PDA

View Full Version : my SR50 SLOWWW!!!!

urameatball
04-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Purchased fall2007.

removed restriction ring, remapped.
hit 87kph on slight downhill and stays there because of limiter. high 70's on flat. Usually rev's to about 7000rpm-7500rpm.

dealership replaced stock 11g rollers with 6.8g rollers and installed new map.
SLOOOW! might get to 70kph on a nice downhill. revs to about 8500rpm. No sign of sputtering, rev limiter does not kick it, it just feels like it runs out of juice.

Reverted to old map, same thing.

the bike lacks power in bottom end, mid range, and top speed. I raced my friend's completely stock BWS and he pulls on me!!! WTF?

Dealership can't figure it out, I can't figure it out. Aprilia sucks?

canyondancer
04-15-2008, 10:04 PM
How many miles are on it?

Lorenzo
04-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Aprilia sucks?

No, Aprilia's don't suck; we just haven't figured out what the situations are for you yet. Have patience. In no time, your Aprilia will be GREAT again!

Somebody, HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLP !!!

--Lorenzo

urameatball
04-15-2008, 10:31 PM
1300km.

the dealer keeps asking me to come in and zap different maps onto it.
I hardly think it's mapping though. already tried 2 and same lack of power.

muchacho
04-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Where did you buy the bike, who is your dealer?

urameatball
04-16-2008, 08:02 AM
vespavaughan.
but I brought it to motoretta over the winter, and that's when it came back ridiculously slow. My buddy with the BWS is laughing at me because I paid so much for a slow unreliable scoot.

muchacho
04-16-2008, 08:24 AM
LOL - go Vespa Eurosport on 45 Essandar Dr. in Toronto. The guys there know how to de-restrict properly.

urameatball
04-16-2008, 09:16 AM
LOL - go Vespa Eurosport on 45 Essandar Dr. in Toronto. The guys there know how to de-restrict properly.

They're the ones I brought it in to, and the bike came back slow.
brought it back yesterday, remapped to old map... still no good.
they say I should bring it in again tomorrow so they can use an even older map... somehow I have my doubts as to how a really old map will help me get my power back.

George can't figure it out, neither can Ernie.

I miss the days of japanese reliability sometimes. :(

muchacho
04-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Purchased fall2007.

hit 87kph on slight downhill and stays there because of limiter. high 70's on flat. Usually rev's to about 7000rpm-7500rpm.

SLOOOW! might get to 70kph on a nice downhill. revs to about 8500rpm. No sign of sputtering, rev limiter does not kick it, it just feels like it runs out of juice.

the bike lacks power in bottom end, mid range, and top speed. I raced my friend's completely stock BWS and he pulls on me!!! WTF?

Your bike should be doing 8500 RPM on accelaration. Are you sure everything is tight in the variator? You top speed should be near the mid 80s @ 9000rpm.

If this is a new bike, ask the shop to ride another SR50 side by side. They ride yours, you ride theirs. If your bike can't keep up they should fix it.

urameatball
04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
just called george, leaving the bike with him until he gets it fixed.

bought the bike in sept.07.
this will be my 4th time bringing it to him with issues, totalling about 2 months in the shop.

should have just gotten a pogo stick instead of a scooter... it's a bit more reliable.

muchacho
04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Why haven't they just put in a new ECU?

urameatball
04-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Why haven't they just put in a new ECU?

cuz that would obviously be too smart

muchacho
04-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Some people say that if you have problems derestricting the ECU, you should flash it multiple times. I am sure they tried that though.

Your bike is definately still in restricted mode. Have a look here (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78647) to see if you have a similar bike feel.

Does anyone know if it is necessary to take the bike apart in order to try a spare ECU on it?

Vikter
04-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Some people say that if you have problems derestricting the ECU, you should flash it multiple times. I am sure they tried that though.

Your bike is definately still in restricted mode. Have a look here (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78647) to see if you have a similar bike feel.

Does anyone know if it is necessary to take the bike apart in order to try a spare ECU on it?

I think you need to take the legshield off to get to the computer.

Phoumistyles
04-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Purchased fall2007.

hmm when i converted the kph to mph it seems right... my top speed downhill is 94 kph but that was on a very steep hill and it was jerking bc of the limiter... but on an average hill i go around 87 kph, and on a flat 78-81 kph, i think if u got an exhaust put on it you will be happier, i will have one in about a month or so when i get the money saved up.

SilverSurfer
04-16-2008, 09:05 PM
...Your bike is definately still in restricted mode....

In the first post, he says the scoot revs up to 8500. If it's revving that high, it's not restricted, as the restricted ECU rev-limiter kicks the RPMs down when it gets up to 7500. Unless older software kicks down at a higher RPM and is restricting by some other method. So unless its been re-mapped into a restricted mode since the first post, it's not restricted.

muchacho
04-16-2008, 09:11 PM
In the first post, he says the scoot revs up to 8500. If it's revving that high, it's not restricted, as the restricted ECU rev-limiter kicks the RPMs down when it gets up to 7500. Unless older software kicks down at a higher RPM and is restricting by some other method. So unless its been re-mapped into a restricted mode since the first post, it's not restricted.

He said 8500RPM but only when going downhill, it is 7000rpm-7500rpm on flats.

SilverSurfer
04-16-2008, 10:19 PM
the rev-limiter isn't watching anything other than RPM, and if it sees 7,500, it kicks in.

muchacho
04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
You are right silver, I just read my break-in/top end posts and it appear that his bike is derestricted. In other words, the ECU is set to development mode.

He also has 6.8g rollers.... it must be something else, maybe mechanical.

urameatball, how much do you weigh? Can you describe your RPMs in relation to speed as you accelerate from 0-75km/h on a flat?

urameatball
04-16-2008, 11:47 PM
LOL, I SOOOOO wish I could do 0-75kph on flat.

I'm 135lb skinny mofo.

Today as I was riding it to the dealer, I drafted all the way down a huge downhill. I briefly hit 76kph and it was reving high... like 9500rpm I believe.

Generally the revs stay around the 8500rpm mark upto my top speed of 62kph on flat :(

muchacho
04-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Did they check that the Variator ring was removed? This is basic derestriction.

urameatball
04-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Did they check that the Variator ring was removed? This is basic derestriction.

yeah, they removed it the first day I got my bike... it's in my drawer right now :D

muchacho
04-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Then it definitely sounds like a mechanical problem... you need to do a side by side comparison of the bike with a working bike and then you will need to do some possibly lengthy warranty work.

urameatball
04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
lets hope it doesn't come to that.
Just got a call from them today saying my bike is ready. We'll see later tonight whether its fixed or not :P

dankovica
04-17-2008, 04:26 PM
haha u kno what same problem, i brought it to motoretta during the winter, they put malossi gears and it came back slower than before

Ciudale
04-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Longer gears will slower you bike if it doesn't have the power to use it.

dankovica
04-17-2008, 04:42 PM
i got malossi 70cc kit, and leo zx pipe so i think it should

Vikter
04-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Did you get the Malossi ECU?

muchacho
04-17-2008, 05:05 PM
lets hope it doesn't come to that.
Just got a call from them today saying my bike is ready. We'll see later tonight whether its fixed or not :P

Maybe try playing around with the rollers before you get a final verdict.

Phoumistyles
04-17-2008, 09:53 PM
LOL, I SOOOOO wish I could do 0-75kph on flat.

I'm 135lb skinny mofo.

Today as I was riding it to the dealer, I drafted all the way down a huge downhill. I briefly hit 76kph and it was reving high... like 9500rpm I believe.

Generally the revs stay around the 8500rpm mark upto my top speed of 62kph on flat :(

62 kph on flat??? in ur very first post you say that its usually high 70's on flat... make up your mind on how fast it goes, its very confusing. if u are actually getting high 70s on flat thats about how fast it should be going. and normal rpm range at full throttle is 8500.

urameatball
04-17-2008, 11:33 PM
62 kph on flat??? in ur very first post you say that its usually high 70's on flat... make up your mind on how fast it goes, its very confusing. if u are actually getting high 70s on flat thats about how fast it should be going. and normal rpm range at full throttle is 8500.

that was before taking it to the dealership.
if you read past that paragraph, you'll realize that I took it to the dealership and the bike came back a lot slower.

Phoumistyles
04-18-2008, 02:42 AM
that was before taking it to the dealership.
if you read past that paragraph, you'll realize that I took it to the dealership and the bike came back a lot slower.

ok im sorry didnt catch that... when u took it to the shop the 2nd time did u go for an update for the ecu or replaced the roller weights? when i went to get mine derestricted they replaced my weights along with ecu and removing the ring. they told me that i had to replace the rollers otherwise the derestricion wouldnt work well..

urameatball
04-18-2008, 10:30 AM
my bikes has had the ring removed, ecu map updated, and rollers replaced.

Got it back from the dealer last night and it's back up to speed. They told me they loaded an old map and it was fine. Mind you, the rev limiter keeps kicking in at 87kph and that bugs the hell out of me because I hit that limit fairly regularly. Any way around that???

87kph is around 10000rpm for me.