PDA

View Full Version : Harley to buy MV Augusta?

TimS
06-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Hmmmm...

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/06/05/afx5083163.html

Ape Man 2007
06-06-2008, 08:39 AM
V-Rod Engine on an F4.... a V-twin MV.

:bangwall:

Superlite 17k
06-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Doesn't Harley already own a sportbike company that they don't support?

Buell has some good ideas, but they were crippled by using HD's engine. The move to a Rotax motor is a step in the right direction, but they're late to the game.

Alterego
06-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Doesn't Harley already own a sportbike company that they don't support?

Buell has some good ideas, but they were crippled by using HD's engine. The move to a Rotax motor is a step in the right direction, but they're late to the game.

Good ideas?? Seen lots of theories from Buell but nothing good has come from them.

Bill in OKC
06-06-2008, 01:03 PM
There are also stories of TATA buying MV. I read one version in the last Cycle News. TATA just bought Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/22/mahindra-joins-tata-as-interested-party-to-purchase-mv-agusta/

I've got a friend who says MV needs money to produce their new 675 triple - it is supposedly ready to go except for the bucks. Deja-vu? Where have I heard this before? The Castiglioni brothers are looking for cash without having to give up control.

OreoGaborio
06-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Good ideas?? Seen lots of theories from Buell but nothing good has come from them.
Obviously you're looking in the wrong places. The 1125R is having some pretty amazing racing success in Europe & Canada. Just a matter of time before it shows up in more mainstream racing.

JohnG.
06-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Obviously you're looking in the wrong places. The 1125R is having some pretty amazing racing success in Europe & Canada. Just a matter of time before it shows up in more mainstream racing.

Apparently,with some Jorno flogged ,stock,demo bikes :worship:

staedtler
06-07-2008, 11:09 AM
man,...at a harley forum, there's about a 130 hits with no replies...

i guess they really don't care what the moco. does....go figure...

http://http://www.hdforums.com/forumid_221/p_2/tmode_1/smode_1/tt.htm

Superlite 17k
06-07-2008, 12:56 PM

Theories are on concept/show bikes, not production motorcycles.

The Buell XB series may not be a top-performing sport bike, but I certainly appreciate their style and fact that they are different. The fuel-in-frame design may not be better than a conventional tank, but it's cool that someone is trying it. Same thing with the brake design. The exhaust is the only thing that I've seen spread to other manufacturers.

I'll give Buell my kudos, but not my money partially because of the HD association.

DeBenGuzzi
06-08-2008, 04:07 AM
MV has been shoping around for awhile I read an article, must have been a year ago or more, that MV Agusta was forsale for 1 dollar, it was for real the controlling intrest in the company was for sale for one dollar, any dollar, US, Canadian, Euro, whatever the catch you would have to be able and willing to assume the 200million in debt the company is currently sinking in oh yeah line me right up here's my dolla :happy:

Jet Nero
06-17-2008, 08:34 PM
I believe it was none other than Forbes that printed a story some time ago about HD possibly buying Ducati. An executive manager at one of the two companies even commented on the possible "synergies" between the two companies. The point is, it's a business decision...

Bill in OKC
06-17-2008, 08:56 PM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/June/9-15/jun1108mv-agusta-deny-harley-davidson-buy-out/?&R=EPI-101028

gsaltus
06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Wasn't the first rumor they where going to partner up with Ducati.

Bill in OKC
07-11-2008, 10:11 AM
They done did it...
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jul/080711b.htm

Ape Man 2007
07-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Another Link:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/retail/harley-davidson-acquire-mv-agusta-group-expanding-presence-europe/-1073619092

evandewan
07-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Harley at least understands motorcycles and what Americans and Europeans expect in their machines. Plus, deny it if you think I'm wrong, but no motorcycle company has "included" its customers into its way of life like Harley. I ride by the dealership on the weekend and there are large gatherings of people eating ,talking, grooving to the music provided (typically a band). No doubt, Harley is a marketing machine with money and name/brand recognition. I cannot help to think it will be good for MV in the long run: another brand with a long and proud history will continue! I'm sure they will appreciate the following MV has developed over the years and work to strengthen the brand. Good decision by Harley!

Quirky
07-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Yeap, looks like it is true. The deal has been announced, and will take place now in case there will be no complications.

I don't know if that's such a good thing, though. Perhaps Cagiva had a bit better luck or choice than Benelli, perhaps an American cruiser factory is a lesser evil than a Chinese scooter company, who knows. But still, a bike made by MV Agusta and by Harley couldn't be much more different, further away from each other, and HD is apparently merely interested in expansion into the European market. Oh well, at least the Milwaukee dollars will keep Cagiva afloat for the time being, and won't go belly up in the near future.
I just hope they won't start selling cruisers with MV Agusta logo on them... :rolleyes:

gyges_1
07-12-2008, 07:14 PM
...and HD is apparently merely interested in expansion into the European market...

Or perhaps the HD marketing machine will be able to replace Ducati as the Italian object of affection for most in the states with MVs intead.
The Motor Company is the only firm to make it okay to spend 30k on a bike without thinking twice. Perhaps they can pull the same thing with MV.

Of course, I dunno too many 60+ year olds that will punish themselves on a sportbike only to use 2% of the bikes capabilities. :happy:

But hey, I'm excited to see this play out.

Axecent
07-26-2008, 04:54 AM
Of course, I dunno too many 60+ year olds that will punish themselves on a sportbike only to use 2% of the bikes capabilities. :happy:

HEY. I resemble that comment.

gyges_1
07-26-2008, 08:27 AM
HEY. I resemble that comment.

:funnypost
I'm sure you use at least 4% of the MV :-P

Axecent
07-26-2008, 10:09 AM
:funnypost
I'm sure you use at least 4% of the MV :-P

I think I am going to ride the Tambo over to my local HD shop and see if they got an oil filter for it......or maybe a 250 rear tire :) and then ask to meet their authorized & trained MV mechanic.:kidding:

I've already noticed an oil spot under it. I think it is coming from the filler area. I suspect it has developed some form of reflux since hearing the news.

Now, where is that sandpaper....I don't want anyone over there thinking I have ANY chicken strips left......

gyges_1
07-26-2008, 10:33 AM
I think I am going to ride the Tambo over to my local HD shop and see if they got an oil filter for it......or maybe a 250 rear tire :) and then ask to meet their authorized & trained MV mechanic.:kidding:

I've already noticed an oil spot under it. I think it is coming from the filler area. I suspect it has developed some form of reflux since hearing the news.

Now, where is that sandpaper....I don't want anyone over there thinking I have ANY chicken strips left......

Make sure you use fine grain, I've found the course stuff to be a little too obvious. :happy:

Axecent
07-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Make sure you use fine grain, I've found the course stuff to be a little too obvious. :happy:

The coarse grain is good for that crash damage look, though.....with a little rat tailed file thrown in.

Motofrog
10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
MECHANIC Tut tut. Surely you will have a technician:blah::blah:

norcolmille
10-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Harley will help MV -keep the doors open and expand the marque

An influx of cash and most importantly a much better supplier network -when Buell moved into Harley in 1996 - the robust supply chain improved parts delivery

much like the earlier Buell model - only selected dealers may be qualified to support and sell MV's

initially their were some Buell only dealers....
and PRIOR to the merger we have an MV Augusta dealer who is also an HD dealer ...in Colorado

Pike's Peak Harley-Davidson & Buell 5867 North Nevada Ave Colorado Springs CO Colorado 80918 (719) 278-2300

dream bikes - an MV or a Bimota ....

Axecent
10-27-2008, 05:25 AM
Harley will help MV -keep the doors open and expand the marque

An influx of cash and most importantly a much better supplier network -when Buell moved into Harley in 1996 - the robust supply chain improved parts delivery

much like the earlier Buell model - only selected dealers may be qualified to support and sell MV's

initially their were some Buell only dealers....
and PRIOR to the merger we have an MV Augusta dealer who is also an HD dealer ...in Colorado

Pike's Peak Harley-Davidson & Buell 5867 North Nevada Ave Colorado Springs CO Colorado 80918 (719) 278-2300

dream bikes - an MV or a Bimota ....

I know of NO intention for HD to handle any MV business in the US, according to those I have spoken to.

jcarl
10-28-2009, 08:37 PM
harley wants to sell them now

mad
10-28-2009, 08:46 PM
harley wants to sell them now

That is correct sir. :spankie:

Dan M
10-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Right, they suddenly dropped production of Buels and MV is on the block.
Things are not rosy in Milwaukee right now.

RSVRFACTORY
10-28-2009, 10:43 PM
it has to suck to be a northern central city..Detroit and now Milwaukee

Domino
10-29-2009, 05:49 PM
it has to suck to be a northern central city..Detroit and now Milwaukee

Probably not any worse than usual:nutts:

Phuqueouit
11-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Is it really true?

And HD understand what Europeans want from a motorcycle? Only if it is a Lazy-boy fatgut 3000!

No, I will say it as far as MV are concerned....

There goes the neighbourhood!

:WTF:

Diablo1
11-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Is it really true?

And HD understand what Europeans want from a motorcycle? Only if it is a Lazy-boy fatgut 3000!

No, I will say it as far as MV are concerned....

There goes the neighbourhood!

:WTF:

You're a little late to the party.
HD bought MV about a year ago.
Now, HD is in big financial trouble from bad biker loans - basically they would sell a bike to anyone who breathed. So they have decided to sell off MV to the highest bidder to generate cash. If MV gets sold off, there is a possibility that Tamburini may return to design the bikes. After HD bought MV, Tamburini retired. But, my impression of events was that he quit because he didn't care to work under the control of HD.

Dan M
11-01-2009, 09:31 AM
- .....basically they would sell a bike to anyone who breathed.

That's not entirely true. You had to smell bad too.

Phuqueouit
11-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Ha ha, nice one from both of you, i didnt look at the thread leader dates and now know what is going on.

I have my head up my bum building my bike and missed a lot of news, what with that and redundancy, I tend not to have my finger on the pulse of a live specimen!