PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade lights?

Jebediah
12-10-2003, 03:32 AM
I have ditech, european version (dual bulb);

i wonder, do the us version - single bulb - serves its proper better?

are there any better (i had stronger 20w, but they melted the plastic and they keep on burning out) lights for ditech? which company is it making it?

Have you seen this (http://www.cowboysofjustice.com/sr50/light/index.shtml)

phidauex
12-10-2003, 03:48 AM
From what I've heard, the US version of the light is brighter, which is what I have. It doesn't look as cool, but it works a lot better. It is a 35W/35W system, and you can buy up to 45W/45W halogen bulbs that will fit (though I haven't tried them yet, waiting for this one to burn out).

That cowboysofjustice.com page is mine. ;)

That driving light install worked fine, but it was pretty hard on the battery. Unfortunately, that SR was stolen shortly after I wrote that up, so I didn't have time to figure out how good of a solution it was long term.

peace,
sam

PAUL
12-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by phidauex
From what I've heard, the US version of the light is brighter, which is what I have. It doesn't look as cool, but it works a lot better. It is a 35W/35W system, and you can buy up to 45W/45W halogen bulbs that will fit (though I haven't tried them yet, waiting for this one to burn out).

That cowboysofjustice.com page is mine. ;)

That driving light install worked fine, but it was pretty hard on the battery. Unfortunately, that SR was stolen shortly after I wrote that up, so I didn't have time to figure out how good of a solution it was long term.

peace,
sam

the american version has one bulb? pics plz :P

upgrading it to 45W halogen bulbs is a bad idea... Halogen lights get much warmer (hotter) and can cause the casing around the bulbs to melt because it is not resistent to that heat.

phidauex
12-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by PAUL
the american version has one bulb? pics plz :P

upgrading it to 45W halogen bulbs is a bad idea... Halogen lights get much warmer (hotter) and can cause the casing around the bulbs to melt because it is not resistent to that heat.

Apparently some people have gone to a 35w/35w halogen (the original bulb isn't a halogen) without trouble, but that is just hearsay. The internals are pretty well set-up on the US light, and the bulb isn't particularly close to any of the plastic. I'm going to try a 35w/35w halogen once this one burns out.

peace,
sam

Jebediah
12-10-2003, 03:42 PM
phidauex

u have a very nice scooter, great choise in color (i have the same :D )

hm, but, here in slovenia, i cant get halogen bulbs ;(

em, worying about heat ; you just take out those big black ends on the light (if u look from inside the scooter)

:fangs:

748rsvr999r
12-10-2003, 08:46 PM
I had mentioned in a previous post that I had upgraded my 02 Ditech to a 35/35 halogen bulb. Fits well, brighter whiter light, downside is that it's a bit expensive considering what it is. Was tough to find but finally found it at www.mopedwarehouse.com.

THIS SCOOTS A HOOT!

Fran

:peace:

Jebediah
12-11-2003, 03:09 AM
748rsvr999r :

what did u exactly do? just cgange the bulbs?

748rsvr999r
12-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Since my Ditech is a 2002 USA version it was just the matter of changing the bulb. I do recall reading here in an earlier post those with dual headlamp E$uro versions had problems withgmelting the plastic lenses when upgrading to higher wattage bulbs to obtain more light output.

THIS SCOOTS A HOOT!

Fran

TiminIndy
12-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Hey Fran,

So was the one you got the one for $16 that said Tomos 35/35?

I guess I don't mind paying the $16 if that's the only answer to better lighting. What percentage improvement would you say you had? Is there any more drain on the battery?

748rsvr999r
12-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Thats the one. It's a little difficult to guess the percentage of higher output due to a slightly different beam pattern, they are brighter and less of a yellow cast then the o.e. bulb. I did see in a catalog from Germany that offered a 35w/35w Halogen bulb, but from a different manufacturer and they stated a 25% improvement, along with a wider beam pattern, and this seems to be the case for the Tomos bulb as well. Hope this helps.
Fran

THIS SCOOTS A HOOT!

P.S. Since the o.e. bulb is the same wattage as this replacement should make no difference to electrical system.

ditechspain
12-12-2003, 06:36 AM
If anyone has the Aprilia part numbers for that one piece light and any frame fittings it needs, including the dipping switch, I would appreciate you posting them and then I can try to order through a European dealer. Not too bothered about the switch as it appears to be interchangeable with, or identical to, a lot of Piaggios and also some Kymcos and probably other scoots if I look enough.

BTW when anyone in the States is envying the "cool look" of the twin lights, remember that the lens is probably less than two inches across and the bit that stands out in the photos is just a 1 inch rim of chromed plastic. In other words, about half the apparent width is just an optical illusion.

748rsvr999r
12-12-2003, 07:09 AM
Go to the links section on this forum, in there you will find a link to the parts fisches for Aprilia. Take advantage of the resources available here. www.aprilia.no/spareparts.asp

THIS SCOOTS A HOOT!

Fran

Jebediah
12-12-2003, 09:29 AM
dont understand a word :D

Haribolman
12-12-2003, 03:35 PM
I can highly recommend the ex-technik light conversion. It comes from Germany and I found the company very good to deal with.

The ex-technik kit basically replaces the Aprilia black plastic "tubes" that the light globes sit in, with heat-resistant tubes that can handle the heat from the halogen globes. The globes they use are actually not automotive globes, but the type you use in a house with a transformer. This is good because it makes them relatively cheap and easily available. The two individual circular lens are also done away with so there is no chance of anything plastic melting.

When putting the kit together I was a bit dubious as to whether the new lights would really work (especially without a lens!) but I've got to admit it's brilliant! The light is strong, has good depth and after more than six months use across some pretty rough roads I have no worries about the durability of the new globes. And the bike retains that cool dual-light look.

Highly recommend it!

Jebediah
12-13-2003, 03:53 AM
hm, any webpage to see?

Haribolman
12-13-2003, 05:20 AM
Yes, it's this one....

http://www.ex-technik.de/Aprilia_spot.htm

Jebediah
12-13-2003, 05:34 AM
and wh00t do ou get?

just bulbs or..?

the price is 35euros?

em, do the ship to other countries - like slovenia?

Haribolman
12-13-2003, 05:50 AM
My kit was sent all the way to Australia, so I guess Slovenia is possible!

The kit consists of two heavy-duty plastic tubes that you use to replace the exisiting tubes and three globes (one spare...mine actually came with four globes...he threw in an extra one!)

Anyway, the hardest part is taking the existing headlight housing out and pulling it apart. It's siliconed together and it's nearly impossible to prise apart. And once you've got it apart you have to disasemble the inner sections and replace them with the new parts. It's a relativley simple process, but it is possible to stuff it up if you're not patient and if you don't think about it properly because the new parts aren't the same as the old ones and are mounted differently. It's hard to describe but when you do the conversion you'll know what I mean.

I actually found the most annoying bit was cleaning away the old silicon that holds the outer lens to the headlight case. It took quite some time to clean it out so that new silicon could be used to form a watertight seal again.

So it really depends how proficient you are working on things.

Jebediah
12-13-2003, 09:47 AM
hm, i sent the mail;

but i sent it in english...hope it is good

Haribolman
12-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Yes, the guy who responded to all my emails could read and write English.

Jebediah
12-19-2003, 05:37 PM
em, i just got 2 12v 20w halogen bulbs for ditech

;)

tommorow im going to install it, and im gona try to solve the problem with overheating like this, that im going to cut 2 small holls (one for each bulb) and i think that the bulbs shuldnt keep heating up! :bitchslap

Haribolman
12-20-2003, 01:23 AM
If I remember correctly, when I tried halogen globes in the original Aprilia headlight assembly they caused the reflector to go black (it's originally chrome). And this made the lights WORSE than original! Also, the black plastic tubes started to melt at the rear where the lights mount and it was nearly impossible to get the globes back out!

In short, it didn't work with horrible results.

DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Jebediah
12-20-2003, 02:46 AM
hm, im going to try today, just to install te bulbs, without any cutting, if te results are horrible, then im going to put back the original

Haribolman
12-20-2003, 06:30 AM
Problem is, when you put back the original the reflectors will have been blackened and you'll get large black spots shining onto the road!

Jebediah
12-20-2003, 09:50 AM
hm, this ``blackened´´....can i wipe off this dark stuff?

Haribolman
12-20-2003, 04:06 PM
No, unfortunately you can't wipe it off. It actually melts away the reflective coating leaving uncoated metal underneath. I tried spraying my reflectors with chrome paint but it didn't really help. Basically, once they've been destroyed they're unfixable!

justo316
12-23-2003, 12:06 PM
I just installed some additional lights, two small 55W car spot lights. I attached them to the upper screw of the front air vents. Makes an absolute stunning difference! When you see the scoot coming, it looks like a big capacity bike is coming towards you. Doesn't really make the bike look stupid either.

The lights were VERY easy to install. The next thing I have to do though, is wire it up so that you can only turn the spotlights on IF the engine is running. I don't want people turning my lights on while I'm gone and flatten my battery.

Now when I ride at night, if I turn off the spotties, it feels like I have no lights on at all.

TiminIndy
12-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by justo316
I just installed some additional lights, two small 55W car spot lights.

any chance we can see some pics??--sounds like a good idea

Haribolman
12-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Hey justo that's an interesting fix. I toyed with the idea of a spotlight UNDER the headlights (as someone on this forum had done previously...I think it was phideaux?), but I'd never thought of mounting them where you have. Good solution, and much cheaper too!

But I'm very happy with mine and it keeps the bike looking original and clean.

phidauex
12-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by justo316
I just installed some additional lights, two small 55W car spot lights. I attached them to the upper screw of the front air vents. Makes an absolute stunning difference! When you see the scoot coming, it looks like a big capacity bike is coming towards you. Doesn't really make the bike look stupid either.

The lights were VERY easy to install. The next thing I have to do though, is wire it up so that you can only turn the spotlights on IF the engine is running. I don't want people turning my lights on while I'm gone and flatten my battery.

Now when I ride at night, if I turn off the spotties, it feels like I have no lights on at all.

Whew, TWO 55W? I was running one 55W on my carbed SR, and it was putting a noticeable drain on my battery! Keep a close eye on your charge.

If you want to wire them up so they can only work when the engine is running, you'll need to get an automotive relay. Hook the coil connections of the relay through the headlight circuit, then run the power from the battery through the relay, and then up into your switch, and into the lights. That way the switch needs to be on, and power needs to be going to the headlights for it to work. The manual for the spots probably has a basic wiring diagram for that setup, its pretty easy.

Clever mounting location though, show us some pics! ;)

peace,
sam

justo316
12-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Ok, never posted pics before. I'll try attaching them.

justo316
12-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Cool, seems to work...
Head on shot...

TiminIndy
12-24-2003, 05:46 AM
it looks like you have a Euro version, with the turn signals down next to the headlights--I wonder if these make it harder to see your turn signals??

I guess you could mount those below the headlight too.

justo316
12-24-2003, 06:07 AM
I was considering putting them under the main headlights, but I don't think there is enough room.

Reecho
12-25-2003, 06:22 AM
Betta watch that current draw!!!

You draw 110 watts from just those 2 lights and the charging system can only deliver 140 watts.....there wont be enough around to run the rest of the bike.

Your best bet long term is to get the 20/20w halogen conversion from Ex_Technik...

justo316
12-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I was a bit worried about that, but there's not much I can do at this stage. And I NEED decent lights at night.

I'm hoping that my riding during the day will charge up the battery enough for me to ride at night...

Alternatively, I will keep an eye out for some lower wattage lights, cos I really like the spotties.

Reecho
12-27-2003, 09:10 PM
What was your "lead in" time to recieve the light assy into Australia??

And how was the money exchanged??

Haribolman
12-27-2003, 10:39 PM
What was your "lead in" time to recieve the light assy into Australia?? And how was the money exchanged??

Hello Reecho, I assume you're talking about the ex-technik conversion. It did take a long time for the lights to arrive...around about six weeks from when they sent them. It cost just over $200 Australian with freight and I paid up-front by direct deposit into their bank account. I'd never dealt with them before so it was a bit of a risk, but that was the only payment available.

Hope this helps you.

Harry

Reecho
12-27-2003, 10:42 PM
AAhh cool thanks for that...

I'm still waiting for the dealer(s) in Perth to get there shit together and tell me what colours are avail when and if the Piaggio engined models have arrived in Oz or if they are a long way off....

Do you have any info from the dealers over east??

Haribolman
12-27-2003, 10:50 PM
Go straight to the horse's mouth!

Send an email to Dave Ward. He's the Australian Importer of Aprilia's and he can be reached at dward@jsg.com.au.
Alternatively, go to Aprilia Australia (http://www.aprilia.com.au) and send an eamil to them from there.

Reecho
12-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Thanks Harry :)

Just sent one off now hopefully they will respond promptly when they get back to work in the new year..

:worship:

justo316
12-28-2003, 02:27 AM
Reecho - If it's any help, I saw a couple new red DiTech's at Scooter Shop when I picked up mine. They were red, and they had big Piaggio stickers on them, so I assume they are the new models you are talking about.

Reecho
12-28-2003, 07:10 AM
hehehehe....

Thats funny because when i spoke to them about the Piaggio repower for the Ditech's Frank was not aware.........LOL

Oh well sounds interesting....

He did say all his Ditech stock was sold......hmm

Oh well time to wait till new year..

Reecho
01-15-2004, 03:55 AM
Well i have sent off an e-mail to them (Ex-Technik) and still no response!!!

Dammit

R they sleeping over there!!

Any other suppliers got these light kits!!!

Jebediah
01-19-2004, 12:24 AM
hm, and wh0t can he (we) do? send 1000 emails? would it make a difference? :confused:

ditechspain
01-19-2004, 03:41 AM
You could always contact AF1 or one of the other US dealers to get a price for the US spec headlight. It's a better technical solution as it has dip and main beam potential and you can upgrade from 35 watt to 45 or 55 watt depending on what sort of riding you do and how much charge you are putting in.

The switching would take a bit of work, but the switch on the right side of the bar is interchangeable with switches on other aprilias, piaggios and even some of the Korean or taiwanese models and you ought to be able to find a 3 position switch in Austrialia, allowing you to select no light, dip, and main with a bit of rewiring of the front lights. Or I guess you could just wire it up using a US spec switch. There is a special bit of wiring loom in the Aprilia parts list which converts the twin headlight system to the US spec.

The only other problem would be if the us headlight has an asymetric dipped beam to throw the dipped beam to the right, as I think Austrialia still drives on the left (and correct!) side of the road. maybe one of the US posters would like to comment.

There was a post from a us dealer quoting the price and I think it was about competitive in the US with the german solution but it was before the board got revamped and split into sr50 and ditech last year and I couldn't find it in search.

One point in his favour was that when I mailed him, he took the trouble to reply which would be an improvement for you, I guess. I couldn't face the prospect of paying the import duties and other charges to bring the light back to the EU which might have doubled the cost.

brizSR50
01-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Hi,

You can get fined in australia for having the wrong dip on your headlights. Cops don't like light shining in their faces. It use to happen to me when I owned the peugeot. I brought some headlights from france and they dipped the wrong way. I personally would go for the EU solution. Only my 2 cents

Cheers Nick

Reecho
01-20-2004, 04:27 AM
Yeah well go on how long will 1000 e-mails take to send.....
:bitchslap

any Sepo owners care to fill us in about thier headlight beams??

phidauex
01-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Just for reference, I checked out the light on my US SR50 Ditech '01, and the beam points straight ahead, on both high and low beams. It doesn't dip to either the left or the right, so it should be fine for use in crazy lefthand driving countries. ;)

Peace,
sam

ditechspain
01-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Sorry Phideaux (wouldn't Fido be easier?). I didn't make myself clear. what I meant to say was that the dip beam goes straight ahead but it kicks up on one side to illuminate pedestrians and parked cars and is down the other side so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers.

I was watching the old John Wayne version of Stagecoach yesterday. The stagecoach driver sits on the right as they do in all those old movies and the passengers get in and out on the left next to the stagecoach office. The horse drawn carriages for the tourists here in Spain are the same.

just like right hand drive countries do to this day, but the opposite way to the way you do!!

phidauex
01-25-2004, 05:49 PM
I think I know what you mean, ditechspain. Most cars here do what you say, the beam illuminates more to one side than another, for lighting up street signs and pedestrians.

I'm trying to tell you that these don't do that, the beam goes straight ahead, and is perfectly symmetrical. It would be fine to use elsewhere in the world, regardless of which side of the road you drive on.

peace,
sam

ditechspain
01-26-2004, 04:00 AM
Thanks phidauex. I thought you probably had understood me but I wasn't quite sure. now all i have to do is find someone who will source me one inside the EU. i did source some trailer bearings from the US once for about $25 plus the freight. I got charged import duty and vat on the combined cost and it about doubled what I expected to pay.

Reecho
01-31-2004, 08:01 AM
Thanks for your replies gents......

I am wondering where the dip switch goes on the aussie spec bikes..........

Reecho
02-09-2004, 05:45 AM
still no answer!!!!

suppose i need to e-mail again

ditechspain
02-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Reecho, as I said, a number of other makes use the same mouliding as Aprilia for the lights switch and some are made to do off, side and headight with the dip/main beam being via another switch.. how about wiring it to off, dip and main? The answer might be to use the switch from the sr 125 which might be another source of the lights as it has a Peugeot-like systyem of a main beam and separate dip beam. i found one in the street the other day and it looks more impressive than I expected. Did they import those to Oz land?

Reecho
02-10-2004, 05:26 AM
Sorry i meant a response on the Headlight units not so much the switch gear which is not a concern at this stage..

Rusty
02-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Has any one looked in to installing a xenon lighting system on there bike? They have a low power draw and I think they have a lower running temp. (won't melt anything) but they cost a lot and would take a little know how to wire them up. They are alot brighter than Halogen bulbs.

ditechspain
02-25-2004, 10:39 PM
xenon lights. Don't they cost as much as the scoot does?

phidauex
02-26-2004, 12:33 AM
You can do HID lights, but you'd need a new enclosure, since there isn't a drop in replacement for this style of bulb. Also, you need a place to put the ballasts. Also, you need a different bulb and a different reflector for the high beam and low beam, so you'd need to rework the whole lens setup.

It is possible, but you'd probably spend close to 1000$ doing it.

peace,
sam

Reecho
06-22-2004, 04:59 AM
I finally got around to pulling out my euro style headlight and try to up it's output. Well i managed to find a perfect bolt in ( with a little help) light replacement. It also has the globes fitting from the rear too so it can be serviced. The bike runs 1 12V 55W unit well so the output allright. Stay tuned for pics and info....

BTW current cost is about $100AUD...:D

UPDATE: The scoot can only handle 55w via the lighting coil. I will look at running the 2nd light via the charging coil but as it stands a huge difference in light output...

loveofpeds
06-22-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Jebediah

u have a very nice scooter, great choise in color (i have the same :D )
:fangs:

Must be a nice colour...I have it too!