PDA

View Full Version : RSV popping and hissing at low rpm

c_man
12-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Sorry I know this was answered somewhere in the posts but I thought as a new RSV owner it might be nice to have its own thread so other new owners could find it.

I just got the '04 RSV 1000 R 2 weeks ago. Last week the weather turned really cold, for Texas that is. And we've had lows in the 30 F range. Well since the first cold front the RSV has been poping ans hissing, i.e. backfires through the exhaust and intake. I remember seeing in some posts that this is fairly common and I was wondering what the real issue is and what is the fix.

I suspect that its a map issue but is it leaving the bike too rich or too lean? Does the race map solve any problems when using the stock pipe?

stinky
12-15-2003, 01:40 PM
IIRC, you're not supposed to use the race map with the stock pipes, so I don't see that solving your issue. FWIW, mine pops a bit with the race map and full system (Akra) while it's warming up, but not as much as it did with the stock pipes/map. I don't think it's backfiring through the intake (not mine, anyway) - that would be bad.

c_man
12-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Most of the time I get pops in the exhaust but some times I get a hiss sound that comes from the front of the bike. Generaly it is a single his preceeded and followed by exhaust pops.

I suspect it is fuel air mixture burning pre ignition spark due to a bad air/fuel ratio for the tempurature of the air. I'm due for the 600 mile service soon I'll talk to the service department and have them check it out.

stinky
12-15-2003, 02:11 PM
Not sure what would cause the hiss - I get a little hiss too, but I was assuming a lighter backfire or something - if it was igniting/ popping out the front, it would probably destroy your filter on the first pop.

Either way, as you said, I'd be sure to mention it to the techs when you bring your bike in.

c_man
12-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Just got the 600 mi service done. They found a split vacuum line. So I'll post up if this fixed the problem. Going on a 350+ mile ride tomorrow with the TSBA (Texas Sports Bike Association).

vtrandall
04-04-2004, 08:57 PM
I just got back from a ride today and was getting alot of popping on deceleration and a little while sitting at idle.
no hiss from the bike though?

I read that there was a split vacuum line that was causing it on c_man's bike.

c_man- did this solve the problem?

I still have the stock pipes on, about 2400+/- miles

randall

bigd1300
04-04-2004, 10:16 PM
The popping might very well be a split vaccum line, or a loose vaccum cap somewhere. I know on my old carbeurated bike I had lost a vaccum cap off of one of the carbs and the bike popped and spit and hissed like crazy. It was a cheap and simple fix, but it was a PITA to locate the problem at first. Vaccum system can be a funny thing. Hope that helps.

vtrandall
04-05-2004, 01:21 PM
thanks BigD
I have an appointment to take the bike in tomorrow.
It was initially for a clutch bleeding but since I was able to take care of that prob I am just going to have them look at this issue.

randall

wolly
04-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Here in Holland there was also somebody with a vacuum problem causing hissing and popping. It was a loose vacuum line.

vtrandall
04-05-2004, 06:14 PM
think I found the problem, once reattached, no more popping

Randall

vtrandall
04-05-2004, 06:17 PM
another pic

bigd1300
04-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Glad I could help you out. Hopefully I'll get to experience my own Aprilia soon. Currently putting my Busa back to stock, selling the mods and then the bike. Hope to have my Aprilia by June at latest.:banana:

geoff
04-06-2004, 02:43 AM
Where does that tube go (to and from) ? I get the odd hiss & a great deal of backfiring, maybe I need to check the tube..................

Thanks

Geoff

c_man
04-06-2004, 06:47 AM
Sorry Randall, I've been out of the loop with a new job.

The popping and hissing has not returned since they have fixed the vaccuum line. I'm up to about 3400 miles now and everything is running smooth.

Glad you found the problem and it was an easy fix!

clarkie49
04-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by geoff
Where does that tube go (to and from) ? I get the odd hiss & a great deal of backfiring, maybe I need to check the tube..................

Thanks

Geoff

on the non-california bikes it goes straight to the fuel pressure regulator

vtrandall
04-06-2004, 08:32 AM

Thanks

Geoff

in the 2nd pic there is a small gold fixture sticking out of the carb.
the tube is dangling in this pic. I just cut off the split end, luckily the tube was long enough to still fit.

Randall

geoff
04-06-2004, 08:33 AM
thanks guys, what do I need to remove to get to the tube, tank, fairings?

Geoff

vtrandall
04-06-2004, 09:00 AM
thanks guys, what do I need to remove to get to the tube, tank, fairings?

Geoff

take the seat off, get the little tank prop-up thingy (or something equivalent) take off the 2 bolts holding the front of the tank down. The tank hinges up from the back, Prop it up, look on the left side of the bike where the carbs are. If you see a little gold fixture that looks like there should be something attached to it...

randall

geoff
04-06-2004, 09:02 AM
thanks, I'll get my tools......

vtrandall
04-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Just got home from work, noticed that the popping at idle has returned.
took a look under the tank.....the line that split and became disconnected from the carb (see previous pics)....it had split again and was dangling.
I don't think there is supposed to be a clamp on this line? but to have it split? heat related?
I am going to go buy some new line to see if this is a factor?
I think I will send an email to Aprilia as well.

Randall

c_man
04-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Mine has not given me any trouble since they replaced it at the dealer. Talk to the dealer if possible and see what they can do.

vtrandall
04-09-2004, 10:48 PM
c_man,
I'm curious as to what they did. Any idea?
Replace the line? hose clamp?

Randall

c_man
04-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Sorry Randall I am not 100% certain what was causing my to pop and hiss. When I took it into the 600 mi service they said they found a split vaccuum hose and replaced it. They did not mention which one it was. I can call on Monday and find out, and the next time I have the bike apart I'll try to remember to look and see what I can see.

My suggestion is more see if they had any "recalls" that would fix the issue. Alteratively go to an automotive store and get some vaccuum tubing of the same diamiter and see if it stands up any better.

vtrandall
04-10-2004, 10:46 PM
already got some "aftermarket" tubing....gonna ride tomorrow, see if it splits? I think I will take some zip-ties and extra tubing along just in case.

Randall