PDA

View Full Version : Landed today....

Dragster pilota
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Ciao Mana enthusiasts....

Today the 2008 Mana 850 press bike for the Scandinavian Aprilia importer landed here with me, it has some 1340km on the odo so it's broken in, I will have and drive it for the next 2-3 weeks, I'll be doing some 50km back & forth to work every day (unless it rains) and on Sundays I'll be going for longer trips with it. Today I ride a 08 750 Shiver that has some 1000km on it so far, the last two years I have been riding a 06 1000TuonoR and a 07 1000Tuono Factory (call me spoiled). The Shiver has become a HUGE love, the bike's just great, sure a bit down on power on the Tuono but it's more agile and is a monster on the rear wheel, just love to ride it....

First impression of the Mana is a solid but slightly overweight bike, love the thick antivibration rubber on the pegs, the helmet compartment (easily fits a 6-pac), seats ultra comfortable. I had a short ride in auto, Sport it's quick and responsive, Touring it feels like any maxi scooter like riding on air seemless power and sweet, have yet to investigate manual shifting but plans are doing some 400-500km on Sunday (working Saturdays) and then we'll see.....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/DP-Race-Tech/2%20Wheel%20stuff/mana.jpg

DP says: Will this be a hate or love relationship....

Dragster pilota
05-31-2008, 03:11 AM
OK so taking it home after work last night....

Drove it in Drive Touring mode down to the local Supemarket, picked up a bag with 1L milk, 2x1L juce, a decent sice porkloin, BBQ sauce, some potatoes and when I came out it all fit in the tank (?!?!!?), a guy came almost running over and asked "what the hell did you just do", I opened and showed him, he was totally floored, will com by the shop one day to have a testride. Switched to Gear Sport and of I went, this shifting with your left hand is great, the bike is real sweet in Gear mode and as Micha of AF1 pointed out you can stick it i a way to high gear but just with a couple of pushes it downshifts to where you want to be. At the 1/3 mark I turn of on small winding roads and switched into Drive Sport and just had a blast driving down the small country roads going home.....

This morning I took the long way into the shop, wide blacktop and used the Gear mode passing cars and the whole feeling driving the bike is just safe. Once pulling into town I went into Drive Touring and let the vario handle the shifting, it's efforlessly....

Highnotes: Front brakes, as usual Aprilia radial brakes are killer, not in the Tuono class but sweet. The tank compartment, why is it only Derbi that has done this before or... The seat, I guess you can logg hours & hours in it without getting a numb ass....

Lownotes: An annoying rumbling vibration in the whole bike between 160 -180kph it's soo bad my left hand went numb for a while, the throttle has an insanely long travel, to wring it out you almost have to "re-take" a second grip on it, milage seems not as good on it as the 750 Shiver with much more power and that I drive real hard, have yet to see real figures but going by the average consumption gauge the Mana is thirsty, big overweight and a bit cumbersome, yes I'm spoiled with the Shiver but the Mana feels like it would do well going to Weight Watchers...

All in all after 2 trips: I could get used to this, swithcing gears with your fingers (if it was mine the foot shift would be removed), beeing able to let it shift auto, the seat is just sooo nice (compared to the Tuono & Shiver) but the killer is the huge compartment where the fuel are on other bikes, I tested a bunch of different helmets last night (I'm an helmet fetishist with way over 50 on the shelf) and the only one that did not fit was a flip-up Schubert...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/DP-Race-Tech/2%20Wheel%20stuff/mana1.jpg

DP says: Today after closing I'll be back in the sadle for a loooong trip in the sun...

pete roper
05-31-2008, 03:43 AM
Highnotes: Front brakes, as usual Aprilia radial brakes are killer, not in the Tuono class but sweet. The tank compartment, why is it only Derbi that has done this before or... The seat, I guess you can logg hours & hours in it without getting a numb ass....

Lownotes: An annoying rumbling vibration in the whole bike between 160 -180kph it's soo bad my left hand went numb for a while, the throttle has an insanely long travel, to wring it out you almost have to "re-take" a second grip on it, milage seems not as good on it as the 750 Shiver with much more power and that I drive real hard, have yet to see real figures but going by the average consumption gauge the Mana is thirsty, big overweight and a bit cumbersome, yes I'm spoiled with the Shiver but the Mana feels like it would do well going to Weight Watchers...

All in all after 2 trips: I could get used to this, swithcing gears with your fingers (if it was mine the foot shift would be removed),

Which all bodes very well for what I want.

I'd like fully adjustable suspension but that's eay enough to retro-fit.

Brakes? The Shiver forum has a whole load of folks getting their knickers in a knot over whether they are *Real* Brembo's or '*Knock-offs*. Look, caliper manufacure is pretty simple. The real issues are likely to be master to slave cylinder ratios and pad and disc material, any or all of which can be adjusted to suit.

Vibration? No, not good. But bar end weights will probably be able to be used to suit any individual rider. Most of us travel at fairly constant velocities, a lot of us can't travel at 160-180KPH for any length of time regularly anyway! Over here if you're caught doing that you spend a night in the cells with a large Tongan sodomite and if you're really lucky they won't beat you with telephone books!

Thirst? Probably depends on how you ride it. It sounds like you were giving it the old 'Hurry-Up' a bit so you'd expect the ecconomy to drop off a bit but even so it's going to be better than many if set up right. Lets face it if we can't afford fuel we shouldnt be using a motorised converyance really should we?

From what I heard from the importer here the Shiver motor was originally going to be used for the Mana but it snapped belts like a 12c. suspender belt on an upmarket tart so it was detuned. A shame in a lot of ways as if Hoggly-Doggly can transmit 100 HP plus through a belt you'd think that Aprilia could get Gates or someone to come up with a similarly robust unit? But there again Hogglies use a toothed belt not a tapered variable drive belt so perhaps there are currently limits? Don't ask me! I know virtually nothing about belt technology! Hopefully we will get an option for a stronger belt down the line, not so much for greater power, (If I wanted beserker power I wouldn't be buying a Mana!) but for longevity. If Aprilia reckon on a 20,000Km belt change interval I reckon they will either last forever or I'll be wearing them out in 10K:happy:

As for 'Weight Watchers'? I ride Guzzis! The Mana looks like a bulemic supermodel compared to my Griso:bump::happy::happy::happy:

Pete

Dragster pilota
05-31-2008, 05:01 AM
pete roper in da house:
As for 'Weight Watchers'? I ride Guzzis! The Mana looks like a bulemic supermodel compared to my Griso

I have to say you'r a bit off there, last summer I spent one week doing some 1200km on a brand new 850 Griso and it's way more nimble than the Mana I really liked the Griso so much I placed an order for the 4-valve but decided that since we sell Aprilia and not Guzzi (they come from the same importer over here) I would stick with riding Aprilia even this year. Griso V Mana I would say driving 1-0, convinience 0-1, so it's a tie....

pete roper in da house:
Over here if you're caught doing that you spend a night in the cells with a large Tongan sodomite and if you're really lucky they won't beat you with telephone books

I know, have spent 4 or 5 nights in Las Vegas County Jail for street racing/speeding.

pete roper in da house:
Vibration? No, not good.

The vibration is not bad but it's annoying, it starts out light at 130kph and just grows, it buggs the s*it out of me but could be something that's not 100% with this bike, I'll be doing an oil change on it before I start complaning about it more. I have had other "press bikes" from Aprilia that has been "serviced" by someone who don't care and use the wrong oils. The brakes are great even if they only are Aprilia copies of Brembo, I think I have read a sevice comunication about this, the RSV are real Brembo & Shiver, Mana & RS125 get Aprilia mades, could be right or not....

DP says: Still this bike is addictive......

pete roper
05-31-2008, 09:51 PM
pete roper in da house:
As for 'Weight Watchers'? I ride Guzzis! The Mana looks like a bulemic supermodel compared to my Griso

I have to say you'r a bit off there, last summer I spent one week doing some 1200km on a brand new 850 Griso and it's way more nimble than the Mana I really liked the Griso so much I placed an order for the 4-valve but decided that since we sell Aprilia and not Guzzi (they come from the same importer over here) I would stick with riding Aprilia even this year. Griso V Mana I would say driving 1-0, convinience 0-1, so it's a tie....

I would scarcely describe the Griso as 'Nimble' but my comments were not meant to be seen a sbeing derogatory. Only truthful! Guzzis, any of 'em, are by current standards heavy bikes. I personally don't mind a bit of weight in a road bike. The roads where I live are universally awful by European or most US standards, I don't have a problem with them, I accept that living in a huge continent with a population of only 20 million means that simple mathematics will dictate that we can't afford a system of superhighways with surfaces like billiard tables. I reckon we're pretty lucky to have what tar roads we do have but their surfaces and finish is usually far from smooth. A very light 'Sports' bike can be a real handful on such roads whereas my Grisos, both the 1100 and the 1200 handle them with aplomb.

If I wanted something insanely light and sporty I'd want something like a 'Prilla 250RS or a Suzuki RGV, there's NOTHING like a 2 stroke screamer but by now I should of grown out of that sort of thing :happy:

As it is I'm getting a Mana to use as my everyday workhorse and touring bike. As far as I'm concerned its the answer to all my prayers as far as a replacement for my beloved Convert goes. Not that the mighty 'Vert will be being sold! Simply that she'll go on club number plates and get treated a lot more gently from now on, she deserves it after 28 years of stirling service!

Pete

Dragster pilota
06-02-2008, 11:52 AM
On Saturday I spent some 270km on the Mana and it's comfy....

After closing shop I topped up the tank and set out on twisty country roads in Gear/Sport mode, this is sweet, it turns in, breaks and is just soooo much fun to drive, a short stint on the freeway going between 5 to 7'th gear passing cars on all sides. The last part into Stockholm is a wide 2 laner with plenty of traffic lights and I hit red on every light, strangely for the first time in my life I LOVE IT!!!! You roll between cars to hit "pole possition" when it turns green you NAIL IT, one orange, two orange, three orange hit + and 2'nd gear, one orange, two orange, three orange hit + and 3'rd gear now I'm doing 120-140 and it's time to hit the brakes for next red light, roll between cars to "pole possition" when it turns green again you NAIL IT, one orange, two orange, three orange hit + and 2'nd gear, one orange, two orange, three orange hit + and 3'rd gear now I'm doing 120-140 and it's time to hit the brakes for next red light. I COULD DO THIS FOREVER!!!!! At one light a dude in a brand new BMW Z-something convertible tried to keep up but he had none what so ever chance. Finally in Stockholm it was the day for Stockholm Marathon, people, cars, busses, chaos averywhere so I switched to Drive/Sport and did some creative driving, sidewalks, small back streets, bus lanes, and yes I even hit two pedestrian underpasses to get to my favorite newsstand, bought a stack of Hot Rod & Bike rags, stuffed them under the tank and pulled away. The fuel warning light came on, s*it something must be wrong, i topped up 130km ago and it should have 16Liter in the tank, found a gas station and topped up 9.9L, the fuel warning light should go on when there's 2-3 liters left and not just under ½ tank....

Did some more down town driving in Drive/Sport it's a gas!!! Turing the nose towards home I hit Drive/Touring and hit the freeway, rolling at between 140-180kph all the 750km home, stopped at the locall Thai "hole in the wall", sat at the sidewalk eating and looking at the bike, not really that exciting looking, quite avreage, don't turn heads like the Shiver or Tuono, untill you open "the tank" then everybody around just have to come over and look, all in all a great day no numb ass only a numb left foot from the verry annoying vibrations....

Likes: Gear/Sport NHRA Style drag racing, I could do this all day long. Drive/Sport great bike for the twisties, the seat is really comfortable but the best part of this bike is "the tank" compartment, it swallows all that you need it to and a bit more, don't really know if I dare to stick my cat in there like Micah did...

Disslikes: A fuel warning light that comes on at ½ tank is totally useless and the vibrations, I have tested in all modes but at 110kph it starts and goes on untill 180kp when it stops, it feels slightly diffrent frequency in different modes so I guess it has something with the CVT to do, it was so bad my left foot went numb on the freeway sprint, this really ruins a great bike but as I said before I'll give it an oil change to see if it cures it....

DP says: http://dpracetech.blogspot.com/

Micah / AF1 Racing
06-02-2008, 11:57 AM
DP...did you get any strange tingling (down there) sensations after riding the Mana for a while. I got after an hour long ride had an odd moment...will remember to sit a little further back me thinks.

Dragster pilota
06-02-2008, 12:09 PM
micah in da house:
DP...did you get any strange tingling (down there) sensations after riding the Mana for a while.

Noop here in Sweden you get it from all the lightly dressed girls on the sidewalk this time of the year, seriously noop but I have had my left hand and foot go numb from the vibrations in the bike and now I get the thick flexing rubber foot pegs, I guess it's one way to handle it....

Untill the custom guys get the opening fuel tank this must be the most awesom TJ to San Diego smuggler, a bit to small for a Mexican but you can fit a decent bag of weed in there, who would put that in the fuel???

Really like this bike and yes like you said, over a slight bump with the right rpm it will wheelie and it's possible to keep it there for quite a stretch....

Hope the vibrations on mine is just on mine, Micah have you felt it anywhere but your pants??? at what speeds???

DP says: Have had 2 testdrives on it today and both customers were floored with the eaze of driving and I think I have sold one....

Edit: You CAN scrape and make sparks with it to!!!! Ds.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/DP-Race-Tech/2%20Wheel%20stuff/mana2.jpg

Micah / AF1 Racing
06-02-2008, 12:32 PM
140 kph is as fast as mine has seen just yet. I live in a touristy sort of place with a LOT of radar cops trolling. I feel some vibration, not from the engine but probably the tranny since 90 degree twins really do not vibrate much. My left foot will be very sensitive to vibration for the next few weeks probably so I will report back. Time to close the wound down there I just re-opened and cleaned and start closing it up properly. Hope butterfly bandages and closures do the trick, I hate doing stitches...especially sober.

Yeah the trunk has a lot of possibilities. For all us gun toting americans and photographers, it is awesome that you can open the trunk by hitting the trigger button while underway.

This bike will sell very well. Smart for Aprilia to compete in a segment with no rivals, very smart.

Dragster pilota
06-02-2008, 12:44 PM
micah in da house:
I feel some vibration, not from the engine but probably the tranny since 90 degree twins really do not vibrate much

That's what I also feel, it's a grinding vibration I have felt on smaller heavily tuned vario scooters but it's way more intrusive on the Mana, although after a while you will not notice it as much except for your limbs going numb, sucks when you put a sleeping foot down at a stop and fall over (haven't done that yet)...

DP says: Take care of that foot, such wounds can turn nasty if not cared for....

Shorts
06-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Interesting read DP. Thanks for posting :cheers:

Dragster pilota
06-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Yesterday Friday June 6'th Swedish Independence day, kind of and I went riding...

Up early to go to local bike club Strul MCC's yearly Indian Swap Meet, the Aprilia was made fun of by a few of the tatto & beard crowd untill I opened the "tank" and stuck down my only find there, when I went to leave a crowd was standing around pointing to no clutch (!?!?!), "what the hell is it???" "left side of the motor looks like that 70's rotary Suzuki" "how is it to ride??", sent of 3 guys for testrides and they all had the same take on the bike, the best commuter bike ever build, sadly you don't do much bike commuting here in Sweden. So I guess it woun't be a line at our door....

Set off to visit an old friend who's heavily involved with Harley Sweden to get a chance to ride his "pre production" XR 1200, again the f*ckin fuel light comes on at 130km, I topp up with 10.1 Liter, it's not even close to time in a bike with a 16 Liter tank. Once at Bernt's place I'm in serious need of water, it's one of those rare Swedish summerdays and the themometer is hitting 27 Celsius in the shade and on the Mana it reads 33 Celsius, awsome ride weather. We set out on small narrow roads switching bikes back and forth, spending the next hours (untill the f*ckin fuel light goes on again) just blasting through one of the most beautifull parts of Sweden, find a gas station and this time 12 liter goes in, this is going to be a long day of gas station hunting. Back a Bernt's house we evaluate, the XR 1200 is sweet but it can not keep up with the Mana in brakes, suspension, frame, comfort, handling, the only thing the XR 1200 did better than the Mana was gather a crowd, we went to a major tourist spot where on a nice day bikes line the sides of the streets and my silver Mana was all of a sudden invisible, maybe a red one would have stood out a bit more. Last thing from Bernt when I left "hook me up with one, for free....."

Set out on a blast back into Stockholm going small country roads, two ferries and some highway, keeping the speed at between 120 - 170kph and just loving it. Switched between Drive/Sport & Gear/Sport most of the day and I just love the feeling of engine braking and the way it works much higher in the rev range in Drive/Sport, the brakes are awesome, the bike always goes where you point it and all of a sudden I'm in Stockhom, CHAOS!!! Cars and people every where, switch into Drive/Touring and just cruise, between lanes, inside, oustide of cars buses and it's just great untill the f*ckin fuel light goes on AGAIN!!! This time 9.9 Liter and 112km. It's getting late so to be able to get to the BBQ at Strul MCC before all food is gone I do a quick stop at the Supermarket picking up some stuff I need and then hit the Freeway for the last 750km home to change some clothes and ride for the party. Switched into Drive/Touring (to maybe keep milage down) I go for it. speeds climbing, almost no cars out and I just go for it, peg the speedo at 220kph and it feels just sooooo firm, no drifting but it still has that annoying vibration that juts gets worse and worse the faster you go, turn off the Freeway for the last 25km of twisties home to Mosta Hill, at the halfway point a red waring light goes on and GEAR is spelled out across the dashboard and it drives like a moped, shit it's dead, I drive verry slowly home and park it. After coming home early this morning I put the key in, turned it on and all was OK, drove it into work this morning trying out all modes and it seems like it's all there, but noticing the vibration beein slightly stronger now, I will hook up the Axone to it if I have the time since after closing it's off to Custom Bike Show Nortälje, part of the AMD Worls Championship Biker Bulid for the prize cermonies and dinner, I guess I have to take the trusty Shiver there.....

All in all June 6'th I did some 470km on the Mana, hooked up with a good friend and made him smile, had a hoot driving it and when checking top speed this morning it said 219kph, sadly something has gone bad on it, don't know now but as soon as it's shipped back to Aprilia they have to deal with it. Would I buy one of these??? YES!!! This is probably one of the few bikes I feel I could spend "my own monney on", it's a perfect bike in many ways and as Micah said: For me it is about the best commuter bike I could want or need while still being enough fun for weekend warrior stuff and the occasional highway trip of a few hundred miles WORD!!! Sadly I feel again that Aprilia has let loose a not 100% finished product on us dealers, there were the early recall of the Mana, I have talked to some other European Dealers that have customers notice the vibrations in the bike but not (yet) complaining about as much as questioning it, I hope it's just a quick fix because this bike is great and I would love to sell a ton of them....

DP says: Sorry sweet Mana that I hurt you....

Dragster pilota
06-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Yesterday Sunday drove by the shop and did a quick diagnos in the display, no fault codes, strange ohh well it's nice out and a ride down to Stockholm visiting some friends would be nice, was a bit easier on it during the whole day since temps hit the low 30's (Celcius!!!) most of the day, again the fuel light comes on every 9 liters of fuel and it buggs the crap out of me but all in all it gave me NO (other) problems during the day, spent most of the time in Drive/Sport, wich is the mode I have come to love on this bike, even stayed (almost) at the speedlimits most of the day, wich means 50kph, 90kph & 110kph with an occational blast up to 140kph, it is just soooooo sweet going from standstill to 130kph, over and over again....

This morning I mounted up to go into work and it says BELT on the display and this is what I have suspected all the time, the belt on my bike is not OK, it's what have created the vibrations all the time and I really hope a new belt will get it back to as new again (since I will use it for a week off from work early July), I really hope that there were nothing else wrong with and it was this one and only Mana and all the others are just fine and dandy. Tomorrow it goes back to Aprilia to get taken care of and I will fill you all in on what was wrong as soon as I know......

It's with big sadness I let this bike go, it's just the perfect bike in all ways and I wish that more people would be brave enough to get one of these or at least go to your local Aprilia Dealer and have a ride on one and if you have, like the Dalai Lama says: A mind is like an umbrella, if not open it don't work you can NOT be other than amazed by this bike, sure the cool dudes will point out "it's just an overgrown scooter" so what????? it's a bike that will lugg miles & miles at what ever tempo you need and it's probably the easiest bike in the world to loose your license on since speed just builds up in an instant, I would almost go as far as saying: buy this bike or you'r not 100% sane.....

DP says: For 2009 I will most likely own one of these bikes, paid with my own hard earned cash....

Dragster pilota
06-14-2008, 07:24 AM
The verdict's in.....

Talked to the Service tech at Aprilia and the bike was given a new belt and the fuel sender was also replaced, nothing else was obviously worong with it, the GEAR warning that came on was "most likely due to the shift motor beeing overheated" and sure I can buy that the day I had that happen it was between 27-32 Celsius all day and I did some 470km in a really hard & high tempo and since it has not complained again I hope that's it. The belt thoug beeing worn out at 2400km when Aprilia recommends change at 20.000km is a bit of a concern, sure the bike was unpacked and started up, driven some 500meters then handed to a jurno on one of Swedens bike magazines and it spent a weekend on a trackday with several drivers, it's obvious that a belt will need some breaking in before it's used & abused but still 2400km is not even close so the belt will be shipped off to Italy for Aprilia Tech to have a look at. All this makes me feel that the vibrations was all due to a bad belt and without that THIS BIKE RULES!!!! Again I can only shower it with possitive remarks I have NOTHING to complain about and hope to see that I was right when I get i back first week of July when I'll do some 2500km on it, looking forward to it....

DP says: After this info I will not hesitate buying one of these.....

zaprudanec
06-14-2008, 04:36 PM
its in mana belt of kevlar? i have 4.000 km and dont have problem with belt

Dragster pilota
06-16-2008, 11:43 AM
zaprudanec in da house:
its in mana belt of kevlar?

I would guess that, Aprilia only supplies a part number with not much more info and if it´s a kevlar belt it's even more important to break it in than a regular Gates reinforced rubber type belt....

Kevlar belt break in proces according to Malossi Racing Service:

1 Start motor leave on idle for atleast 30 min to get belt warmed up without any pressure added to it...

2 Stop motor and let it all cool, atleast another 30 min...

3 Start up motor and leave to idle 10 min before going on a 20km drive with verry gentle throttle and low speeds...

4 Turn motor off and let cool down thouroughly...

Now all the different layers of carbon, kevlar, rubber, etc. has been fused together and the belt will have a long life.....

This goes for most kevlar belts on high power scooters and would probably not hurt on The Mana if it's using a Kevlar belt....

DP says: Have seen some balls of spagetti looking stuff in the CVT on scoots when this is not done...

zaprudanec
06-16-2008, 12:00 PM
whay I ask that? because my max speed with mana, now, is 190 km/h. in sport drive or auto! (Yours?)
now i have feelings, so mana dont accelerate good after 4.000 km.

sry on my eng

Dragster pilota
06-17-2008, 03:39 AM
zaprudanec in da house:
sry on my eng

That's no problem....

The Mana I had I ran the speedo all the way to 220 and when looking at top speed it said 219kph so I guess it's capable of atleast that, since "mine" was not broken in I would guess it could be squezed out 2-5 more kph after som more km's are put on it. Not having found a rev counter I would not know at what revs it stops pulling, doing some "stop light GP" I found that it would go all the way to the revlimiter in a flash, after the 3'd yellow it would light up red & cut out in an instant....

DP says: Can't wait to get it back....