PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 2002 and 2003 model?

justo316
12-08-2003, 03:37 AM
I've just put a deposit down on my first scooter (SR Ditech).

I just noticed on my receipt that it says it's a 2002 model. Is there any difference to the 2003 model?

Need to know urgently, as I'm supposed to pick it up in a few days.

Cheers

NATO-ohjus
12-08-2003, 05:10 AM
Well 2003 has this thing(I dont know what it is called) in exhaust. So it doesnt rew so much

Jebediah
12-08-2003, 10:59 AM
catalizator

i hope i got it right

u yust get the 2002 model, better yet get a SR carbed model ;D

M|t3k
12-08-2003, 02:50 PM
DiTechs 2002 and 2003 ('till 7.2003) are the same.

The only thing is, that, when you would like to sell it, you would get 15% less money... :) because it's a year older.

PAUL
12-09-2003, 11:04 AM
differences:

2003 model has a speedometer that goes to 80kmh and the 2002 had a speedo that goes to 120

2003 model has a silencer that is painted black, the 2002 model has a chrome silencer.

euhm, maybe some other small details.

justo316
12-09-2003, 11:20 AM
I didn't notice the speedo, but then again, I had assumed it was a 2002, so didn't bother taking notice.

The silencer however, wasn't chrome, it looked like a light, pastel blue/cream colour. A bit like it had been primed but no one finished painting it. Gonna have to do something about that cos it looks crap.

Looks like I'll stick with the 2002, since I also heard it's a bit easier to get going fast. And, the 120km/h speedo (if it does have it) is cool, cos I plan on making it as quick as possible.

SiR50
12-09-2003, 01:21 PM
I think that "primed" looking piece on the silencer is just a protective piece of plastic-type stuff. I noticed after a long ride at higher speeds mine had started to melt around the edges. My dealer just took it off for me. Underneath that plastic crap it is polished metal.

justo316
12-09-2003, 01:47 PM
Wicked...that sounds good. Feel much better about getting a 2002 model now.

Picking up next thursday.... gonna be derestricted, but they don't have the gameboy stuff *yet*, nor do they have any weights that will fit the stock variator. So, I'm gonna have to live with a poor running scoot for a while...Still can't wait though.

SiR50
12-09-2003, 02:16 PM
...justo316... what color 2002 did you get? good luck and have fun!

MrMow
12-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Justo, as you said you are in OZ, you will find all of the SBK scoots will be 02 models as are the yellows and blues. (some places with really old stock may even have 01 plated?)

Early 03 should be the Ferrari red and mid 03 will be the new colour schemes (I'm guessing.. I haven't seen any yet)

justo316
12-09-2003, 08:43 PM
My Ditech is Yellow. It was the only colour that was in-store, and the colour I wanted. The only other store to stock Aprilia bikes had the Spiderman one, but I'm not cool enough to ride that.

...I'm talking as if I have it already...1 week to go!
:D

Haribolman
12-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Good to see another Aussie has discovered the Ditech. We're a small but dedicated group. Which part of Oz are you in? I'm on the Gold Coast.

I bought mine exactly a year ago and I still love riding it every day. The fuel economy is amazing! I can highly recommend upgrading the headlights if you intend doing ANY night riding, but it's not an easy process and it cost me just over $200 to get the parts from Germany. And a digital bicycle speedo will come in very handy because the Aprilia speedo is RIDICULOUSLY inaccurate. If it shows 90km/h, you'll really be doing around 75!

If it was me, I would have got the Spiderman...I just lurve it. How could you not be cool enough? The Spiderman MAKES you look cool!!! :)

I was under the impression that the 03 models have the gearbox restrictor ring permanently cast onto the gearbox shaft, making it rather difficult to derestrict them. There was a thread about this in the last few months. Anyone care to correct me? Because according to some I'm apparantly just a fool!!

P.S. When starting the bike make sure you wait until the fuel pump stops pumping (probably about 5 seconds) before hitting the start button. As I've recently found out it makes AN ENORMOUS difference to how well the bike runs.

justo316
12-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Haribolman: Hey, I'm from Perth. I just reckon the spiderman paint was a little too spiderman, if you get what I mean. And I didn't like the gold rims. And as it turns out, getting an '02 model seems the way to go in terms of trying to make it go fast.

Jebediah
12-10-2003, 03:25 AM
P.S. When starting the bike make sure you wait until the fuel pump stops pumping (probably about 5 seconds) before hitting the start button. As I've recently found out it makes AN ENORMOUS difference to how well the bike runs.

i still find it funny, how you tell ths to everyone, and u think u discovered hot water ;):D

Haribolman
12-10-2003, 04:01 AM
Hey justo316, how's Perth this time of year? I bet you don't see many other Ditechs on the road. Heck, in one year of riding I've only passed two of them on the road (and one of them was the shop bike for the local dealer). There's a lot of rental bikes on the Gold Coast but they seem to be the cheaper Taiwanese-type bikes like TGB and Bug.

Yes the spiderman paint job sticks out like dog's balls on a cat...that's why I like it (the paint job, not the balls!) And yes, the '02 model seems a safer way to go.

Finally, thanks Jebediah for reminding me again that deep down I'm still A FOOL!!! :)

justo316
12-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Haribolman: Perth is a bit funny at the moment. Been getting a bit cold at nights. Day's are glorious. But will definately need to rug up if I go riding at night and this weather keeps up.

Haven't seen a single Ditech on the road yet which is a shame. In fact, I barely see a couple scooters per week on the roads.

...one week to go.....

Reecho
12-16-2003, 10:23 AM
Guys.....

Are there any SBK replica Sr's 2002 build left in Oz??

Bugger if there aint i may have to resort to a Touno 03' model...