PDA

View Full Version : Big decision & I'd appreciate some feedback!

scott2ride
12-14-2003, 09:31 PM
I have an 02 Mille in good condition which I can sell for NZ$20-21,000

I can import a new 03 RSV-R for NZ$21,900 (They're selling at our dealers at $30,000)
or
I can import a new 04 RSV-R Factory for NZ$24,700 (They are selling ot our dealer at $34,000)

What would you do? Spend the extra on the 04 or get the 03 and use the NZ$2900 I save to get a race pipe for the 03?

But will the pipe simply bring the 03 up to the power of the 04? Then I've spent the sme money for an older bike with no real power advantage?

Is the 04 that much better?

Hmmmmmmmmmm, what to tell the wife?????

What would you do if it was your cash and why?

Norcal Factory
12-14-2003, 09:46 PM
For most of us on the street with a few trackdays, either bike is going to be fine.

I got the '04 because it is a better bike and looks a lot better.
I test rode the '03 and to me the '04 offers a lower seat and feels lighter. I like the dual exhaust Vs. single. I felt the '03 needed more power and the '04 has more. The '03 dash looks seveal years old and the '04 looks like it should for 2004.

When you buy a car or bike, it's nice to buy the first year of the new body style because it will look like the new one for a few years. The value of the "old style" tends to drop more rapidly.

There have been comparisons of the two bikes in the British bike mags that I just read. Performance bikes is one of them. One votes for the '03 and the other votes for the '04.

Trip Sanore
12-14-2003, 10:08 PM
I used to have an '02 that I just traded in for an '04 Factory. I've only had the Factory for a week, but I have yet to find anything I don't absolutely love about it. It handles better, looks better(to me), and is more comfortable for me as a taller guy(i'm 6'3''). I haven't gotten the engine broken in yet(bad weather), so I can't tell you if there's a huge top end power difference, but it does seem to have some more low end grunt. Also, Norcal Factory makes a good point, there's nothing else on the road that looks like her right now. Everytime I drive this thing in town people are staring.

Really though, you'd be in great shape with either bike. :plus:

Dvus
12-14-2003, 10:20 PM
other than looking like the RC51 in the front and the MV in the rear, NOthing else looks like it. Dude the bike is perfect. It's sooooooo fun to roll on this bike nothing compares. setup the suspension right and get the right exhaust it owns the roads.

Thunder Factory
12-15-2003, 02:54 AM
Scott

Looks like a difficult decision and has already been said the press give conflicting views on this very subject, however for what it's worth here are my personal views on the matter.

Knowing you from previous correspondence you are talking about power advantages between the 2 bikes, and as the 03 is not the Edwards model it occurs to me that straight off you have a difference in the size of throttle bodies to consider between the bikes.

In addition th 04 has potential for "easy" power gains just by removing the stock exhausts and losing the cats, plus it has improved heads and "ram air" through the headstock which are not on the 03.

Taking all the improvements it seems to me that the price difference you talk about is not big enough to warrant going for the older model, if it was more then that's a different scenario, but as it is I'd go for the 04 and a set of slip on cans.

Of course you have to remeber that asking the question on this forum is likely to provoke some biased replies :D

Good luck anyway :peace:

CUSTOMTRUCKS
12-15-2003, 03:11 PM
This is easy...

I buy and end up selling 4-5 new bikes every year. I started off 2003 with a '03 Mille R. It was a great bike, but I felt it to be too big and a bulbous feeling. So, I spent most of the year on a Ducati 999. I just picked up my '04 R , 2 weeks ago, and even though I've only ridden it a few times and not even on the track yet, I like it so much more then the '03. There are so many reasons, most explained on this forum. Resale value is another consideration. The '04 will hold it's value, especially with limited availability. 03's are still on showroom floors. I think that says a lot.

scott2ride
12-15-2003, 06:59 PM
All good feedback.

Well.... I've considered everything and pondered life. And I'm gonna get the 04. Now I need to decide between the standard and the Factory.

But I must admit I've always wished I'd got an R instead of my 02 Mille, not that I could ride to its potential anyway. But it seems to me that tha limits will always be that little bit higher on a Factory due to its better suspension. So buying the Factory is purley an exercise in safety....or thats what I'll tell my wife anyway.

Now I'm getting excited...he he he....must find some money and go spending!:banana:

ChicagoFactory
12-15-2003, 08:32 PM
But I must admit I've always wished I'd got an R instead of my 02 Mille, not that I could ride to its potential anyway.

I said the samething when I bought my 01 Mille. This time, I bought the Factory, so there won't be any regrets. :banana:

Go For It Scott, get the Factory!:D

Mike

Thunder Factory
12-16-2003, 03:20 AM
Scott

Initially I ordered a red and silver R from my dealer, but when I did some real hard thinking I changed it to the Silver Factory that now has pride of place in the bike shed.

What finally changed my mind was I knew deep down it would only be a matter of time before I changed the suspension and when I did the financial calculations the Factory was going to be ""cheaper" in the long run.

Which ever you go for enjoy it and ride safe. :peace:

Norcal Factory
12-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Great decision!

When you look at your factory, you will have years of pride of ownership...

The carbon fiber bits to accentuate the body design, the radial brakes, those beautiful rims with the reduced rotating mass, the Ohlins. All of it - only the best!

scott2ride
12-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Consider me an emotionally beaten man.

I broached it with the boss (the Wife) :shooter: last night and received a cold...if not nasty....responce to the suggestion of getting a new bike. I even got lines like "If you get that bike them I'm out of hear!"

Oh well.... I'm gonna miss her!:devilbat:

Just kidding... but she is dead against it. So I have devised an evil and sinister plan....and shall have my new Factory within 2 months....and she will almost be happy about it....almost!

It's a cunning plan and it's gonna work. I hope!:D

Thanks guys. Im in for a silver or Black 04 Factory!

Norcal Factory
12-17-2003, 01:12 PM
I have a plan....

First quit you job and take a year off. Then tell her you're getting a job in a couple of months but stretch it out for 14 months while you ski snowboard, Mtn. Bike and ride dirt bikes and your Ducati. Then you ask her if you can you get a bike when you get a job.

She says yes!

Now, here's the hard part. (The setup)

You tell her all about the '04 Mille Factory for a few weeks as you are looking for a job. Then you find out that this is a limited production and if you don't get one right away there won't be any next month when your job comes through.

You ask if you can get the bike now, since it's now or never and you have a great job interview cycle in process.

She says yes! You get the bike. The job falls through and you have plenty of time to ride the new bike and make postings like this!

Isn't life good!

It worked for me! True Story!!

rsvrick
12-17-2003, 01:52 PM
scott, i'm in the same boat...what's your plan??? i can't afford norcal's plan!

TheClaw
12-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Whenever I buy a new bike, I stop at the jewelry store on the way home. Last time, it was new bike for me, new furniture for her. Oh, I had to give up a few vices. I did that for about a week, after that it didn't come up.

Good luck.

Kiwi_M5
12-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Hey Scott,

Know exactly where u are at .. I have that problem with cars and consequently drive an M5 .. always gotta have the best. But with my child on the way, my other beloved keeps suggesting that we "cant live in a beemer"

FYI - the "R" is retailing in Wgtn for $27995 at Motorad and they said only 4 in dealers in NZ till Jan when 8 more arrive (R version only). And Factory will retail at $37995 (he was quoting from his pricelist rather than plucking figures from the air).

I'm going to get the R but have to sell the Harley and the only way my partner will let me is if I dont have to hand over and $$ when I trade, which should be easy.

But I was surfing now to see if I can find a dealer in US for an R because we should be getting stunning deals at the mo with weak US$.

So drop me an email because we might be able to save some freight costs if we import together.

Dean

Kiwi_M5
12-19-2003, 12:38 AM
Hey Scott,

Know exactly where u are at .. I have that problem with cars and consequently drive an M5 .. always gotta have the best. But with my child on the way, my other beloved keeps suggesting that we "cant live in a beemer"

FYI - the "R" is retailing in Wgtn for $27995 at Motorad and they said only 4 in dealers in NZ till Jan when 8 more arrive (R version only). And Factory will retail at $37995 (he was quoting from his pricelist rather than plucking figures from the air).

I'm going to get the R but have to sell the Harley and the only way my partner will let me is if I dont have to hand over and $$ when I trade, which should be easy.

But I was surfing now to see if I can find a dealer in US for an R because we should be getting stunning deals at the mo with weak US$.

So drop me an email because we might be able to save some freight costs if we import together.

Dean

scott2ride
12-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Hi Dean
Whats your email address? I cant email you through the board as you've got emails blocked.

Email me on scottwilson@free.net.nz or phone 021740222

I've organised prices and shipping already so we can include you too. Its a great deal>