted in the usual way with a washer in the maifold end,but this would bebetter if replaced as you have a cat in the stock one,you could cut the pipe open and remove it but you need to be a fairly skiled welder to do this properly,check the airbox but im fairly sure theres no restriction in here either,theres a restrictor in the reed block but this is supposed to be there unless you fit a larger carb,if you remove this with the stock carb you will reduce performance.

just the exhaust and a small upjet will make a world of difference with the athena cdi.

ajrhythm
06-21-2008, 07:19 AM
mate just go to an official aprilia dealer and say, can you de restrict this for me please.... about 50 quid and they'll do it for you.... no need to spend 150 quid on a new exhaust and god knows how much a new carb is....

plus you keep ur warenty (Y)

ive just been and ordered my 08 RS today, and told the guy to de restrict it b4 he delivered it, he said it woul dbe 40 quid normally but he's throwin it in free

luigi1991
06-21-2008, 07:29 AM
if it is brand new it needs to be run in before u derestrict it imo
thats wat aprilia reccomend!

bradders
06-21-2008, 07:48 AM
if it is brand new it needs to be run in before u derestrict it imo
thats wat aprilia reccomend!
:plus:

williamr
06-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Just remember that with it derestricted you have no licence or insurance.

If we return to public executions for these offences I'll be in the audience applauding, but otherwise, please crash badly enough to stop you from riding until you're 17.

Rob

ajrhythm
06-21-2008, 08:09 AM
yeah i know people recomend that, but for me it would be better. the dealer doesnt live very close or anything, and its just an inconvinience, so i ordered it de restricted. but i'll keep it uner 7k revs for the first 200 miles... should be enough to run the engine in yeah?

nopainnogain
06-21-2008, 08:20 AM
id love to know how many dealers will remove an exhaust and de-restrict it,re fit it and change the jet in the carb for 50quid!

ajrhythm
06-21-2008, 08:26 AM
ah well the dealer does it for 40, and two other shops ive asked said 50 and 70.....

nopainnogain
06-21-2008, 08:54 AM
even 50-70 is cheap,most charge around 130-150,a dealer may well be doing it cheap if youre buying a new bike from him,but think about it,he aint gonna remove and re-fit an exhaust,and remove panels off a bike to re-jet the carb for 50quid,he obviousley aint doing all thats needed to do it properly for that price,or else hes not going to be in business too long.

bradders
06-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Well maybe it's because he's buying it brand new.. by a brand new RSV and some people will chuck in thing like a £350 leather jacket, or other clothing/accesories

nopainnogain
06-21-2008, 09:35 AM
thats what i said

bradders
06-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Ok, well you've edited it since then..

Rs50_2007kris
06-22-2008, 04:01 PM
De-restricting the standard exhaust can be abit of an ass

http://flexistentialist.org/gallery_photos/derestriction/13exhaust.sized.jpg

look at that, you need to cut the extra pipe off, then undo the bolts and grind a restrictor out between the join.

definietly better to get a performance pipe

mx50boy
06-22-2008, 04:04 PM
De-restricting the standard exhaust can be abit of an ass

http://flexistentialist.org/gallery_photos/derestriction/13exhaust.sized.jpg

look at that, you need to cut the extra pipe off, then undo the bolts and grind a restrictor out between the join.

definietly better to get a performance pipe

thats not an RS pipe tho

Rs50_2007kris
06-22-2008, 04:06 PM
yeah, but my rs standard pipe has exactly the same things on, when i took it off i had a look

bourney2007
06-22-2008, 04:08 PM
i didn't think you had to remove a section of the pipe, i just thought you knocked out the restrictors at the end of the pipe, where it joins to the can.
So whats in this section of pipe, a meshing that restricts it?

Rs50_2007kris
06-22-2008, 04:14 PM
not too sure, i didnt grind mine off, not too sure what it actually does though, but its some kind of restriction, also i had small drill piece size hole in my expansion chamber on my standard exhaust.

bourney2007
06-22-2008, 04:23 PM
not too sure, i didnt grind mine off, not too sure what it actually does though, but its some kind of restriction, also i had small drill piece size hole in my expansion chamber on my standard exhaust.

yeah i've heard of drilling the expansion chamber before. I get the feeling it's done to avoid having to cut that section of pipe out.

I imagine the section of pipe will have meshing in it restricting air flow, so by putting holes in the expansion chamber tat increases air flow.
I bet your exhaust would blow like fook though, and probably not perform aswell seeing as you're drilling into the expansion chamber.

ajrhythm
06-22-2008, 05:22 PM
mate you sure you wanna do all that shit yourself? could just ask a shop?

bourney2007
06-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Well i hope he dosn't do it himself. If he does he voids the warrenty and if he can't grind or weld (which i bet he can't, weld anyway) then he's just going to screw his bike up.

dan1242
06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Cheers thats all been really gd advice i think il get someone to do it for me, does anyone recomend a performnace exhaust??

__________________________________________________ _
TRACKDAYS...... CAUSE GOLFS FOR FAGGOTS
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

bourney2007
06-23-2008, 04:33 PM
personally i'd say leo vince v6.

luigi1991
06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
id say no because ul sell it in a year anyway and it wont really gain u much

Rs50_2007kris
06-24-2008, 07:30 AM
i've heard alot of good things about leo vince v6, but i have the arrow underseat one, only ridden by bike a few times with and without it, but theres definietly a difference there, arrow is pretty good.

dan1242
06-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Is the leo vince V6 an underseat exhaust???

luigi1991
06-24-2008, 03:22 PM
i dont think they make one no.
you lot make me laugh

bourney2007
06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
i dont think they make one no.
you lot make me laugh

Every now and then someone will pop up who dosn't have the incredible mechanical expertise that you clearly posses and yes they may ask a question that, to experts like you, may seem a little simple, but hey, lifes a bitch.

Really mate theres no need. He clearly is new to bikes (or at least the RS50 anyway) and did what the forum is intended for, asking for information/advice.
So if you want to be cocky/funny/sarcastic about it, then please do it elsewhere.

Rs50_2007kris
06-24-2008, 04:32 PM
*once again somebody backs up the point that i made in the other thread about smart ass arrogant comments, well done*

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2373/sta71839rt3.jpg

whats that luigi? you make me laugh.

bourney2007
06-24-2008, 04:33 PM
*once again somebody backs up the point that i made in the other thread about smart ass arrogant comments, well done*

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ta71839rt3.jpg

whats that luigi? you make me laugh.

link dosn't work mate.

Rs50_2007kris
06-24-2008, 04:38 PM
does now :)

bourney2007
06-24-2008, 04:42 PM
does now :)

not for me it don't :(

Rs50_2007kris
06-24-2008, 04:44 PM
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT, damn. well its the kid with the black derbi gpr 70, whos selling his now, he has a leo vince v6 underseat.

check the thread 'For Sale : derbi gpr 50 2005' by dangpr, its his sig, and theres a link to it there.

bradders
06-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Link works for me, and it's DanGPR :happy:

bourney2007
06-24-2008, 04:51 PM
ahh yeah it's working for me now.
So you can get the underseat leo vince v6 exhaust. Oh luigi, you do make us laugh :happy:

luigi1991
06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
this is all bollocks.
if u want a good forum where people actually help u with proper advice and not there opinion all the time then
www.tjtuning.co.uk/forums
all the old 125 boys are there and most of the good people from here are too.

Rs50_2007kris
06-24-2008, 05:31 PM
but you're the one who leaves the nasty comments...

RiejuR51
06-24-2008, 06:25 PM
lol .

ajrhythm
06-25-2008, 09:00 AM
lmao theres always bitching goin on in this forum. funny as! lol

anyway back to topic; mate honestly dont bother with an exhaust. just get it de restricted and you'll be buzzin.

but stilll, if you do say you want an exhaust i personally recomend the arrow one. heard good things about it.

ajrhythm
06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
this is all bollocks.
if u want a good forum where people actually help u with proper advice and not there opinion all the time then
www.tjtuning.co.uk/forums
all the old 125 boys are there and most of the good people from here are too.

just checked it out, it looked bollocks......

its a complete rip off of this site, doesnt seem anywhere near as good

nopainnogain
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
it is a good alternative forum site,is was mainly set up because af1 closed down the rs125 section of this forum so all the 125boys went over to that.
people are going to give their opinion aswell as advice on any forum,i always thought that was the idea!

dan1242
06-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Kl kl il have a look at the leo vince v6, and the arrow, and i think the price will decide lol,

Enough wit the arguments i just wanted a little adive so i dont fuck it up and end up costing my self heaps of money

Cheers

PS, I heard of these things called boost chambers, but i aint heard od anyone who has one have a look for urself!

https://www.pmtuning.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PT&Category_Code=0020105001RS502006

bourney2007
06-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Kl kl il have a look at the leo vince v6, and the arrow, and i think the price will decide lol,

Enough wit the arguments i just wanted a little adive so i dont fuck it up and end up costing my self heaps of money

Cheers

PS, I heard of these things called boost chambers, but i aint heard od anyone who has one have a look for urself!

https://www.pmtuning.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PT&Category_Code=0020105001RS502006

From what i've heard boost chambers don't do all that much. I have a brand new one from tjtuning if you're interested.
I think it's the arrow then if the price is deciding.

bradders
06-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Apparently boost chambers can fuck some engines up? Just what I've heard..

bourney2007
06-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Apparently boost chambers can fuck some engines up? Just what I've heard..

Well all they do is push wasted/un-used air/fuel back into the engine. I would imagine it could fuck up an engine.
Not worth the risk really for the very minimal gain you get.

andy08rs50
06-26-2008, 02:20 PM
THERE IS NO FUKIN WASHER IN THE NEW RS EXHAUST, OMG THATS ALL PEOPLE SAY! ITS A PIPE THAT COMES OF THE HEADER PIPE AN REDIRECTS THE EXHAUST FLOW. rant over lol. thers no restriction in the cdi just the exhaust and up jet:D

Rs50_2007kris
06-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Don't get aggressive, i quite clearly stated the TWO exhaust restrictions earlier on in the thread. 1 - The pipe that comes off the side of the header pipe - which stops the pressure that is needed in a two stroke, so theres less pressure in the expansion chamber which = less power. 2 - where the front pipe joins together with bolts just before the expansion chamber, there is another, a small piece of metal inside that restricts the pipe to about the size of a pea,you have to undo the bolts and grind this piece of metal out. Also upjetting doesnt make it any quicker, just lets more fuel in for when you upgrade performance parts, to compensate for more power/air.
And wrong, there is a restriction in the CDI on the newer bikes, you give it to a dealer with the software, they re-map the settings of it.

nopainnogain
06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
someone will probably know more but im fairly sure that in an attempt to make the derbi engine pass the new tougher emission laws they attempted to pump air into the exhaust to help clean up the emissions,this is common practice on modern 4stroke and diesel engines,i think the pipe is part of this setup that isnt used.as for an upjet,it will be needed because when you remove the restriction,more gases can flow out of the cylinder,hence more can be drawn in,extra air isnt gonna make any more power unless theres fuel added to it hence the upjet,cant comment on the CDI restriction,no experience of the newer engine although i would have thought its maybe a rev limiter more than a restriction as such.

williamr
06-27-2008, 06:30 AM
someone will probably know more but im fairly sure that in an attempt to make the derbi engine pass the new tougher emission laws they attempted to pump air into the exhaust to help clean up the emissions,this is common practice on modern 4stroke and diesel engines,i think the pipe is part of this setup that isnt used.as for an upjet,it will be needed because when you remove the restriction,more gases can flow out of the cylinder,hence more can be drawn in,extra air isnt gonna make any more power unless theres fuel added to it hence the upjet,cant comment on the CDI restriction,no experience of the newer engine although i would have thought its maybe a rev limiter more than a restriction as such.

No attempt made to pump air into the exhaust. It fucks up the pressure wave that 2-strokes depend on.

Extra air being sucked in increases the manifold depression and sucks in more fuel, so the jetting issue isn't quite that simple. Improved scavenging through removing exhaust restrictors usually needs an up jet, as does the removal of intake restrictions upstream of the venturi. Intake restrictions downstream of the venturi may not.

Rob

nopainnogain
06-27-2008, 07:34 AM
not true,its a widely used system by some scooter manufacturers and obviously doesnt fuck up the pressure wave otherwise they wouldnt do it!!some scooters use this design to help pass emission laws in some countries..a pipe runs form the airbox into a small chamber with a diaphram inside,this is the intake pulsed air pump,and then onto the exhaust just down stream of the exhaust port,the diaphram pulses in time with the inlet manifold via another connection and pumps air towards the exhaust,this mixes in the cat with the carbon monoxide converting some into less noxiuos carbon dioxide overall diluting the exhaust gas mix,on bikes fitted with this system and the necessary cat if you disconnect the pipe,the cat overheats and glows red hot.
the systems with a cat that runs nice and hot also have particulate filters fitted too to help still further.
i belive this is the main reason that aprilia went over to the derbi engine in 07,they dont have to develop their own emission control systems which is obviously very expensive.
ive just removed the system from a peugeot scooter that someone bought back from europe,no aftermarket exhaust was available for it so we had to cut open the pipe to remove the cat completely after we had removed all the pipework and pump.

dan1242
06-27-2008, 03:14 PM
OK cheers guys. So its a no to the boost chamber, thought it might be rubbbish cuase no one has one.

Cheers

__________________________________________________ _____
TRACKDAYS...... CAUSE GOLF IS FOR FAGGOTS!!!
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

BigB
07-04-2008, 05:23 AM
ok only read the first post.

the only restrictions in the bike is an upjet on the carb and a washer in the exhaust and the extra pipe coming out of the spanny chamber.

upjet i think is a 74/84*

washer - manifold end, can knock it out with a chisel and hammer.

extra pipe - to save cutting and welding the spanny chamber, can get away with pinching the pipe together down at the bottom - bottom is the bit where the pipe is welded to the chamber.

*i cant remember as it was about a year n half ago i got my malossi fitted and jetted.

williamr
07-04-2008, 08:59 AM
ive just removed the system from a peugeot scooter that someone bought back from europe,no aftermarket exhaust was available for it so we had to cut open the pipe to remove the cat completely after we had removed all the pipework and pump.

I've only ever seen this used on 4-strokes, including my own bike.

The usual idea is to add oxygen so that unburnt fuel can carry on burning in the exhaust, before it reaches the converter, thus removing some of the excess complex hydrocarbons. The air isn't used to convert CO to CO2. Emissions regs are mainly targeted at removing CO2, although the second stage of the cat does do some conversion of CO to CO2. The oxygen for this comes from the first stage of the cat, which strips away nitrogen, breaking down noxious nitrogen oxides and freeing up oxygen for the second stage. The first stage is also used to break down unburnt fuel, and if an injection of air before the cat can burn some or all of this it makes the unit more efficient and prolongs its life.

Some systems inject air into the cat between the first and second stage where the first stage doesn't strip out enough O2. This would have no effect on the two stroke expansion chamber and the paragraph above doesn't apply. In a two-way single stage cat it may also be necessary to inject air into the front of the converter. If two strokes do this, injecting into the expansion box, it will impact on performance, although it would work OK with a direct injection motor, which in any case isn't as high performance as the owners would like to think.

Rob

andy08rs50
07-16-2008, 08:27 PM
thats why it is done, to reduce performance. hence the word restriction!

williamr
07-17-2008, 02:52 AM
thats why it is done, to reduce performance. hence the word restriction!

I've no direct experience of this system with 2-strokes, but on 4-strokes it has no effect on power. Some owners remove the system if they've fitted aftermarket exhausts because with cans other than the one it was designed for it can produce annoying detonation - popping and banging - in the exhaust.

Or were you referencing another post in this thread?. If you were, a quote would have helped.

Rob

andy08rs50
07-19-2008, 06:03 AM
no just the post above. and just to clarifi rob we were talking about a 2stroke. its the rs50 forum. :kidding::burnout:

insane_kid101
07-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Just take it to an aprilia dealer....
i had to do 1000km on my rs to run it in
then took it to the dealer and they did it
for a small fee ofcourse.
i know what you're going through, going up hills is a pain in the arse!!
rather let the dealer do it, you know that you wont cock it up :)

bourney2007
07-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Just take it to an aprilia dealer....
i had to do 1000km on my rs to run it in
then took it to the dealer and they did it
for a small fee ofcourse.
i know what you're going through, going up hills is a pain in the arse!!
rather let the dealer do it, you know that you wont cock it up :)

You're on a 125, think how us on 50's feel lol

on top of that you also get to keep your warrenty.