PDA

View Full Version : Did I Get Screwed?

thorin21
05-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi

I purchased my 2004 RSV-R a couple of weeks ago. I think the history of the bike was that it was repossessed a couple of years ago and then the auction place couldn't sell it. A car dealer bought it (no idea why) and they couldn't sell it out of their showroom for a year. They finally decided to advertise and got a lot of interest. Anyway, I managed to sew up the deal before anyone else could get their sticky mits on it.

I took it immediately to a dealer for service, it indicated it needed a service despite having only 3,500kms on it! The bike is pristine absolutely nothing externally wrong with it - the (OE) tires look consistant for a bike that's done that kind of mileage, as do the grips and the rubber on the gear shift.

I've just called the dealer and he's told me the following: -

1 - Nothing is coming up on the computer as wrong with the bike.
2 - There was some sort of sludge in with the oil - it feels like a lubricant of some sort but he's not sure.
3 - The sprocket and chain is on the way out.
4 - The throttle bodies are really dirty.
5 - He hasn't checked the valves but is going to considering the weird stuff so far.

To me that sounds like someone may have used this bike hard (maybe even as a track bike) with little or no maintenance...

Another problem I have encountered is the following: -

On startup, the warning light stays on.
You can open the throttle to full whack and the revs will climb to around 4k then refuse to go higher, with the revs "blipping" up and down between 2.5k and 4k.
If you shut it off and restart - it works like a dream.

My big concern is that this is a high mileage bike that has had the mileage wiped off somehow, or has had the glitch when the battery was disconnected.

Anyone got any advice or soothing comments to make? No horror stories please, I've thrown myself deep into debt to fulfill this RSV-R dream...

Thanks

MisterSprinkles
05-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Hope you get this sorted out.

I like to say "Buy new, no screw"

thorin21
05-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Would love to buy new but the price tag on these beasts in Canada is outrageous.

BB1000
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi

Another problem I have encountered is the following: -

On startup, the warning light stays on.
You can open the throttle to full whack and the revs will climb to around 4k then refuse to go higher, with the revs "blipping" up and down between 2.5k and 4k.
If you shut it off and restart - it works like a dream.

My big concern is that this is a high mileage bike that has had the mileage wiped off somehow, or has had the glitch when the battery was disconnected.

Anyone got any advice or soothing comments to make? No horror stories please, I've thrown myself deep into debt to fulfill this RSV-R dream...

Thanks

The 4 k rev problem sounds like the oil pressure switch, mine went at 8000 miles.....cheap part Ģ10 here in the UK

The ECU will hold the running hours of the engine so you can estimate the mileage from that

TB would be dirty i guess if its been standing about for 2 years

AmareAprilia
05-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Find a used one in Detroit ?

I think the 04 bikes are known for the odometer mileage resetting to zero !

The sludge in the oil maybe from sitting so long. Who knows how long it's been sitting. Maybe as long as 3 years ? Any old fuel could be varnished and gummy too.

It must have really been thrashed to wear out the oem sprocket and chain in 3500km. It sounds like you got a good deal on it. Hopefully some TLC will get it running well again.

BB1000
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
The chain just might be seized up from standing so long.

thorin21
05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys, some useful advice... I'll be lavishing all the attention she deserves asap...

In all honesty the bike runs like a dream other than what I mentioned above. I'll keep an eye on it and make sure I'm double and triple checking everything as often as possible.

BigMille
05-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Have you checked your voltage and the brown connectors?

Youo may want to do a search on "brown connector"

Rutan
05-20-2008, 09:36 PM
It sounds like a high mileage bike that sat out for a awhile and after sitting unused, the battery went dead and reset the odometer. It was then probably moved to the next dealer where they rode it a bit not knowing the dash had reset and thought all should be good for that low of miles. Error light with nor error codes sounds odd. Are they using the AXONE to test, or the dash buttons? The 4k rev problem is the bikes internal limp mode when it reads a bad code. It could be all sorts of things wrong that a good AXONE tech can find. This is all fixable so you are headed in the right direction. The chain and sprocket can be replaced, sludge removed, and fault codes traced.

Marcus

thorin21
05-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Not sure what they were using but it was definitely plugged into something... not just using dash buttons. No error codes were coming up. The tech thinks it could be to do with the sludge and associated oil pressure. The valve clearances were spot on apparently

The sludge has been removed, the sprockets and chain changed and it seemed to run well on the way back from the service.

I'm taking it back in a couple of weeks for the swingarm recall. If something comes up in the interim or any issues re-occur it will be staying with them until we can work it out.

Any more advice is welcome.

BB1000
05-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Bypass the BROWN CONNECTORS............:bump:

Roadless
05-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Sludge could be the original run-in oil, but worn chain and sprockets, more than hard riding, I am changing mine just now because the bike is already in pieces and being severely overhauled, could have gotten more out of it.
Have 16.000km already, would have lasted to at least 20.000km .
( and I prefer to ride like a rabid banshee, rain, sun or snow )

but like the guys say, if anything else is OK, and error code solved, you have a good bike anyway.
( besides, who hasnīt had to change tires, chain&sprocket and oil when buying used ? )